DNA 200 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Seems like a nicer looking Hotcig DX200 with rapid charging. Speaking of which, I received my 2 x 18650 battery compartment for yesterday (makes it a tad wider though). It's pretty handy having the 3s Lipo and dual 18650's as options. I got the whole setup for less than $140 shipped. Really a lot less (just under $100 for everything, grand total) since I received an approximately $40 refund because my Lipo was severely discharged when it arrived (first batch way back when). They didn't have any replacement Lipos at the time (they gave me the choice of a partial refund or full refund if I wanted to send it back to China). I was able to recover it with recovery charging in Escribe. I would say I get equal or better run-time than my 900mah Lavabox (I still believe it will die a premature death, but so far so good). Was a win, win in the end!

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Speaking of the Hotcig DX200 and the dual 18650 battery compartment. I haven't had a chance to take pictures yet, but did find a video. I want to talk about the review first. In it Vapn Fagan says to switch between any of the batteries you would need to go into Escribe to change settings. That is only partially true. Switching between the 900mah Lipo and 1300mah Lipo, you really wouldn't. The only thing that would be off is the battery meter. They are both 3 cell Lipos (11.1v) and have the same discharge curve. The only difference is capacity, hence the battery meter wouldn't be accurate. Not a big deal imo.

Now if you're switching between one of the Lipo packs to the dual 18650 compartment you would need to change settings on Escribe. You are going from 3 cells (11.1v) to 2 cells (7.4v). Without changing at least that setting, you would get weak battery immediately. The discharge curves are also different between Lipos and 18650's. I changed from 3 cells to 2 cells. Uploaded a CSV discharge curve for Samsung 25R's (before doing that, I saved the Lipo discharge curve in case I want to switch back), switched soft cell cutoff to 3.3v from 3.09v, and watt hours from 9.99 to 18.5. Took me less than 5 minutes. The more I watch YouTube reviews, the more I realize a lot of the reviewers are technically challenged. Without further adieu, here's the up close of the 3 different batteries available for the DX200.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit I wanted to add a couple of things. The dual 18650 pack is a winner in my book. It does make the mod a tad wider, about the same as my IPV3 Li (dual 18650 mod), it is still shorter though and the depth is basically the same. It really has made me feel like I bought a new mod. It is available from FastTech for $23 and change by using the coupon code MAP. As a matter of fact, all of the battery packs are available there at a considerable discount when using that same coupon code.

Last edited:
Reactions: Landman

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
This reuleaux is working great.

I'm still tweaking with the battery capacity to have the meter to my liking. I don't like to use the battery analyzer because first, I'm too lazy and second I want it the way I like. Meaning I want it to reach a certain voltage before seeing the battery meter empty.

it is a psychological thing, but I want to mention it as a big positive to be able to tweak that number. As long as it doesn't affect the weak battery or safety which it doesn't, why not? Now I know what a half meter means according to my standards and my trial and error.

The other thing I want to mention is that I asked before about supplying very low wattage to a temp coil which causes it to drop from temp mode.

This thing acted better than I expected. Basically I was afraid that if I want to use very low power it would throw it out of temp mode and that's it for you. But yesterday I was draining the battery (my cutoff is 3.2v so don't panic), and it reached a point where it couldn't supply more than 5 watts and stopped displaying temp and ohms flying all over the place.

So i removed the atty and reattached it. To my surprise it still remembers the atty at cold ohms. I thought once you are thrown out of temp mode that's it you have to recalibrate and wait for the atty to cool off but that was not the case. I thought cool! :D

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
It will do temp control at low watts with smaller coils, it just needs to see the temp rise by 150 F in the first second.
That was my point. Even though it didnt achieve that 150F, it didn't forget that the atty when i removed it and re-attached it. When it achieves the 150F there is no debate.

VapingBad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hertfordshire, UK
That was my point. Even though it didnt achieve that 150F, it didn't forget that the atty when i removed it and re-attached it. When it achieves the 150F there is no debate.
I mean it won't drop out of temp mode like your larger coil did when the battery was empty, say you had a 32 or 30 AWG build in a Kayfun or similar it would get up to temp on much less power than say a dual 26 AWG build on a more current topper.

Reactions: Aal_

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
I mean it won't drop out of temp mode like your larger coil did when the battery was empty, say you had a 32 or 30 AWG build in a Kayfun or similar it would get up to temp on much less power than say a dual 26 AWG build on a more current topper.
For sure!

Reactions: VapingBad

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
NEW DNA200 BETA FIRMWARE/ BETA ESCRIBE UPDATE PEOPLE! AVAILABLE NOW!! THERE ARE SOME BUGS SO DOWNLOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK.

edit i'm playing around in escribe, some really nice improvements.

This version features:
(1) a new Materials tab where you can store and transfer material settings onto and from the DNA,
[We've included our Ni200, and Steam Engine's SS316 and Ti1. These will be upgraded in the future, if better data becomes available, and others added if others become common.]
(2) the ability to change a profile's material without EScribe, by holding down all three buttons while locked,
(3) Profile Name and Material Name can be displayed on-screen as custom fields,
(4) profiles now have a "Temperature Dominant" option, making temperature the main adjustment for a profile if you want to do so,
(5) for small batteries, in the Mod tab, you can reduce max continuous and pulse battery input currents,
(6) in Help->Language, you can override the language detection,
(7) Device Monitor has "Simulate Button Presses" for remote testing,
(8) Device Monitor can run Python scripts for scientific study and automation,
(9) the ability to adjust the temperature increment, and
(10) various OS compatibility and miscellaneous improvements.

Last edited:

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
DNA200 FIRMWARE UPDATE PEOPLE! AVAILABLE NOW!!

This version features:
(1) a new Materials tab where you can store and transfer material settings onto and from the DNA,
[We've included our Ni200, and Steam Engine's SS316 and Ti1. These will be upgraded in the future, if better data becomes available, and others added if others become common.]
(2) the ability to change a profile's material without EScribe, by holding down all three buttons while locked,
(4) profiles now have a "Temperature Dominant" option, making temperature the main adjustment for a profile if you want to do so,
(5) for small batteries, in the Mod tab, you can reduce max continuous and pulse battery input currents,

Caveat; This is a real BETA version and not for the faint of heart. The programmer "James" "recommends using the previous version". This is for those that can tolerate strange behavior and can tolerate things not going as planned.

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
Caveat; This is a real BETA version and not for the faint of heart. The programmer "James" "recommends using the previous version". This is for those that can tolerate strange behavior and can tolerate things not going as planned.
I have been using it for a couple of hours now and liking it. Having the option to use the +/- buttons to change temperature is a big plus for me. I also like that I can adjust the temperature in 1 degree settings too. Another nice feature is the ability to change the wire types with the 3 button hold in locking mode.

Landman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2015
Central AR
I have been using it for a couple of hours now and liking it. Having the option to use the +/- buttons to change temperature is a big plus for me. I also like that I can adjust the temperature in 1 degree settings too. Another nice feature is the ability to change the wire types with the 3 button hold in locking mode.
I've loaded it on x2 Rolo's, a Boxer, and an Opus and haven't had any real issues so far. About the only thing it did that was strange was make multiple copies of the same wire type on the materials tab. Just went in and changed all the profiles to Ni, then cleaned them out so there was only one copy of the NiFe 0405 that I'm using and it's been fine since. The features they've added in are really amazing. I'd usually leave two profiles left to Ti/Ni in case I was AFK and needed to swap for some reason, but now that's not needed.

Reactions: JimScotty0

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA

Jim,

Yes I have notice that most everyone on the Early Adopters Forum has finally figured out most of the new stuff and that is great. I just thought posting it hear as "Update Firmware" might get a lot of folks that are not as sophisticated in using the DNA 200 might find them selves in a "World of Lost".

As I said previously even James (the programmer for Evolv) left the recommend statement with the previous version. Just saying !!!

As for myself I downloaded it but will not install it until you Pros work out all the details. It is not like this is heavily document firmware. Also I am not a fan of running via temperature. From the beginning temperature was Temp. Protect or limit if you will. Running at TP just cuts across the grain with me. I leave mine at 450 F and when I have my coil, wick and juice flow right I very seldom hit TP (pwr @ 22 -25 watts single coil) and if I do hit TP it is only on a really long pull with 70VG/30Pg juice.

That is in my opinion how a temperature limited unit should be setup to work. Before you blast me that is just the way I vape a TP unit. It may or may not be the best or right way but for now it is my way.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
beta for sure, a couple very tiny.........i don't know if they're called bugs or if there is another term.......goofs. nothing device damaging tho.

EDIT....i edited my first post just for you holman.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
beta for sure, a couple very tiny.........i don't know if they're called bugs or if there is another term.......goofs. nothing device damaging tho.

EDIT....i edited my first post just for you holman.

Gee AtmizrOpin,

You are going to make me feel important. :D

Actually when I made that post the folks on the Early Adopter Forum were going in circles try to find different features and some that had just apparently disappeared.

It seem like you are correct now that there may be some minor bugs (features) that shouldn't cramp a more novice users experience. Especially if they keep up the the Evolv new firmware thread.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Gee AtmizrOpin,

You are going to make me feel important. :D

Actually when I made that post the folks on the Early Adopter Forum were going in circles try to find different features and some that had just apparently disappeared.

It seem like you are correct now that there may be some minor bugs (features) that shouldn't cramp a more novice users experience. Especially if they keep up the the Evolv new firmware thread.
lol, ya that's me with the disappearing disaster. the new version cut the 'action' tab right off the screen for me. escribe won't let me scroll horizontally. i'm guessing it's not tablet friendly........yet? but ya kind-o-buggy.

Reactions: HolmanGT

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side

Yep..... BETA means just that.....Beta.....and is to test and hopefully find any bugs prior to formal release to the masses. Beta testing can exhibit new/strange behavior and there is a learning curve also when there are new features.

As James posted:

I've put up a new version for yall to try. Let me know if you run into any issues.
Comments and suggestions are welcome. I expect we'll make an follow-on update based on feedback for the Materials tab UI etc.

I am going to post here firmware a few days before they go on EScribe's auto-updater, for those interested in trying things early, and so if yall find a bug we don't release it to the auto-updater. We appreciate your help testing these. :)

Reactions: dwcraig1

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
NEW DNA200 BETA FIRMWARE/ BETA ESCRIBE UPDATE PEOPLE! AVAILABLE NOW!! THERE ARE SOME BUGS SO DOWNLOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK.

This version features:
Just installed it. Love that I now can have temperature instead of watts as the main thing to adjust. Being able to switch between materials directly on the device without needing to go into escribe is great as well. Any idea what "0.001 K" is?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: JimScotty0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread