Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
First, I'm not really calling any of you out specifically, but you all touched on things that I wanted to comment on, so there it is.
Smoking generally has become socially unacceptable, enter vaping, and the most visible of vapers are the public cloud chasing crowd that blow out a heck of a lot more vaper than smokers ever did smoke... drawing negative attention to what a lot perceive as something undesirable.

I don't hate cloud chasers, I don't really understand it and it seems rather silly to me but I don't hate them. I think some of the backlash has come from taking something that was just a way for smokers to quit smoking, that actually works, and mutating it into a competition sport or a trendy thing to do, instead of vaping just continuing on the low key path to becoming more mainstream, also, those blow big clouds anywhere vapers who kicked off a lot of local indoor bans...of course that ball just kept rolling.
Remember, the crackdown started when the kr808s were the "in" thing. The indoor bans aren't due to cloud chasers, they're due to some people not liking the idea of seeing something that resembles smoke indoors.

I just have a problem with the way cloud chasers push the envelope on safety. It will be the extreme people, safety wise and with obnoxious clouds, that cause a crackdown against all vapers.
Some of these guys and gals vape 0% juice or were never addicted to nicotine. It has stopped being about getting off cigs and become a sport type thing.
People pushing the envelope is why vaping has made the advancements that it has over the past 7 years or so technologically. Also, god forbid someone sees another person enjoying something, and want to also enjoy it. Would you feel better if the never smokers were using nicotine? Would you feel better if they picked up smoking first?

Well, if we are going to be honest, vaping started off as a sort of help to help smokers quit smoking. That is the fact and undeniable truth. To quit smoking using a vape a person really doesn't need anything more than a basic clearomizer and a solid battery. Most of us have turned it out to a hobby and a passion. Looking at someone from above is wrong, but unfortunately there is always people who don't deserve anything else due to the way they are behaving. As i've said, we are a minority, all of us, and it is our responsibility to represent our selves in best possible manner. Blowing clouds in places where you may run into disagreement is wrong and it's creating a wrong picture about us in the eyes of public. That's why i don't think cloud chasing is a way to go. Couple days ago i was in one shop here in Edmonton, and the shop was crowded. Everyone was blowing clouds. I came in to check some juices noone else carries. And so, i'm testing those juices, and the fog in the shop is so thick that you can't see the entrance doors 20 feet ahead. At one point doors are opening and in comes a mid aged guy. First thing he did, he stood for couple seconds at the doors, and then he said "omg, this place looks like an Vietnam opium shack", turned back and left. That's the problem, and that's the image we are creating....
SOME people don't need more than a stick battery and a clearo to quit smoking. SOME people didn't stop dual using until they found high power vaping.

I've never seen an "obnoxious cloud chaser" outside of a vape shop. I've never seen a vaper blow a cloud at anyone else, outside of a vape shop. I'm sure there are some out there, but how many people have actually encountered it, and how many just jump on the bandwagon of hating on the idea of people doing it?

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
It sounds like the younger generations need to sit down and read the classics and get grounded

1980_img-3181.jpg

melodiousThunk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2009
san francisco
Chucking clouds in public forces other people to inhale vapor. It's a question of consent.

Drawing 84 amps on your Noisy Cricket & ending up on the news as a nose transplant statistic is personal choice. But it also affects the perception of the vape community.

Chucking clouds in a private space is all good. Do what you feel. Sometimes blowing thick, serious clouds is the most satisfying vape for me, and sometimes I want something different. Maybe I don't want to try to read a book in a fog bank that night.

I don't care about how other people vape, even if their vaping inconveniences or irritates me for a short period of time. I choose to live in society. Society consists of people. People can be irritating. There are many, many things people do that irritate me. There it is.

Aside from personal preferences though, there is the question of image and how the vaping community is being perceived. Our right to vape the way we want, or even to vape at all, is currently being decided by politicians whose decisions are affected by moneyed interests, consumer groups and voter input. Unfortunately, we can't maintain total control over public perception, but right now it would benefit the vape community to be aware of what we're doing and how we're being perceived.

Not all vapers are going to care about the perception of their behavior and that's their choice. But I think that's what motivates some of the anger at the current cloud chasing community. (Four c's in a row. Dang. Dat alliteration doe!)

Reactions: scylla

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
First, I'm not really calling any of you out specifically, but you all touched on things that I wanted to comment on, so there it is.

Remember, the crackdown started when the kr808s were the "in" thing. The indoor bans aren't due to cloud chasers, they're due to some people not liking the idea of seeing something that resembles smoke indoors.

People pushing the envelope is why vaping has made the advancements that it has over the past 7 years or so technologically. Also, god forbid someone sees another person enjoying something, and want to also enjoy it. Would you feel better if the never smokers were using nicotine? Would you feel better if they picked up smoking first?

SOME people don't need more than a stick battery and a clearo to quit smoking. SOME people didn't stop dual using until they found high power vaping.

I've never seen an "obnoxious cloud chaser" outside of a vape shop. I've never seen a vaper blow a cloud at anyone else, outside of a vape shop. I'm sure there are some out there, but how many people have actually encountered it, and how many just jump on the bandwagon of hating on the idea of people doing it?
Don't get me wrong, i like clouds sometimes too. I have seen them vaping AND blowing clouds in all kinds of places. I've seen them arguing with security in the Bank because security guy told them they are going to activate the fire alarm and asked them nicely to stop or to go outside etc etc. Trust me, people are weird, and because of those weird ones we all suffer....

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
If you rub it to my face, I hate it (and the person doing the thingy).
Doesn't really matter wether it's politics, religion or clouds.
Respect my personal space and I don't care what you be goofing around.
Must be this internet, in good old days you had to really stand behind your words and actions, usually within a punching distance.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
True enough melodiousThunk. Consider how fast the hammer would fall on us all if some Senator's kid lost half of his face hanging with his friends cloud chasing.
We will be lucky to get vape materials with a prescription from our doctors.
Or if some Senator's kid lost the ability to procreate because he had his ego battery in his lap while charging it in the car and it caught fire.

People need an enemy I guess, so now it's the cloud chasers, or the scene kids, or the hipsters, or the mech users, or custard vapers, or 0 nic users, or...

For the record, I'm not a cloud chaser, or a high power vaper, or a scene kid, or a hipster(well, I guess that one is debatable, but I don't have a beard).

Reactions: LMS62

scylla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Illinois
Or if some Senator's kid lost the ability to procreate because he had his ego battery in his lap while charging it in the car and it caught fire.

People need an enemy I guess, so now it's the cloud chasers, or the scene kids, or the hipsters, or the mech users, or custard vapers, or 0 nic users, or...

For the record, I'm not a cloud chaser, or a high power vaper, or a scene kid, or a hipster(well, I guess that one is debatable, but I don't have a beard).

One day a guy went to a psychologist for the first time. After telling him his troubles, the man says, "So doc, what's wrong with me?"
The doctor replies, "Well, you're crazy."
Indignant, the man replies, "I am not, I want another opinion."
To which the doctor replies, "OK... You're also ugly."

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Well, if we are going to be honest, vaping started off as a sort of help to help smokers quit smoking. That is the fact and undeniable truth. To quit smoking using a vape a person really doesn't need anything more than a basic clearomizer and a solid battery. Most of us have turned it out to a hobby and a passion. Looking at someone from above is wrong, but unfortunately there is always people who don't deserve anything else due to the way they are behaving. As i've said, we are a minority, all of us, and it is our responsibility to represent our selves in best possible manner. Blowing clouds in places where you may run into disagreement is wrong and it's creating a wrong picture about us in the eyes of public. That's why i don't think cloud chasing is a way to go. Couple days ago i was in one shop here in Edmonton, and the shop was crowded. Everyone was blowing clouds. I came in to check some juices noone else carries. And so, i'm testing those juices, and the fog in the shop is so thick that you can't see the entrance doors 20 feet ahead. At one point doors are opening and in comes a mid aged guy. First thing he did, he stood for couple seconds at the doors, and then he said "omg, this place looks like an Vietnam opium shack", turned back and left. That's the problem, and that's the image we are creating....
That underlined part is true for some people but I can tell you personally that a clearomizer would not have been enough for me to quit, I tried that route for three months and it wasn't until my first RDA and lower ohm build that I got the true satisfaction I needed to stave off the cigarettes for good. Yes, vaping was designed to help people quit smoking and that is a fact.

However If were going to go the route of undeniable truths/facts then lets look at cars, the car was coming in to use in the 1890's as transportation and transportation alone, there were no creature comforts other than a seat which wasn't even comfortable in most cases, roads didn't exist and anyone who had a car used it for one thing, transportation. Now today look at cars, they have dozens upon dozens of creature comforts, millions of dollars are spent every year to modify cars to look differently or perform better and faster or appeal to our personal taste. We have vehicles used strictly for pleasure which serve no purpose in transportation at all, millions of dollars every year are spent on recreational vehicles.

Looking at personal preferences I again use a car based comparison, so when I own a Corvette I would put heads/cam/long tube headers and exhaust on it but my neighbor may be satisfied with his entirely bone stock Corvette. Does that mean I'm wrong for wanting to modify mine? Does it give me the right to look down upon the person with a bone stock Corvette? Nope, we're all people and people have different preferences.

This is just like vaping to me, it has evolved over time and will continue to evolve to meet the demands of the market which obviously wants creature comforts and in many cases "more power" than the last model. Pretty soon the cartomizer will be akin to a hand-crank car from the pre-speedometer era and you will only find them in rare cases when saved by others.

Annie56

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2013
I love cloudchasers, even tho i myself am prolly a tootie puffer. As long as the person doing it operates within the confines of battery safety and the batteries limits. Cloudchasing leads to vaping innovation and advancement, imho.

Dripper coils have turned into works of art. Myself, i still love posting pictures of my kanthal-on-mesh builds, when they come out pretty. If it hadn't been for alot of experimentation by Raidy and others-- my beloved mesh gennys wouldn't even have been a thing?

When i used to smoke, i stayed away from people--as i was turning into a minority, smoking analogs. I would never blow smoke on someone, so why would i exhale vape on them? If i'm eating a messy gyro, i don't toss greasy onions and peppers at people, do i? After all--grownups don't do that.

Where i live, i have only seen one!!! vaper-in-the-wild. In three years. And he wasn't blowing clouds on people, or throwing sandwich stuffs at people. Why? He was a grownup

Allison Cloud

Feb 8, 2016
I can't speak for anyone else but I don't like cloud chasers because of the way they treat the rest of us. when you treat people like they are second class citizens and in every way inferior to you then you can't expect them to like you.im too old to worry about whats cool.
I have never seen this though. I have seen people talk about it, but never seen happen. I am a cloud Chaser and I have never treated anyone in any bad way that I know of. It seems the other way around to me. It seems like the cloud chasers are the ones that are treated poorly by others.

Reactions: David Wolf

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
I just never saw the point of chasing clouds , it seems ridiculous to me , even if you were able to get that high up how would you capture one ?

How can you contain it , even if you got close to one they are always moving , what are you going to do jump on top of it and try to hold it in place , good luck with that .

I would prefer to chase something that i can catch but thats just me.

Allison Cloud

Feb 8, 2016
Unabashed hatred for cloud chasing tools trying to look cool by blowing huge clouds and consequently our chances of having the right to vape, in public.

By all means, be a ruler boy in your own home.
So cloud chasers are 'tools" good to know. Also what is a "ruler boy?" never heard that before... like ever. So yeah...

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The boss lets us vape on the shop floor, a large space with a 30' ceiling. For me that's huge, work along, no jonsing for a smoke, puffing away, cracking jokes, binging on Mozart. Life is good. I'm the self appointed vape enforcer. If a vaper is getting too obnoxious I intervene. Other employees don't care but we make very expensive stuff so big shots show up to see how their millions are being spent and if we annoy them we won't be vaping on the shop floor any more. I DIY and I've discovered I can make liquid for my SV rda that tastes good but has no odor from the flavoring. This makes a difference to people around me. The fewer annoyances the better. Live and let live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread