Status
Not open for further replies.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
There's been a million threads on this topic, right? I've searched, found lots of banter, but haven't come across something like a side by side comparison. Specifically interested in

CAP Vanilla Custard *
CAP Vanilla Custard V2
TFA Vanilla Custard *
FW Vanilla Custard
FA Custard

and any others that are readily available, that you all recommend.

Let's just assume for the sake of argument that we all know and understand the perceived risks of the "*'s" on the list.

I'm new to this and lack experience. I can't find a "DX" version of the TFA. Vanilla Swirl maybe?

I have CAP V1 and TFA in front of me now, mixed at identical 10% ratios, aged identically as well. vaping them side by side on rda's with (nearly) identical builds, at identical wattage. I will say that, compared to the others on the list, both of these have a nail polish under aroma, particularly the TFA. The TFA also has a bit of chemical taste...a dryness that I can't quite describe, where the CAP V1 is more "buttery". You folks who have done side by side comparisons, what do you perceive? Is taste so subjective? What is your favorite on that list (or another that's not on the list), and comparatively speaking, why?

Or just delete this thread and link me to the one where it's already been discussed. :)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
My use of this Custard flavor is, in mixing only. Both CA and TFA are equally good to my buds. I believe CA and TFA both bring different accents to the mix. I sense a little more spicy taste in the TFA. Could be good/bad to some others but fine for me.
I can't find a "DX" version of the TFA. Vanilla Swirl maybe?
Yes, I think so. I have read that VS/Vanilla Swirl is not, an as direct cross over, as DX/V1 comparisons. I have tried VS and it's good, but prefer a true CA and TFA Custard flavor.
I do not use a lot of CA and TFA Custard flavors in my mixes nor use either as an ADV in recipes.

Reactions: jambi

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
My use of this Custard flavor is, in mixing only. Both CA and TFA are equally good to my buds. I believe CA and TFA both bring different accents to the mix. I sense a little more spicy taste in the TFA. Could be good/bad to some others but fine for me.

Yes, I think so. I have read that VS/Vanilla Swirl is not, an as direct cross over, as DX/V1 comparisons. I have tried VS and it's good, but prefer a true CA and TFA Custard flavor.
I do not use a lot of CA and TFA Custard flavors in my mixes nor use either as an ADV in recipes.
I agree with this. The TFA V1 does have a spicyness to it which to me is quite good. I haven't tried the V2 or DX versions of anything. I like living on the edge!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
There's been a million threads on this topic, right? I've searched, found lots of banter, but haven't come across something like a side by side comparison. Specifically interested in

CAP Vanilla Custard *
CAP Vanilla Custard V2
TFA Vanilla Custard *
FW Vanilla Custard
FA Custard

and any others that are readily available, that you all recommend.

Let's just assume for the sake of argument that we all know and understand the perceived risks of the "*'s" on the list.

I'm new to this and lack experience. I can't find a "DX" version of the TFA. Vanilla Swirl maybe?

I have CAP V1 and TFA in front of me now, mixed at identical 10% ratios, aged identically as well. Vaping them side by side on RDA's with (nearly) identical builds, at identical wattage. I will say that, compared to the others on the list, both of these have a nail polish under aroma, particularly the TFA. The TFA also has a bit of chemical taste...a dryness that I can't quite describe, where the CAP V1 is more "buttery". You folks who have done side by side comparisons, what do you perceive? Is taste so subjective? What is your favorite on that list (or another that's not on the list), and comparatively speaking, why?

Or just delete this thread and link me to the one where it's already been discussed. :)

Your findings are in line with what others have said.

Cap better, more buttery and creamy

TFA chemical tasting and needs far more steep time.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
Vanilla Swirl IS the DX/V2 version from TFA. It's tasty and I've always used it in the past to avoid the "naughty stuff", but I recently picked up a sampler of CAP V1 and it's nowhere near the same. It's so good I don't care if I'm vaping diketones! Lol! There is a slight "wang" to CAP V1, but it goes away in a day or 2. (Note: I'm using it at 10% as a standalone flavor, less in a mix. Taste is subjective. YMMV. Yadda yadda yadda...) VS is more of a creamy vanilla flavor and CAP VC has more of that true, buttery custard taste to it.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Vanilla Swirl IS the DX/V2 version from TFA. It's tasty and I've always used it in the past to avoid the "naughty stuff", but I recently picked up a sampler of CAP V1 and it's nowhere near the same. It's so good I don't care if I'm vaping diketones! Lol! There is a slight "wang" to CAP V1, but it goes away in a day or 2. (Note: I'm using it at 10% as a standalone flavor, less in a mix. Taste is subjective. YMMV. Yadda yadda yadda...) VS is more of a creamy vanilla flavor and CAP VC has more of that true, buttery custard taste to it.

Heh, I totally, subjectively concur with everything you've said. Magic word "buttery". That diketone-laced buttery goodness just can't be replicated in V2/DX, apparently.

Of all on the list, the FA is actually my favorite, but it's not really a true traditional custard. Still trying to nail it down, more experimentation needed.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
Heh, I totally, subjectively concur with everything you've said. Magic word "buttery". That diketone-laced buttery goodness just can't be replicated in V2/DX, apparently.

Of all on the list, the FA is actually my favorite, but it's not really a true traditional custard. Still trying to nail it down, more experimentation needed.
Has anyone tried to add CAP Butter to a DX to get the buttery taste but not the nasty stuff?

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Have not tried TFA custard but have tried both Capella's V1 and V2 , V1 is way too buttery tasting and overly sweet to me but thats the diketone's apparently as a very knowledgeable mixer explained what Diacetyl and Acetyl Propionyl smell like on another forum.

My girlfriend opened a sampler bottle and I could smell the D/AP from several feet away. I find it to be a sickly sweet, buttery, greasy odor, and it tastes about the same to me.

I'm glad i like V2 so much , it gets fantastic reviews from every site it's reviewed on , it doesn't have that overpowering butter flavor which i like but some don't.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere

The FA custard has little vanilla flavor and a bit of lemon flavor.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I think "butter" flavor has diketone's so why add it to DX?
CAP Butter and Butter Cream are not reported to contain Diketones.

CAP Butter called Golden Butter on BCV states:
This is the new version that is replacing the original Butter from Capella.
This product may contains Acetyl Propionyl and/or Acetoin

None of the nasties are stated with the CAP Butter Cream.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
CAP Butter and Butter Cream are not reported to contain Diketones.

CAP Butter called Golden Butter on BCV states:
This is the new version that is replacing the original Butter from Capella.
This product may contains Acetyl Propionyl and/or Acetoin

None of the nasties are stated with the CAP Butter Cream.
I think those are diketones.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
I think those are diketones.
Not exactly according to BCV.

Avoid Diacetyl - It is best to avoid using flavors which contain diacetyl. Diacetyl is ok to eat, so it is found in some food flavoring, but is known to be harmful when inhaled.

Custard Notes - Acetoin and Acetyl Proprionyl are sometimes used in place of diacetyl to mimic that rich custard taste. The concern with these is that under certain circumstances they may "catalyze" and form molecules that contain trace amounts of diacetyl. We do our best to determine which flavorings contain these and disclose on the product page which, if any, are present and the amounts found in the flavoring. While we do our best to get this information from the companies who manufacture the flavors sold on this site, we cannot guarantee the absence of acetoin and/or acetyl proprionyl for any flavors. Because so little is known about the safety of inhaling food flavoring we encourage those with concerns to avoid using flavorings all together.

Reactions: jambi

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I have the TFA butter.* By itself it's nasty, but it's definitely not a stand alone flavor. I just tried it that way to get the flavor profile, but even through the nastiness I can taste that buttery potential. I'm going to try it at like 1% with the CAP V2 custard. The CAP butters mentioned above are on my wish list.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Vanilla Swirl IS the DX/V2 version from TFA. It's tasty and I've always used it in the past to avoid the "naughty stuff", but I recently picked up a sampler of CAP V1 and it's nowhere near the same. It's so good I don't care if I'm vaping diketones!

Do I understand it correctly? ... I have no flavorings that contain Diacetyl. Acetoin and Acetyl Proprionyl are substituted for Diacetyl. Under certain conditions these subs can catalyze into Diacetyl. So, Acetoin/Acetyl Proprionyl are ok as long as those conditions are avoided.

Obvious question then...what are those conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread