WISMEC Reuleaux RX200 TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
Nice that the RX is charging accurately.
And good point about the USB port. Definitely a potential point of failure.

I've had it a couple months.
I said it hadn't been "out of use"... as in, plugged in and charging. :D

Biggest complaint with the dna is the 1/2 amp charging, it takes forever. I'm not sure on the RX, but it seems to charge much faster. I keep spare batteries in an external charger for the RX and swap them out when I don't have time to charge internally.

The USB port seems to wear out cords extremely quick and there seems to be a difference in the cords between the RX and DNA 200 version. When new, I can charge both devices with either cord. After a couple weeks the cord stops working on the DNA and after a few more weeks the cord stops working on the RX. New cord fixes the problem for both devices. So I've set up a charging station I use ONLY for the DNA and one I use ONLY for the RX and it seems to be working fine for a month or longer now.

The battery sled is slightly different on the DNA version with tabs to prevent reverse polarity I guess. The problem is to remove the batteries to charge externally tears the battery wrap due to the tabs that stick up. This is the reason for internally charging.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
The battery sled is slightly different on the DNA version with tabs to prevent reverse polarity I guess. The problem is to remove the batteries to charge externally tears the battery wrap due to the tabs that stick up. This is the reason for internally charging.

Yeah, what at first blush appears to be a rather elegant solution for the DNA, in the end has that unintended consequence. My understanding is many complaints focused on a perceived thinner wrap on the 25Rs. Anything less than a careful touch was tearing the top of the wrap.

It's not related to that, but it turns out that all along Wismec has said to not use the Sammies.
Seems they're fractionally shorter and will lose connection if jostled the wrong way.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
It's not related to that, but it turns out that all along Wismec has said to not use the Sammies.
Seems they're fractionally shorter and will lose connection if jostled the wrong way.

Another reason to run the battery analyzer with the DNA is because I think it is calibrated for Sony VCT4's, so if you are using anything other then those you need to calibrate the device to your batteries.

When I ran the analyzer on mine with LGHG2's for example, yes it took 90 minutes at 40 watts but it fired for ATLEAST 30 minutes with a battery reading of 0% because the LG's have a much higher milli amp rating then the Sony's.

I have no idea what batteries the RX are configured to, but probably Sony VCT4's as well would be my guess. So if you are using LG's and your battery gauge is reading 50% for example you likely are at 75% or so. I often see people in the DNA faceook group post that their device is firing even at 0% or people who post saying they are getting low battery warning but when they check them externally they are near fully charged - the reason for both is the individual has not ran the analyzer with their batteries.

Since running the analyzer I get about 8 hours use at 150 watts on the DNA. The RX gives me about 4 to 6 hours use at 150 watts. I believe it is because the DNA is now configured to the battery being used while the RX is not.

Reactions: TheWestPole

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
Marine,

I suggested "Preheat Boost" like the DNA 200. If they add that they will really give Evolv a run for their money. :thumb:

Why settle for a static preheat power and time if you can ask for variable preheat like Yihi does for either Temp or Power mode or a variable curve like they do with SXI-Q curves.

Reactions: GeorgeS

nelsonm64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Kelowna, B.C.
Yeah, what at first blush appears to be a rather elegant solution for the DNA, in the end has that unintended consequence. My understanding is many complaints focused on a perceived thinner wrap on the 25Rs. Anything less than a careful touch was tearing the top of the wrap.

funny, I have used 25R's in my RX since I got it and, they work great. I haven't had one issue (yet)

Reactions: burnie71

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
funny, I have used 25R's in my RX since I got it and, they work great. I haven't had one issue (yet)

Not really... it's a possible issue with the DNA Reuleaux, not the RX. ;)

In case it's not clear... the DNA has "reverse polarity protection" rings at the positive positions of the battery sled. They fit around the pos nipple and prevent an 18650 from making contact if inserted backwards.

They're what is tearing the wraps if one is rough when placing and removing the battery.
They may be what causes the slightly shorter 25Rs (and MXJOs ?) to lose connection when bumped or if the mod is set down too firmly. The mod shuts off. Oops. :p

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
Another reason to run the battery analyzer with the DNA is because I think it is calibrated for Sony VCT4's, so if you are using anything other then those you need to calibrate the device to your batteries.

When I ran the analyzer on mine with LGHG2's for example, yes it took 90 minutes at 40 watts but it fired for ATLEAST 30 minutes with a battery reading of 0% because the LG's have a much higher milli amp rating then the Sony's.

I have no idea what batteries the RX are configured to, but probably Sony VCT4's as well would be my guess. So if you are using LG's and your battery gauge is reading 50% for example you likely are at 75% or so. I often see people in the DNA faceook group post that their device is firing even at 0% or people who post saying they are getting low battery warning but when they check them externally they are near fully charged - the reason for both is the individual has not ran the analyzer with their batteries.

Since running the analyzer I get about 8 hours use at 150 watts on the DNA. The RX gives me about 4 to 6 hours use at 150 watts. I believe it is because the DNA is now configured to the battery being used while the RX is not.

The Escribe Battery Analyzer is mainly for the battery bar capacity indicator and Wh setting. Incorrectly configured Wh or soft cell cut off can cause both situations you stated. However the soft cell cutoff doesn't prevent the cells from becoming imbalanced as it only stops firing when the lowest cell reaches that cutoff. Perhaps the RX200 is doing a better job of keeping all cells in balance and stopping sooner? Or perhaps the soft cell cut off for the RX200 is slightly higher than what you have setup on the DNA200. IDK what the RX200 cut off is but I can say that on my DNA200 device using Evolv's default of 3.09V Lipo soft cell cut off my battery pack becomes imbalanced by about .27V at the end of the discharge. So I chose to lose about 1Wh usage by increasing my soft cell cut off and keeping my cells in balance throughout the discharge cycle.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
The Escribe Battery Analyzer is mainly for the battery bar capacity indicator and Wh setting. Incorrectly configured Wh or soft cell cut off can cause both situations you stated. However the soft cell cutoff doesn't prevent the cells from becoming imbalanced as it only stops firing when the lowest cell reaches that cutoff. Perhaps the RX200 is doing a better job of keeping all cells in balance and stopping sooner? Or perhaps the soft cell cut off for the RX200 is slightly higher than what you have setup on the DNA200. IDK what the RX200 cut off is but I can say that on my DNA200 device using Evolv's default of 3.09V Lipo soft cell cut off my battery pack becomes imbalanced by about .27V at the end of the discharge. So I chose to lose about 1Wh usage by increasing my soft cell cut off and keeping my cells in balance throughout the discharge cycle.

The default cell soft cutoff in escribe for 3 battery is 3.8 volts I think? I don't really remember. After running the analyzer it told me the LG's soft cutoff should be 2.8 volts. I'm guessing the RX is probably set for a soft cut off at 3.8 volts like the DNA default as well. I often see people with the RX say their device stops working and they check the battery voltage and it reads 3.5 - 3.7 volts.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
The default cell soft cutoff in escribe for 3 battery is 3.8 volts I think? I don't really remember. After running the analyzer it told me the LG's soft cutoff should be 2.8 volts. I'm guessing the RX is probably set for a soft cut off at 3.8 volts like the DNA default as well. I often see people with the RX say their device stops working and they check the battery voltage and it reads 3.5 - 3.7 volts.

Guess it's possible they have different defaults for different versions but mine is 3.09V in 1.0.35.2 for Lipo, and no native selection for Lion. But I would consider it an error if an 18650 device's cell cut off was at 3.8V. Would expect it to be 3V or so. But I think you answered why your getting longer run times since you have it set to 2.8V which is probably on the low side for most devices.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
What's with all this DNA200 talk? Heh. It's known that evolv does their battery meter different than every china board out there, not sure why you gents are comparing/contrasting the two.

Not really "comparing/contrasting" them as much as discussing possible reasons why he's seeing a 2-4 hour difference in run times.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
The battery analyzer in my opinion is what sets the DNA version apart from other mods. I wish every mod had just that function.
It's kinda a pain if you use different 18650s. The battery meter should be able to function ok without needing to run the battery analyser. Perhaps an "auto detect" setting so it'll work like other mods if need be. Being required to use escribe in order to access some of the basic functionality of the board stuff that can be found on $35 mods, is a true downside.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
My only concern with either the RX or the DNA 200 version and USB charging in wearing out the USB port to the point it no longer works and not being able to upgrade firmware at a later date.
Indeed. That's the main reason I don't use usb charging.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
What's with all this DNA200 talk? Heh. It's known that evolv does their battery meter different than every china board out there, not sure why you gents are comparing/contrasting the two.

It got brought up because Wismec is asking what features people would like to see in the RX 200. Someone suggested they would not like to see software with an analyzer and I said I would. That is all.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
Not really "comparing/contrasting" them as much as discussing possible reasons why he's seeing a 2-4 hour difference in run times.

Which could be resolved by Wismec adding a way to adjust the cell cut off on the RX, which was the point of the discussion.

I agree that setting the cut off to 2.8v or 2.5v would extend battery life. Like I said, I believe I read somewhere that the DNA factory settings are for VCT4 batteries. So you run the analyzer and set the cut off to that batteries you are using. Likewise I guess the RX200 would be defaulted to the VCT4 batteries as well and that explains why you don't get as long a use time on it.

As another poster suggested an auto detect feature would be just as useful I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread