Status
Not open for further replies.

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY
Hey guys.

I'm new to the whole TC thing and looking for something relatively "set and forget."

I have:
-VTC mini
-Cubis
-Ego one Mega (that came with the VTC mini)

coils:
-1.0 Stainless Cubis coils
-CLR for the Mega one

In VW mode, I'm a 1.0 ohm type of guy favoring MTL. My previous setups were generally Istick 30s with a Cerotank Mega (pretty good MTL tank). I got sick of those Aspire BVC coils as they just didn't last that long and I started thinking it might be time to move up the tech level a bit. I generally ran at about 15-19 watts adjusting to the low of that range when the burnt hits would appear.

So I'd like some guidance on wire. I see that the Cubis SS 1.0 coils don't really work unless you adjust the VTC Mini to 430 SS but that they are marketed as 314 ss. Is that true and if so, could I get some guidance on how to set up the VTC Mini to use those Cubis 1.0 ohm SS coils?

I'm also looking at building coils in the CLR heads and wondered what type of wire I should consider. I'd like the Cubis and the Mega One to be interchangeable without having to adjust settings so should I be looking at 430 wire (which the cubis SS coils are said to be despite their markings) or 314 (which the Cubis SS coils SAY they are).

Thanks so much guys.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
So I'd like some guidance on wire. I see that the Cubis SS 1.0 coils don't really work unless you adjust the VTC Mini to 430 SS but that they are marketed as 314 ss. Is that true and if so, could I get some guidance on how to set up the VTC Mini to use those Cubis 1.0 ohm SS coils?

Find the "TCR" mode on your VTC Mini and set one of the profiles to "0138."

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    These days there is a number of decent choices - Ti, NiFe and SS with the later two having a few different types.

Many go straight for some type of SS as it is safe to use in Wattage mode as well as TC mode. I only have experience with SS430 from Ukamen and can easily recommend it good for spaced and contact coils. Contact coils need to be pulsed and tweeked until a oxide layer forms and the coil heats evenly from the inside out.

NiFe from Germany (30&48) would be my 2nd choice. (I actually have more NiFe builds in service at this time) Ditto with the oxide layer.

While some have had some success with prebuilt factory SS coils, IMHO I'd rather wind my own. The CLR atomizers don't offer much room or any screws to secure the coil legs but can work surprisingly well with a good build. Two of mine have NiFe48 contact coils wrapped on 2.5mm which barely fit inside without shorting.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I'm also looking at building coils in the CLR heads and wondered what type of wire I should consider. I'd like the Cubis and the Mega One to be interchangeable without having to adjust settings so should I be looking at 430 wire (which the cubis SS coils are said to be despite their markings) or 314 (which the Cubis SS coils SAY they are).

Go with the 430 SS and whatever TCR you need in both devices.
    I've been on Ni (too hard to work with), Ti (nice but can't pulse coils), factory SS coils (always a mystery), and finally RBA with 430 SS. No problems and a nice vape.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    +1 to @BigEgo . Get into TCR (temperature coefficient of resistance) mode and set the right value for your wire. Searching the forum for "TCR codes" will bring up several posts where these are listed. If you want the technicals, all metals change their resistance to current with temperature to some degree. Some do so more than others, and some do so very evenly across the temperature scale (a "flat TCR curve.") It is these last that make good TC vape wire. When you set the TCR code for your wire, you are telling the mod the shape of the TCR curve for the particular wire you are using, and it can do TC more accurately.

FWIW, I hated Ni wire so bad I gave up on TC and never even tried Ti wire. But now I have SS316, I have changed my mind and use it a lot.

redddog

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 5, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks so much, guys!

Really helps. Coupla follow-ons....

So can you NOT use TI in Wattage mode? If not, I think that's a pretty strong argument for SS as I'm still a VW guy and would like the ability to go back if I get overwhelmed.

So, is SS wire hitting the B&Ms yet or is it still only available online?

BigEgo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2013
    Alabama
    Thanks so much, guys!

Really helps. Coupla follow-ons....

So can you NOT use TI in Wattage mode? If not, I think that's a pretty strong argument for SS as I'm still a VW guy and would like the ability to go back if I get overwhelmed.

You can as long as you are careful not to vape it dry. Titanium dioxide really only becomes a problem at much elevated temperatures (paging druckle -- he is an old titanium engineer who knows this stuff).

So, is SS wire hitting the B&Ms yet or is it still only available online?

Go to unkamensupplies.com if you need SS wire (if you're in the USA). They carry 304, 317L and 430. Also, I assume you have experience wrapping your own coils.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread