Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Not the "prettiest" Twisted Coil ever seen or done but quite tasty and well-performing none the less...
Two strands of 28ga Ti hand twisted then 6/5 wrapped on a 2.38mm Bit. Came in right at 0.3 if I remember correctly (at home on the Evic mimi 75 TC I use for outside/yard/farm chores).
First twisted I ever tried and the first rba Build on one of my STM's although owned these for about a year now using OCC pre-builts. VERY surprised and satisfied with the ease of build, wicking, and how she vapes. VERY surprised.
No other Single Wire build to compare it to (on the STM rba Base) and doubt if I ever will as I twisted enough of some old 28ga had laying around unused to make several coils and really like the way this is working for me.
+1 on the Coil placement opinions above; just a tad above centered. Zero Leaking or Seepage unlike the OCC pre-builts in use on the other STM. When the remaining Ni200 OCC's and G-Claptons are used up & gone, other STM will get swapped out to RBA and built the same as this one and that's how they both will stay.

STM 2.jpg
STM 3.jpg
STM 1.jpg

Last edited:

TheoS

Feb 4, 2016
Finally got my hands on some 28g kenthal. My Favourite build so far is with the 28g, single wire, 2mm ID, 7 wraps to get 1.1 ohm. Very nice flavour and decent clouds. Best thing of all is that I only have to run it at 10W, which means that my LG HG2 lasts more than a day.

For a while I thought that the harder I try to inhale, the more juice would flow and I'd get bigger clouds....but discovered that if I take slower drags I dont cool down the coils as much... and as such, bigger clouds

Shmo13

Dec 3, 2014
hanover park il.
How many watts are you firing that at? Does it take a lot to heat up?
b0449683e5e32708520256a61483b5ed.jpg

Ha! Definitely convincing your wife is a good idea before you buy. :D

You're right about it giving you room to grow. The only real cost difference is that you have to buy batteries for the TC version but in my opinion it's worth the cost since you can run it with just one battery (up to 75 watts!) so a pair of batteries is really all you have to get. The battery life with both batteries in it is amazing, though.

Ha! Definitely convincing your wife is a good idea before you buy. :D

You're right about it giving you room to grow. The only real cost difference is that you have to buy batteries for the TC version but in my opinion it's worth the cost since you can run it with just one battery (up to 75 watts!) so a pair of batteries is really all you have to get. The battery life with both batteries in it is amazing, though.

20160210_163115.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Whats up everyone? New here. Been messing with my Subox and I tried a twisted coil. It's 26ga Kanthal, id is about 4mm with 6 turns. It's reading at .4 ohms. I'm just messing with building coils, still don't know anything. Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.
20160210_163115.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

bugs-one

Feb 11, 2016
ECF won't allow you to upload or link Pics until a certain amount of Posts (I think 5). Just letting you know your Pic Links are "X".
Surprised you could get a 4mm ID to fit. Musta been a tight squeeze...
That explains the pics not working. Yeah it was a tight squeeze. I think I'm gonna try something smaller, it feels way to airy with the big air slot and it gets a little too hot. The middle air holes are ok but a little forced. I'm also having a hard time breaking it in. I've been using it for half the day and it's barely starting to pick up some flavor at 17-19W with the middle air holes.

Hitcat44

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
@Hitcat44

Have you compared your loose twists to tight ones? I'm running tripple 30g tightly twisted, 6 wraps, .44 ohms according to my iPV4s wicked with a cotton ball because my cotton came from Cali to within 50 miles of my house and USPS decided to send it back to Cali. :-\

Not yet. One of these days I'm sure but for now the hand-twist is doing the Deal.
Gotta save some stuff for when the Same Ol' Same Ol' gets boring right ;)

Reactions: SLM

Hitcat44

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Cool, see what ya think. It sure does beat the Single-Strand for Flavor and Vapor production. Seems to mellow out the Vape temp-wise as well (warm not Hot/singed). Can ramp up the Wattage to increase Vapor mass without any negative effects on Flavor.
Works really well on my Evic mini 75 TC set at 440* F, 22 W, and Manual TCR of .00370
So well in fact they are pretty much "married" now....

bugs-one

Feb 11, 2016
@bugs-one

What's the build on your twisted?
26ga 6wraps about 2.5ID

Another thing that might factor in- I was using the Naked 100 Lava Flow juice and it has pineapple. Real pineapple always messes up toungue and taste buds. Since its just a juice I didn't think that would happen but I'n feeling my toungue like that and taste of food has toned down.

SLM

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2015
NE Ohio. USA
How many strands twisted? Two, three?

Mine is three strands of 30, tight twisted, 2mm mandrill, 5 wraps. Clocks in at .45 ohms.

I get a huge flavor difference changing from 11.5 watts to 15.5. I have a watermelon juice that has never really been any good until this coil at 15 watts. It's really tasty at 20 watts.

Maybe it is the juice?

bugs-one

Feb 11, 2016
How many strands twisted? Two, three?

Mine is three strands of 30, tight twisted, 2mm mandrill, 5 wraps. Clocks in at .45 ohms.

I get a huge flavor difference changing from 11.5 watts to 15.5. I have a watermelon juice that has never really been any good until this coil at 15 watts. It's really tasty at 20 watts.

Maybe it is the juice?
It was a 2 strand. But like I said it might have been the juice my stongue's still feeling weird.

TheoS

Feb 4, 2016
Question... Assuming equal resistance, what would generally be thought of as a better... A small inner diameter coil or a larger one?

It's all about finding a balance.

In order for the larger inner diameter coil to have the same resistance as a smaller one it would either have to have less wraps, or thicker gauge wire (possibly a combination of the 2). The larger inner diameter coil would likely mean that there is more wire to heat up, meaning that you'd probably have to run it at a higher wattage to get the same kind of temperature as the smaller coil. But, the larger coil would also probably have more surface area, meaning that more juice is available to be heated up. So the trick is to find the sweet spot between fast heat up, heat emitted, and surface area.

Resistance itself is pretty much an irrelevant number on regulated mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread