Does Anyone Else Hate The Taste Of New Cotton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
I have tried all sorts of different cotton. Japanese organic cotton, Cotton Bacon V2.0, the cotton balls they stick in with your new tank or atomizer, etc..... But for the first several drags they all taste like I'm sucking my liquid through freshly washed bed linen. I saturate well before I seal up my decks and assemble my tanks but this taste pervades. I've even pulled tanks apart again right after filling them because I was thinking I'm getting dry hits but the cotton will still be good and saturated. This taste lasts for several good draws and sometimes doesn't go completely away for a couple of hours. Eventually it settles down and I start tasting my juice in full effect but the first several draws almost make me gag from the taste of cotton.

Let the record show I have experienced this on Kanger Subtank Minis, my Smok TFV4 Mini and a couple of clone tanks I picked up. That being said, I don't think it has anything to do with any particular tank either.

If there is one think truly dampening my vaping experience right now, it's that fresh cotton taste. Is there some way to get rid of this??

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I guess this is one of those subjective kinda things. I've gotten to the point where I don't even notice the new cotton taste anymore.. But then I've got the kinda taste buds that think Hershey bars with mustard is a delicious treat. :confused:

Maybe try Rayon??

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
I used to feel the same as the OP and really notice the new cotton taste, but I've not noticed it recently.

I don't know if I've got better at wicking or my taste buds have just become oblivious to the cotton.

I also take my KGD out of the plastic bag it comes in, and leave a few sheets to air in my vape box. Again not sure if this really helps or has just become a ritual.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
I also take my KGD out of the plastic bag it comes in, and leave a few sheets to air in my vape box. Again not sure if this really helps or has just become a ritual.
Might be something worth trying. Maybe get something I can put the cotton in with a little container of liquid to sort of let it absorb the taste through evaporation.

Reactions: Foggy Road

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX

There may be something to this. I do keep all my cotton in the baggies but they're not air tight and have been kept in my VERY delicious smelling vape kit (tool box) for months now.

aceman3330

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2014
Nakhonsithammarat, Thailand
This may seems like a silly suggestion, or even an insult, but it's not. Right before I build I wash my hands thoroughly then again right before wicking and again before filling ghe liquid and again when it's all said and done.
I also puff a few short drags and blow out without inhaling in the beginning.
Oh, and if I find some cotton taste too horrible, I quit using it and switch to other brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I don't use tanks. I'm a squonker, using bottom feed atomizers only. But one thing I do is this. When I rewick, I give a couple squonks, in order to fully saturate the wick; and then I'll let it sit for several minutes, before hitting the power and taking my first drag. The only time I've ever gotten a noticeable cotton taste is when I've vaped a new wick too soon. If I let the atty sit, for even 1/2 hour, I never get any hint of cotton. I usually use either KGD or Cotton Bacon.

Skitterpop

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2015
Nova Scotia Canada
Is there some way to get rid of this??

I had the same problem and went through several different types of cotton. Tried rayon and have never wanted to use anything else since. A 500 foot box from sally's and I have a life time supply for myself and my son.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I have tried all sorts of different cotton. Japanese organic cotton, Cotton Bacon V2.0, the cotton balls they stick in with your new tank or atomizer, etc..... But for the first several drags they all taste like I'm sucking my liquid through freshly washed bed linen. I saturate well before I seal up my decks and assemble my tanks but this taste pervades. I've even pulled tanks apart again right after filling them because I was thinking I'm getting dry hits but the cotton will still be good and saturated. This taste lasts for several good draws and sometimes doesn't go completely away for a couple of hours. Eventually it settles down and I start tasting my juice in full effect but the first several draws almost make me gag from the taste of cotton.

Let the record show I have experienced this on Kanger Subtank Minis, my Smok TFV4 Mini and a couple of clone tanks I picked up. That being said, I don't think it has anything to do with any particular tank either.

If there is one think truly dampening my vaping experience right now, it's that fresh cotton taste. Is there some way to get rid of this??
What I care about most is a nice throat hit. For me that experience is at it's best with new wick and wire. To keep things fresh I rewick every 3-5 days and make a new coil every 1--2 weeks. I use Japanese organic cotton and it's fine.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
What I have found especially with rayon is that the breakin taste directly relates to how tight the rayon is in the coil. When I first started using rayon, and packed the coil tight I had a severe breakin taste that usually lasted for the first tank, now with experience along with a slightly looser wicking, I can wick my rayon subtank/TFV4 and have no taste what so ever. I did have a brief encounter with cotton eons ago as wicking but didn't like replacing the wick every few days so I used hemp fiber for a couple years in our protank builds, thats another breakin taste altogether, hemp requires removing of all the off colored shards and bunnies or you get a woodzy taste but was a more absorbent and longer lasting wicking material than cotton.
I do store all my wicking in airtight containers(nothing more special than wicking a dog hair into the coil...YUK), wash hands before touching and not pack the coil too tight. Plenty of hits and misses learning to wick but it paid off with almost perfect wicking in every build now.
IMO its well worth ditching the cotton and using rayon as wicking. The rayon box your after is box #44060, thats for the 500' box.

UnclePsyko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
PJNY
That's two suggestions for rayon now. Isn't rayon part polyester or something? Won't that melt? Has me curious what y'all are using.
No, rayon isn't polyester... Polyester is a synthetic man-made material, rayon is basically purified cotton, nearly pure cellulose.
I hated the taste of cotton myself so I switched to rayon a few years ago and never looked back.
Rayon can also handle higher temperatures than cotton, it doesn't burn as quickly when getting dry and I think it's better at wicking juice than cotton.
Cotton basically absorbs the juice like a sponge and swells, Rayon wicks more efficiently and doesn't swell up in the coil, choking off the juice flow.
Give it a try, couldn't hurt.
There is a loooong discussion here:
Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I vape a DIY Hangsen tobaccos and can run my subtank/provari for 3+ weeks at work vaping @3 tanks a day and take the coil that has a bit of cocooning but the rayon is still nice and not burnt, thats a spaced 1.2ohm coil so it can fire the provari.
I agree totally with UnclePsyko, he saved you 751 pages of reading. Once you catch on to how tight the wick is to be in the coil, rayon is nothing short of a great vape.
Pull the rayon back and forth in the coil so you feel it just has a ioda of friction and stop. Rayon doesn't swell so you need that ioda of friction to set the rayon nicely in the coil.
I've been using rayon for almost a year now and the bottom line is if you have a breakin taste with rayon then its wicked wrong, probably too tight. There should be no breakin taste at all if the coil is wicked correctly.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Rayon.... no cotton taste..

and BTW, why hasnt anyone tried Egyptian cotton??? When I go into the expensive linens departments at hi end stores all I see is linen made from Egyptian cotton... dont ever see japanese cotton sheets etc... if japanese cotton is supposed to be so awesome.... hmmmm makes ya think

GccTxs67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Virginia
I always tasted cotton with TFV4 stock coils, seems like it took over half a tank before it was gone.

I use 2 wicking materials, Cotton Bacon V2 or Texas Tuff Raw Cotton, neither have a cotton taste to me.

I recently did a wick with Koh Gen Do and it tasted like Cotton.....Never used Rayon, thinking about trying it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread