Not open for further replies.

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Ugh, my emphasis in bold

will discuss his early research identifying potentially harmful effects of e-cigarettes
1. This sounds like it's a preliminary study. What review has been done of his methodology?

Conklin and his team exposed one set of mice to varying levels of e-cigarette aerosol, tobacco smoke, smokeless tobacco or to an aldehyde produced by tobacco, acrolein, which is thought to pose 80-85 percent of the non-cancer health risk of tobacco smoke.
2. Small sample size - one set of mice? As we know, the dose makes the poison. At what level(s) did he get the results? Curious, because I haven't seen the research - where is the support for the claim that acrolein posing non-cancer health risk?

Currently, we do not know whether e-cigarettes are harmful," Conklin said. "They do not generate smoke as do conventional cigarettes but they do generate an aerosol - the vapor - that alters indoor air quality and contains toxic aldehydes.
3. Here's the bias - What is this scary sounding altering of indoor air quality he speaks of? and I believe what was found in vapor was well below toxic levels. :facepalm:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
From the article.
"Conklin will share new data showing that e-cigarettes have been shown to speed up atherosclerosis - the plaque-causing disease that leads to heart attack, stroke and peripheral arterial disease. When atherosclerosis affects the arteries of the heart, it is known as coronary artery disease, a condition that affects more than 15 million Americans and causes 500,000 deaths annually."
the leading cause of atherosclerosis.
"According to experts, atherosclerosis begins with damage to the endothelium caused by high blood pressure, smoking, or high cholesterol. That damage leads to the formation of plaque. When bad cholesterol, or LDL, crosses the damaged endothelium, the cholesterol enters the wall of the artery."
What Is Atherosclerosis?
It seems smoking is not all that bad when compared to atherosclerosis.
Smoking only accounts for 450,000 deaths a year total for all related
illness.
Time to reign in the other folks. They must be doing unhealthy thing's. Right?
Regards
Mike

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I can't.

I just can't.

house-facepalm.jpg

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Expect to see a lot of "studies" like this one coming out as the FDA/NHI, working in conjunction with one another, are throwing hundreds of millions at this type of "research" and publishing it, in many instances, themselves in their own journal to get the info out there asap.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The 800 pound gorilla that's not in the room for the ecig debate are reports of doctors treating illnesses caused by using ecigs. There aren't any yet 10's of millions of people are vaping around the world. If the CDC could find a negative health trend in people related to ecigs they would talk of nothing else. Baring that they torture mice and brag about it.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
I'm just waiting for the correlation studies suggesting a link between vaping and lung cancer, which will of course bury the fact that all vapers studied were previously smokers...

And of course those studies will only be coming out of the US.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I thought this might be interesting, wonder how it will pan out?

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-02-evidence-potential-effects-e-cigarettes.html

I never pay attention to somebody who says they are going to say something.

If you are going to say something just say it.
It's like an advertising trick to generate interest

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I'm just waiting for the correlation studies suggesting a link between vaping and lung cancer, which will of course bury the fact that all vapers studied were previously smokers...

Exactly. How they got us in the first place.

Good luck all.

:)

Yiana

Ultra Member
Nov 20, 2015
Planet Earth
From the article.
"Conklin will share new data showing that e-cigarettes have been shown to speed up atherosclerosis - the plaque-causing disease that leads to heart attack, stroke and peripheral arterial disease. When atherosclerosis affects the arteries of the heart, it is known as coronary artery disease, a condition that affects more than 15 million Americans and causes 500,000 deaths annually."
the leading cause of atherosclerosis.
"According to experts, atherosclerosis begins with damage to the endothelium caused by high blood pressure, smoking, or high cholesterol. That damage leads to the formation of plaque. When bad cholesterol, or LDL, crosses the damaged endothelium, the cholesterol enters the wall of the artery."
What Is Atherosclerosis?
It seems smoking is not all that bad when compared to atherosclerosis.
Smoking only accounts for 450,000 deaths a year total for all related
illness.
Time to reign in the other folks. They must be doing unhealthy thing's. Right?
Regards
Mike

Funny how my mil had high blood pressure and now she doesn't since she started vaping a few years ago. Nothing changed with her activities except for quitting smoking and switched to vaping. Next please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread