Basic VG Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
I popped in to my local Boots this afternoon and picked up two 200ml bottles of VG. Had trouble tracking down distilled water though but my local chemist has ordered me 5 litres which i can pick up on Friday.

Just ordered a range of syringes, some amber glass bottles and 100ml of 72mg nicotine so i'll be ready to go when that arrives.

Reactions: Izan

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
I found loads of de-ionised water but i was under the impression i needed distilled water so i was on a mission :)

They are different. Distilled is water has been distilled and de-ionised water has been de-ionised :)

Distilled water appears to have gone through a purification process involving boiling. Where as de-ionised water goes through a filtering process involving an electrical charge. Reading up about it all now both appear to be fine, i just didn't want to take any chances and i was on a mission

Reactions: Falconeer

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
I've mine all mixed shaken and steeping. Car shops often sell de-ionised water for batteries and homecraft ironmongers etc sell ditto for steam irons. As far as I am aware de-ionised and distilled water are the same....

Great news Falconer! do you need to steep unflavoured basic juice? or have you flavoured yours?

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Haven't flavoured it yet - I discovered a stash of St Bruno pipe tobacco I'd forgotten about (wasn't called Falconeer for nothing!) so I'm cold macerating it to use as flavouring for the juice which'll take about a week.

When I researched the mixing it said that the molecules of pg/vg/ and nicotine needed a certain time to bond - hence my shaking and steeping....but as usual I'm learning as I go!

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
Brilliant, good luck with the macerating!

I've seen a youtube video of someone mixing a single flavour juice, giving it a good shape then pouring it in to his tank and vaping it. Mind you that was a PG/VG mix that had a higher PG percentage in it.

It would be good to know if a a juice consisting of just VG and nicotine needs steeping

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
The one I watched had the guy saying he tried it right away and it was fine but would improve after this magical bonding took place...so I just played safe. My mix is 50/50 pg/vg so far btw. As the tobacco is macerating in pg it'll skew the final balance a wee bit but not greatly.

If yours is nic and vg only - why not try a bit just to see so long as you gave it a good shake when you assembled it?

Last edited:

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Sorry to hi-jack Stewart's thread temporarily.

Thanks Hans - I've read round this maceration a lot; I'm lucky that I can experiment/play around wastefully with this as I thought I'd gifted all of my large stock of pipe tobacco to friends and relatives whereas I found a kilo jar of St Bruno in the back of a cupboard.

I know most people aim for a concentrate but I'm aiming more for a light flavouring sauce which I'll add to my 12 strength nic/pg/vg liquid along with caramel, vanilla, sourish lemon and oriental tobacco absolute to make (for me) a tobacco flavoured blend that I'll like.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Curiosity got the better of me this morning so I loaded half a clean Nautilus Mini tank with the basic unflavoured juice ( 18 strength still ) and tried it.

Vaped well, good amount of vapour, slightly sweet taste with maybe just a wee hint of nuts ( almond, subtle like we get in Spain??) - I like it - when I get paid at the end of the month I'll certainly be making more.

Have you tried yours yet Stewart?

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Sorry to hi-jack Stewart's thread temporarily.

Thanks Hans - I've read round this maceration a lot; I'm lucky that I can experiment/play around wastefully with this as I thought I'd gifted all of my large stock of pipe tobacco to friends and relatives whereas I found a kilo jar of St Bruno in the back of a cupboard.

I know most people aim for a concentrate but I'm aiming more for a light flavouring sauce which I'll add to my 12 strength nic/pg/vg liquid along with caramel, vanilla, sourish lemon and oriental tobacco absolute to make (for me) a tobacco flavoured blend that I'll like.

Look here for some great tips on tobacco extraction. I do this all the time with great results. Put some tobacco in a jar and add PG covering the tobacco to just slightly over the top of it. You can speed the extraction process up by letting it sit in hot water at about 140F (60c) for 12-24 hours (A crock pot works good for this) then draw up the extract into a syringe and filter it hot through a coffee filter. You can substitute VG for PG but give it a good 24 hours in a hot bath because VG takes longer being thicker and it also takes longer to filter. It's important to filter it when hot as it will be thinner and go through the filter faster. I will often pour the extract into the funnel with filter and jar then put it right into the microwave and hit it for about 10 seconds every so often to keep it hot while it filters back into the jar. It takes about 5 minutes to filter doing it this way. If you do a cold filter it can take 24 hours to filter.

Use that at 20% in your vg/pg/NIC base.

Liquid Extraction From Tobacco

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread