Not open for further replies.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
@choochoogranny This is good news but keep vigilant. Things can be added back
in along with other stuff faster than taken out in the shuffling back and forth
that's known as committee meetings and hearings. Then there's the floor.
Hopefully your state is more straightforward in doing such things.
good luck,
Mike

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Congrats Georgia!
From what I heard from others behind the scenes, you did not have a lobbying effort behind the bill so the lobbying by GSFA, and AVA had a HUGE impact!

Stay alert. Some dirtbsg with $ & connections could swoop in and change things.

Fantastic response by the Georgia advocacy!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Kudos to the groups that are fighting for vaping and actually sitting down in public hearings and airing the truth about vaping! :thumbs:

Most of the public aren't aware that these bills aren't about vaping as an alternative to tobacco. They are about the loss of settlement payments from BT going away as more people switch to vaping.

I hate that people who don't smoke or vape are somehow viewing vaping as an unhealthy act that needs to be banned as a result of the twisted views presented by these bills. It's actually an excellent and relatively safe way to get off the cigarettes.

As we get more and more press that reveals the actual truth about how vaping is 95% safer than smoking and actually lets people STOP smoking through vaping, our cause will be vindicated. IMO, the reason that truthful testing hasn't reached the public is as stated above. The truth will set you free from tobacco smoke!

All we hear about is the last ecig that blew up due to new vaper misunderstanding of the hardware. Maybe the news needs to publish the instructions on how to vape safely. A car can be very dangerous if you don't read the owners manual and follow standard safety rules. High amp vaping with low amp batteries is a recipe for disaster.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
At the risk of being slightly off topic I'll post this link to a recent Wired magazine article (2-10-2016) while we have forum readers present who want to know about detrimental press concerning ecigs. This article published this week by Wired Magazine talks about exploding batteries and how to prevent them by using them safely and educating yourself about how lithium ion batteries should be cared for to prevent mishaps. All in all, it's comprehensive in that it offers a surface explanation of how things work and what can be done to prevent issues. It urges users to educate themselves on the use and care of L-ion batteries and the vaping devices that use them.

Vape Pens and E-Cigs Are Blowing Up. Like, Literally

Last edited:

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
Congrats Georgia!
From what I heard from others behind the scenes, you did not have a lobbying effort behind the bill so the lobbying by GSFA, and AVA had a HUGE impact!

Stay alert. Some dirtbsg with $ & connections could swoop in and change things.

Fantastic response by the Georgia advocacy!
that darn Paulette Rakestraw of the (R) will find a way (cannot stand this woman who supported a bounty on raccoons in my county)
Rep. Paulette Rakestraw | Georgia 2015-2016 | TrackBill

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
The new revised bill wound up being 3 pages, not 2. It mostly covered underage vaping which another law passed in2014 already covers. The rest is definitions of vape pens and equipment. Another committee meeting is set up for next Thurs. (Feb. 18th). No time set yet. Committee members were surprised and impressed with turn-out and the many, many calls and emails. The sponsor of the bill did not show up. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The new revised bill wound up being 3 pages, not 2. It mostly covered underage vaping which another law passed in2014 already covers. The rest is definitions of vape pens and equipment. Another committee meeting is set up for next Thurs. (Feb. 18th). No time set yet. Committee members were surprised and impressed with turn-out and the many, many calls and emails. The sponsor of the bill did not show up. :)

CC, g'mornin. Is there an access link to the committee's submissions including the current markup? Love to take a peek. If it's here guess I missed it. FL has a good portal. That's what I'm lookin' for. If you're online hope, I'll stick around a bit and look for it. Thanks!

G'luck. :)

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Oh my gosh, MacTechVpr, am afraid all my info is coming second hand from ScenicCityVapers on Facebook. Bill Funderburk, Pres. of Georgia Smoke Free Assn. reported in on the meeting. He and Gregory Conley, Atty. (Am. Vapers Assn.), Dimi Agrafiotis, and all? participants got the markup at the meeting yesterday. I haven't a clue (usual) where to find what you want. :(

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Thx CC, I also wanted to confirm data I obtained from two summaries discussing FL, GA and VI. They all share the same issue I believe in imposing public space bans. And how they do this would seem similar...by equating "combustion" to vaping. Apparently y'all have the minor smoking provisions in your Title 26 - FOOD, DRUGS, AND COSMETICS. So what the heck does that have to do with tobacco (Georgia Smokefree Air Act of 2005) from which the state draws its authority to restrict smoking? Can you (or anyone) provide the correlation if any?

Good luck

:)

p.s. Thx above ref for Bill.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thx CC, I also wanted to confirm data I obtained from two summaries discussing FL, GA and VI. They all share the same issue I believe in imposing public space bans. And how they do this would seem similar...by equating "combustion" to vaping. Apparently y'all have the minor smoking provisions in your Title 26 - FOOD, DRUGS, AND COSMETICS. So what the heck does that have to do with tobacco (Georgia Smokefree Air Act of 2005) from which the state draws its authority to restrict smoking? Can you (or anyone) provide the correlation if any?

Good luck

p.s. Thx above ref for Bill.

If vapor isn't allowed in public, then I want overuse of colognes and perfumes to be outlawed. Ever sat in a restaurant trying to eat in a profuse cloud of overused Chanel #5 at the next table?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I just sent an email to my Ga House rep, Allan Peake and covered all the things I wanted removed or changed, including the provision that prevented out of state ordering of vaping supplies. I also urged him to let the FDA be the governing agency and relieve the State of Ga from bearing the cost of inspection and regulation. If the FDA is the governing agency all states will be equal in regulation and we will have only one agency to deal with nationwide to retain our right to vape.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
If vapor isn't allowed in public, then I want overuse of colognes and perfumes to be outlawed. Ever sat in a restaurant trying to eat in a profuse cloud of overused Chanel #5 at the next table?

Everybody "vapors"…and not in a nice way always. That's how they conned us out of our rights (and our $) in the first place, intolerance. And by playing on the guilt of those who were conscientious. Then what happens to a consolidated protected (or oppressed) product...black markets ensue and/or rising prices (so do tax or fines go up). There are always those willing to submit themselves to being tools or collaborators. Never occurs to them in their zeal to impose on others that the social cost eventually hits them too (hopefully the ballot box will soon). That's what ultimately had to be acknowledged with Prohibition.

My leading argument too btw the few times I've been challenged aggressively. The smug repugnant profile of conceited prejudice is all too familiar. But when such feigned sentiments resolve to unavoidable simplicity, two words for 'em — Yippie Kay.

Good luck all.

There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist. —Ayn Rand

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Just for edification:

The Indiana law was pushed, behind the scenes, by Monument Vapor/ Indiana Vapor Co for the purpose of creating a monopoly.

The Georgia bill was based on the first draft of the Indiana law, with some other borrowed stuff, and was an attempt to "do something" about vaping.

Ours had a well established lobbying firm pushing it through and the Hoosier Vapers are now known as "pains in the ..." to the main sponsors. Since Georgia's bill didn't have a big lobbying effort behind it, vaping advocacy groups were seen as helpful to the process.

Be wary of those who seek to regulate what they do not understand for the sole sake of regulation... Be more wary of those that seek to regulate what they do not understand for the sake if their own pocketbook.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Everybody "vapors"…and not in a nice way always. That's how they conned us out of our rights (and our $) in the first place, intolerance. And by playing on the guilt of those who were conscientious. Then what happens to a consolidated protected (or oppressed) product...black markets ensue and/or rising prices (so do tax or fines go up). There are always those willing to submit themselves to being tools or collaborators. Never occurs to them in their zeal to impose on others that the social cost eventually hits them too (hopefully the ballot box will soon). That's what ultimately had to be acknowledged with Prohibition.

My leading argument too btw the few times I've been challenged aggressively. The smug repugnant profile of conceited prejudice is all too familiar. But when such feigned sentiments resolve to unavoidable simplicity, two words for 'em.
d

My first thought was that they were locking out suppliers from other states in an effort to allow only what they have jurisdiction over. Then, it dawned on me that banning out of state orders was a control tactic to use while they made vaping prohibitively expensive in an attempt to eradicate it.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Congressman Duncan Hunter vapes in congress. I'm not sure he won points by advocating inhaling medications in the future. Maybe he should have stopped by saying it was a safer alternative to smoking tobacco. At least he did get across the point that people who vape are finally able to quit smoking cigarettes.

It's good to see vaping talked about in Congress in a positive way.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Plans within plans Dave, plans within plans.

Think Hoosier makes the important point that these efforts yield an advantage for someone. Yes there's certainly an agenda, a politic, an idea or philosophy often touted, like for the children. But at the end of the day gov (force) must take from one to give to another, pick who wins and who loses. The nature of gov action is to encourage consolidation, concentration, monopoly. Legislation has sponsorship and motives aren't always what they appear to be.

The fatal flaws of politics of compromise are laid bare when the individual right is crassly challenged. We can see it clearly in our circumstances. It takes perverting the process and principle to achieve it. Why? Because the lawful right is expressly on our side and someone must step all over it to get their way. If the preferred beneficiaries of legislation can be discovered then a powerful rational and legal defense can be effectively mounted. It takes involvement both on the consumer and business side of the vaping community, in numbers. Someone must be watching and engaging.

Not against voluntary collaboration. Not the same thing. We're a communal species and do work together to accomplish the big things when arbitrary preference and privilege doesn't get in our way to build pyramids to the gods. The latter should be a warning that it can happen to us.

G'luck. :)

p.s. Noted that on meds from Duncan. Does hint perhaps at the potentials for alternative agendas to guide the discussion. Consider the de facto regulation of an organic, nicotine, and what this implies for nutrition, food and other organics.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
p.s. Noted that on meds from Duncan. Does hint perhaps at the potentials for alternative agendas to guide the discussion. Consider the de facto regulation of an organic, nicotine, and what this implies for nutrition, food and other organics.

Well, it's good that a representative from California actually vapes. Maybe he can persuade the local politicians to accept the fact that Vaping is Good, not Evil.

OTOH, the drug delivery device plug that he made might make some want to regulate it as a drug delivery device and work to change its tobacco product status with the FDA. Then, we'd have to go to our doctor to get a prescription renewal for nicotine juice from a pharma source. Bummer ...

Best to leave it in tobacco product status, IMO. Big Pharma would love to sell us a plastic nicotine delivery device for $400 under a doctor's prescription, and a 30 day supply of wild cherry flavored juice in sealed cartridges for $50. If you vaped more than they prescribed, you'd have to wait until the prescription was eligible for refill. Wait! Nicorette is already legal to buy OTC.

Yes, I'm joking around. :) But, who knows what politicians will do next if we don't get a handle on this sort of legislation?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread