• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Bleeding Gums

Status
Not open for further replies.

danie1teo

Jan 23, 2016
Hi fellow local vapers

I have started vaping for about 3 weeks now in a bid to curb a 20 years analogs 1 pack a day habit.

I have started having bleeding gums, not only during brushing but during random times in a days (about 3 times per day).

Read online that this is due to the reduced usage of tobacco and intake of nicotine.

Are there any locally available medication to aid in the healing? Currently using a soft toothbrush with a toothpaste parodontax as well as a good rinsing of listerine.

I believe fellow vapers might have encounter this as well?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

alexmot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
Louisiana, USA
How long will it suside? CO asking me to stop vaping cos of this

That likely depends on how badly your gums are damaged from smoking.

Mine was bad for about 6 weeks, but only while brushing / flossing. Pretty much gone in about 6 months, but I still have the other issues from 30 years of smoking (receding gums, etc...)

Drink plenty of water, brush, floss, and use plaque / germ fighting mouthwash. At this point, you're pretty much stuck with it.

plumeofred

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2014
Hey Dan! Congrats on starting your journey to a better you! Haha.

Anyway don't worry too much about your bleeding gums. If you do have insurance or your workplace have like flexi benefits or something and covers your dentist visit I do suggest visiting one. Will give you a piece of mind while ruling out any gum disease such as gingivitis.

Bleeding gums can also be caused by smoking cessation. Smoking clogs up and constricts your blood vessels. When you cut down or quit your blood vessels will close to it's normal state. So if you bleed, it will cause more blood to come out since now your vessels are less constricted.

Don't worry too much as it will get better over time. Avoid flossing if possible. A mouthwash will do. Brush with soft bristles.

Good luck bro!

Reactions: KenshinAdryan

danie1teo

Jan 23, 2016
That likely depends on how badly your gums are damaged from smoking.

Mine was bad for about 6 weeks, but only while brushing / flossing. Pretty much gone in about 6 months, but I still have the other issues from 30 years of smoking (receding gums, etc...)

Drink plenty of water, brush, floss, and use plaque / germ fighting mouthwash. At this point, you're pretty much stuck with it.

Thanks for the advice! I will see when this subsides, its been around 1 week till date

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danie1teo

Jan 23, 2016
Hey Dan! Congrats on starting your journey to a better you! Haha.

Anyway don't worry too much about your bleeding gums. If you do have insurance or your workplace have like flexi benefits or something and covers your dentist visit I do suggest visiting one. Will give you a piece of mind while ruling out any gum disease such as gingivitis.

Bleeding gums can also be caused by smoking cessation. Smoking clogs up and constricts your blood vessels. When you cut down or quit your blood vessels will close to it's normal state. So if you bleed, it will cause more blood to come out since now your vessels are less constricted.

Don't worry too much as it will get better over time. Avoid flossing if possible. A mouthwash will do. Brush with soft bristles.

Good luck bro!

Will visit one soon, new year new dental benefits!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I have started having bleeding gums, not only during brushing but during random times in a days (about 3 times per day).

What did your dentist say?

My only suggestion is to up your water intake. Vaping is very dehydrating and any kind of dry mouth is very bad for your gums.

Other than that, I know that asking for medical advice is just going to get you advice that is anecdotal. If I had bleeding gums i would go to a periodontist or dentist FWIW.

The reason I say this is because I have had quite a lot of gum problems since vaping and it is directly related to dryer mouth, and my periodontist is working on this with me. I didn't have any gum problems prior to this.

My lungs are better but now my gums are suffering. If it doesn't improve i will probably switch off to a different harm reduction method that doesn't give me dry mouth.

We are all different. One size does not fit all. So best to get your individual situation properly assessed by a dental professional.

danie1teo

Jan 23, 2016
actually, you should AVOID alcohol - based mouthwashes, which dry out your mouth more even though they kill bacteria.

Best I've found is Thera Breath Oral Rinse. Very refreshing in a gentle way.

Is the recommended mouth wash readily available? Or is it some prescribed medication?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Is the recommended mouth wash readily available? Or is it some prescribed medication?

readily available. They sell therabreath in walmart etc in USA....but at least 1/2 the mouthwashes nowadays are non alcohol, There is also BIOTENE products, mouthwash and gel .... over the counter........Biotene gel you put a dime sized drop in your mouth before you go to sleep.......voila! Keeps your mouth nice and lubricated while you sleep.
Dry Mouth Products: Oral Rinse, Spray & Gel | Biotène®

* I am a mouth breather so additional problem there too.

danie1teo

Jan 23, 2016
readily available. They sell therabreath in walmart etc in USA....but at least 1/2 the mouthwashes nowadays are non alcohol, There is also BIOTENE products, mouthwash and gel .... over the counter........Biotene gel you put a dime sized drop in your mouth before you go to sleep.......voila! Keeps your mouth nice and lubricated while you sleep.
Dry Mouth Products: Oral Rinse, Spray & Gel | Biotène®

* I am a mouth breather so additional problem there too.
I have gotten myself the following from Amazon

TheraBreath Dentist Recommended PerioTherapy HEALTHY GUMS Oral Rinse

TheraBreath Dentist Recommended PerioTherapy Toothpaste

TheraBreath Dentist Recommended Dry Mouth Lozenges, Sugar Free, Mandarin Mint Flavor

Hopefully this will aid in the healing process

Reactions: Racehorse
Hi Danie1teo,

Just touching base to know if you're doing better...Dehydration can indeed be one of the causes..
Also, which level of nicotine do you use in your juices?
I'm asking because I came across an interesting article..Can't post links I guess but here's the main part below...
I don't want to be alarmist but I guess it's better knowing the effects rather than the opposite..

Nicotine Causes Gum Recession
Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it reduces the amount of blood that can flow through your veins.

Without sufficient blood flow, the gums do not get the oxygen and nutrients they need to stay healthy. Nicotine chokes tissues in the mouth from the blood it needs to survive, causing death of the gum tissues.

Nicotine can hide the symptoms of gum disease from your dentist, making it harder to be diagnosed.

When you have gum disease, it’s the increased blood flow to the gums that tips you off or tips off your dentist to the fact that you have gum disease. The gums are irritated and swell with blood, and when you floss or even brush, they bleed.

This fools everyone — both the dentist and yourself — into thinking that things are going well in your mouth.

If the progression of gum disease can’t be observed or diagnosed, then things go south without treatment.

Even longterm chewing of nicotine gum can cause these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread