Presidential Candidates that are pro vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
I think honestly that non-smoking non vapers don't care either way about vaping. I think they are made to care when something comes up in media. If they are against it, I think we all know why that would be, and it wouldn't be because of something they just came up with on their own.

Really, the presidential issue is microcosm of what we are up against. If not even going to register on the national political radar, then what's the point of any CTA? Perhaps good for some local fights, I'd grant that, but why even contest FDA deeming if not something that is on national radar and/or considered a 'pet issue' by vapers?

IMO, it truly is a bigger deal than other issues, and for sure has something that can be done about it in a viable way. Education or say global warming, not so much. Though I recognize all non-vapers will treat those like a huge deal, but won't see ANY viable changes on that front in the next 8 (or 80) years.

This thread wasn't meant for this type of discussion, and yet, as long as there isn't any mention of the issue from national candidates, it seems like this type of discussion is all that can be had for now.
Well that's kind of the point. It's such a minor issue that it really doesn't warrant mention from the candidates.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LaraC

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
It SHOULD be more than a insignificant issue. Since many people can STOP smoking by vaping it should be a very real discussion. I wish there was more testing being done by highly qualified scientists to put this issue to rest once and for all. We all know vaping works, probably 75%+ of the politicians don't have a clue.

I would think if any of the candidates remaining, who would say something about vaping, it would be Trump. He doesn't seem to care what he says. The only problem there is how many people actually take him seriously. If any candidate knew there are now millions of vapers who have stopped smoking, I would think they would like to grab those potential votes.

But, I don't see billery or bernie being candidates saying anything at all. Clinton is probably taking bribes (i mean donations) from BT, and bernie from BP.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
My feeling is that a candidate that would support taking vaping away (the FDA plan) would not stop there. Once given an inch the sky is the limit. They've already placed Tobacco on the list, vaping is next, Political Correct speak, sugar, trans fat, and what after that. The farther it goes, the farther it goes.
Just sayin'

ETA Excuse me but the MSA and Tobacco Taxes are NOT a big deal??????

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Except it it tell you a lot about someone's mindset. Kinda like the former mayor of NYC who wanted to ban soft drinks above a certain size. That's just a small thing, but it tells you a lot about he views things. FWIW, he's now considering a run as an independent. o_O

Right. It gives me some insight into who wants to heavily regulate my freedom and pursuit of happiness. And it let's me know who is willing to engage in deceit and propaganda. Vaping may only be a big issue to vapers, but what comes next? That ol' slippery slope. Give 'em an inch, and they may help themselves to a mile.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Kasich raised cigarettes 40 cents per pack and wanted (IIRC) a 40 cents per ml tax on e liquids in the budget bill. They passed the cigarette part, but not the e liquid.
The vaping tax he was pushing was a lot more than 40 cents per milileter.

CASAA: Ohio Call to Action: Gov. Kasich’s Proposed Budget will impose a massive tax on vapor products

10 ml bottle -- $11.25 (tax equivalent of 5 packs of cigarettes)
15 ml bottle -- $16.87 (tax equivalent of 7 ½ packs of cigarettes)
30 ml bottle -- $33.75 (tax equivalent of 15 packs of cigarettes)

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio

You may be right. My memory is terrible now. I do remember sending 150 emails it seemed, and making all those phone calls in my efforts to have it defeated.

And I'm watching to see if he tries to bring it back this year. Pretty fed up with politicians wanting to punish us for quitting smoking.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Well that's kind of the point. It's such a minor issue that it really doesn't warrant mention from the candidates.

I think you missed the point of my post.

Pretty much all issues currently up for discussion by national candidates are at least 25 years old. In reality, it's a new issue, and government is attempting to overreach for many reasons which many of us are familiar with.

Would be great if a candidate brought it up in way that says they will prevent (FDA) overreach. For now, we can just go by what candidates/parties say on similar issues relating to governmental entities engaged in overreach.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
It's a pet issue of no consequence to 99% of the electorate. In the scope of a presidential campaigh, it's not a blip on the radar.
Where do you get 99%? Are you saying it's only a concern to the ~4 million who've quit smoking via vaping? That's close to 2% of the electorate. These folks might also have friends and family who should be concerned. My wife and children certainly are, despite the fact that none of them have ever smoked or vaped, and both my kids are of voting age now. Then there's another 10+ million people who haven't quit smoking but do vape at least part-time to whom it should still be of some consequence. All told, I think we're looking at closer to 10% of the electorate than 1%, which is more than enough to sway elections.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
My mistake. Clearly vaping rights is a big issue to 1 out of every 10 people you pass on the street. Thanks for setting me straight.
There's another rather small group. By the best estimates I can find, it comprises just under 4% of the population. Yet defending that that groups rights has become a major plank for one of the parties. Maybe we should study how that group's concerns with their rights got to be a substantial political concern?

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
I would have to guess (based on what the PolFlys are buzzing about) that the majority of 'Beauty Pagent' contestants. Could give a Rats [edited] about vaping.
I think the subject that could get significant attention is Govment Interference in Our Everyday Lives. The Govment is Tasked with running the country (and doing a helluva job, I might add:facepalm:). Not NANNY STATING The Proletariat and Sin Taxing all that They Think Are Bad For You!

ETA The country's goin' to hell like a rocket sled on rails and these fools are too worried aboub keeping the Govment Wheels Rollin'!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: inspects

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
There's another rather small group. By the best estimates I can find, it comprises just under 4% of the population. Yet defending that that groups rights has become a major plank for one of the parties. Maybe we should study how that group's concerns with their rights got to be a substantial political concern?
You win. Vaping regulations are a key issue. My bad. It's economy, Isis, climate change, immigration, vaping regulations. 1 in 10 people are passionate about it. It's the linchpin to the election. I was wrong to call it a minor issue.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
You win. Vaping regulations are a key issue. My bad. It's economy, Isis, climate change, immigration, vaping regulations. 1 in 10 people are passionate about it. It's the linchpin to the election. I was wrong to call it a minor issue.

You went from 'not even a blip on the radar' to (pseudo) concession of, it is a key issue.

During primary season, I wouldn't expect it to enter into town hall / debate discussions. After primary, I would think it has reasonable chance of coming up, especially if we do a CTA where say 2000 of us flood an candidate (or both/all of them) about the issue. Perhaps far more than 2000 of us will do so if FDA weighs in first.

As stated earlier, there are vapers that treat this as really big issue, as in top 5 of all possible issues. A non vaper is less likely to have it reach top 10, but not impossible if they know a vaper/ex-smoker. And all the types that think government is too big has too much overreach wouldn't have to spend more than 2 minutes with a vaper to be sympathetic to our plight.

For (some to many) vapers this is a key issue. For 2016 elections, I hope it is more than a blip on the radar. For sake of the black market, I don't care if anyone on national scene talks about it. Kids going to vape, and if country wants to maintain ignorance on this issue, so be it.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
I get the feeling that the issue is a very hot potato. You know these people are aware of it but they don't touch it. It's much easier to let the existing machinery hash it out, but doesn't make it a non-issue. Maybe someday someone will have the guts to say how they feel about it one way or the other.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
It's not a hot potato. They simply don't care. Look, if there are 4 million vapers, I'd guess more than half are gas station vapers who probably assume it's already regulated. There's another 25% who vape but can't be bothered to care whether things are regulated.

Then there are those aware of the regulation issue but who actually support it. Then more who would prefer regulation doesn't happen, but don't consider it a benchmark issue.

The fraction that care and would actually base a presidential vote on it has to b e so much smaller than some folks seem to believe. The issue is simply too small for a presidential election.

Reactions: LaraC

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I see a corrupt government, which caters to special interests rather than our interests. Special interests include but are in no way limited to BT and BP. I would hope that if the government got out of bed with special interests, we would actually have a chance to keep vaping alive. So long as government is in bed with special interests, well, I'm afraid I don't see much hope.

I only see one candidate running with a serious intention and track record of standing up to corporate interests...debate-ably two....

Last edited:
Reactions: JamezC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread