New to ecigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
Welcome to ECF:

You have a lot of choices. Are you thinking starting out with the kind that kind of look like cigarettes (cigalikes) or Penstyle or jumping in deep with a mod and : they come in several different shapes and atomizers for the ejuice, (nicotine.)

Most start with cigalikes (I did) but wish I'd have started a little higher on the ecig food chain, lol.

You should read the sticky at the top of the New Members Forum if you aren't already familiar with vaping. It can be really confusing. It was for me at least.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Welcome to ECF!

I'll be 56 this year. I used tobacco products for abt 10+ yrs, a combination of chewing tobacco, cigars, and cigarettes. When I quit...which was quite often in the end I tried a patch, gum, the patch again, and inhalers. Nothing worked until I tried vaping, and I enjoy it.

I jumped right in with what is called a "75 watt box mod from Sigelei and an Aspire Atlantis II tank." They have new items out now. Since then I've purchased a 150W Sigeli, and am using the tank and what they call an RDA, which is something that you drip liquid on to. The tank is the easiest device to use as you just fill it with liquid and vape.

A lot of other people may suggest low powered pens but they did not look like they were capable of delivering the amount of nicotine I'd like, so I went straight to the box mod.

Wish you the best!

gingertalk196

ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2014
    New Jersey
    Hi Linda, I started with cigalikes as many here have done but they don't last very long and are a bit expensive. I then moved on to an Ego C Twist and still find this just right for me. There is a section on the forum called Simple Solutions and New Members Info which should answer a lot of your questions. I you have a vape store nearby they are usually very helpful in guiding you in the right direction. An additional benefit to going to a vape store is that you can try out different flavors to see what you might like. Have fun and happy vaping! Ginger

Susan~S

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 12, 2014
    Mpls/St.Paul, MN
    Hello and welcome to the forum @Linda Brown. Glad to have you here!:)

I often recommend an iStick 30 watt or Coolfire 4 (both mods) with an Aspire Mini Nautillus or eLeaf GS Air M (both tanks) to someone new to vaping. Videos below.

eLeaf iStick 30 Watt
    Innokin Coolfire 4
    Aspire Nautilus Mini
    eLeaf GS Air M Tank

Picture of the Mini Nautilus on the iStick 30 watt

4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

_________

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.
    Here are a few more links from New Members Information <= Link covers many topics. Here is one of them:
    Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
    12 mg = 20 cigarettes
    18 mg = 30 cigarettes
    24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2015
    Dunoon, West of Scotland.
    Welcome to the forum - it's never too late to change - I was 65 when I took up vaping.

The small E pens and cig-a-likes have been mentioned already - I too tried these about three years ago and they didn't work for me.

Personally I think Susan-S has nailed it with her links and recommendations - an iStick 30 with a Nautilus Mini and a packet of spare coils ( which are really easy to change) was the real route to success for me and many others.

Good luck and enjoy the journey at your own pace. BTW I would recommend visiting a Vape Shop at some stage to try different flavours of e liquid - most folk start off thinking "It has to be tobacco flavoured and it has to taste like my favourite cigarettes" - but it doesn't as you'll find.

As a final tip, IMHO if you get a craving - vaping a liquid with a wee bit menthol in it can help dramatically.

Welcome again.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Welcome @Linda Brown

I am almost sure that your cigarettes will be 0.8mg of Nicotine. 8mg is 12 x UK 'medium' cigarettes. (Not that far off something like a Marlb' light).

At the moment, there are 3 established types of e-cigarette.

I would say, in my opinion, there about 4 levels of 'power' (nicotine and/or vapor/flavor)

1. The plastic stick versions are almost all poor and certainly in my opinion not good enough for anything other than a light smoker or someone with serious commitment to quitting. (or someone who likes to smoke and wants a socially easier alternative)

2. The next level up (explained elsewhere too) can be a good introduction. (eGo e-cigs or similar). They can be good, but battery life and liquid capacity and nicotine delivery can be hit or miss.

With both these catagories of e-cigarette, the chances of paying too much for an inferior product is very high. You cannot trust search engines. You most certainly should NOT trust generic 'review' websites.

3. The most practical and effective products are nearly all "mod" e-cigarettes. These days that means a little box with a glass tank. Refillable, easy to maintain, good battery life, ability to vape at low-medium power, easy to charge.

This is what I would recommend.

4. Above that there is an amazing class of superior power e-cigarette. There are lots of advantages, lots of scope for variation in power/vapor/nicotine/enjoyment.

I approve of all the recommendations above, so have nothing to add.
    Good luck finding the right thing. :)

Be careful what you buy and where you get it from; this is the 21st century and the internet is a dangerous place ($$) for new technology if money is important to you.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 22, 2015
    West Virginia, USA

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Welcome @Linda Brown. You're off to a perfect start with ECF and all the fine helpful folks here.

One thing I would add. Once you've done your research here and have at least some idea where you want to start you might want to visit a local vape shop for some hands on, touchy feely kind of research.

One problem with this is finding a vape shop which is just as interested in helping enlighten you as they are in helping lighten your wallet.

If you live in a metropolitan area with a variety of vape shop choices you can check recommendations using the "Yelp" website.

That's what I did and found a very good independently owned shop close to home. The owner was very helpful and patient with me and had me vaping as I walked out his door. Got a decent deal on a good setup and knew I had a friend there to help any time I needed it.

You can find better prices online but for a beginner lucky enough to have a GOOD vape shop to turn to is worth the investment at the beginning.

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2016
    USA
    Welcome to ECF and please know that from reading over our responses that you're not alone in when you've started to quit and that you have lots of support here in ECF. I quit when I was 54 and finally did it by 56.

The Sigelei Mini and an Aspire Mini are simple to use, satisfying, and very affordable. Also they are know across the Industry of producing excellent products.
    Best wishes in your journey and see you around the Forums

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I'm 63, and quit the smokes 2 years ago by vaping instead, after 42 years of smoking. Since you're absolutely new to vaping, in the senior crowd like I am, and also a female...I'd recommend something like an Evod Double Starter Kit. It's not big/bulky/heavier size wise, but not a tiny cigalike either. Kit comes with 2 650mAh batteries, 2 tanks with coils in them, both chargers, and extra coils...all for less than $22 when found on sale. That way you have a spare battery when 1's charging. IF it turns out that you really like vaping and are going to stick with it...then invest more and get something with larger battery capacity, a better tank, etc. Your Evod kit can always be a "spare" in case something goes wrong with your newer, more expensive set-up.

For e-liquids, I'd recommend going to a local vape shop and taste-testing several different ones. Since I smoked Ultra-Lights (1 - 1 1/2 packs a day), I started with a couple sample bottles of flavors with 11mg nicotine, and several with 6mg. I only used the 11mg ones for a short while, and have been using 6mg and even some lower than that since then.

Good luck, and I hope vaping works for you like it has for so many of us on the ECF and millions of others worldwide!

Last edited:
    Reactions: subwayaznm

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 5, 2013
    Hi Linda, I'm 61 and started vaping 3 years ago. I started out with a cheap ecig someone gave me and went through an array of hardware really fast trying to find something better that satisfied me after smoking 2 1/2 packs of Morleys a day. I ended up with mechs and gennies, but I would not recommend that to you. It gets pretty involved and there's a learning curve to it.

People I work with really love those little Kanger box mods with RTA's on them so you might want to look into that. If I were you I'd avoid the cigalikes, they just don't cut it in the end and you don't get a satisfying vape out of them, nor do they last.

Linda Brown

Feb 11, 2016
    Hello and welcome to the forum @Linda Brown. Glad to have you here!:)

I often recommend an iStick 30 watt or Coolfire 4 (both mods) with an Aspire Mini Nautillus or eLeaf GS Air M (both tanks) to someone new to vaping. Videos below.

eLeaf iStick 30 Watt
    Innokin Coolfire 4
    Aspire Nautilus Mini
    eLeaf GS Air M Tank

Picture of the Mini Nautilus on the iStick 30 watt

4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

_________

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.
    Here are a few more links from New Members Information <= Link covers many topics. Here is one of them:
    Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
    12 mg = 20 cigarettes
    18 mg = 30 cigarettes
    24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.
    Thanks for the info such a great help wonder if you could advise me on what to buy to start off

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Thanks for the info such a great help wonder if you could advise me on what to buy to start off

You came back! :)

(You didn't go shopping... phew...)

I think the iStick 30w with the mini Nautilus tank would be as good as anything.

@Susan~S and the others will know the average prices.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread