Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Sorry for your loss Lizzie. I know what that's like. It's a shame we only get to keep our pets for such a short time. We love the larger breeds and they always seem to outgrow their hearts. Our wolf dog is part Sheppard and they are notorious for hip displasia. He's already starting to show signs when he gets up.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Sorry for your loss Lizzie. I know what that's like. It's a shame we only get to keep our pets for such a short time. We love the larger breeds and they always seem to outgrow their hearts. Our wolf dog is part Sheppard and they are notorious for hip displasia. He's already starting to show signs when he gets up.

We love our pets, Wuzz.

Good morning, Voltpeeps.

The job gave Hubby a day off to recover from his grief at losing his dog. We are going into town to do a little shopping and to show the new puppy's growth to MIL and FIL.

The weather is turning fabulous and I feel like spring is coming early.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I should catch you up to date on the tutoring, since it's been a while since I gave you any news, and Lizzie asked how the birthday party went. That was last Thursday, a combo for the boy and girl, whose birthdays are only a few days apart.

I got chocolate cupcakes for the boys, a small carrot cake serving for the girl, and fruit tarts for Grandma and me. I love those fruit tarts Wegmans makes! In fact, I've gotten them for dessert for various dinners, and no one has complained. So, though Grandma said she didn't want anything, I got her one, too, figuring I could eat 2 if it came to that.

The little boy was all bent out of shape when I picked the kids up at the restaurant. Their dad had taken them out shopping so the older boy could choose a birthday gift, and the little one set up such a wail that the dad got him a smaller gift, too. These were Ninjago Lego sets. The older boy is into that particular kind of Legos at the moment.

Anyway, the little boy was crying and wouldn't stop. I had already confronted the problem of him not getting a gift when his brother and sister did. I gave him the choice of having his birthday now, with his siblings, or else in May when his birthday actually is, and he chose May, so he was prepared not to get a gift from me. My one concession was that he could get a candle on his cupcake, too, make a wish, and blow out the candle. But he was still crying when we got to the study room, where we'd have the party, and I told him he couldn't have his cupcake till he stopped crying. Soon enough, he did stop.

The older boy was amazed that I knew he wanted Ninjago Legos, and I told him he could thank his sister for that, since she was the one who told me. The girl liked the cup decorating stuff, though "waking up" those Sharpies was a task she found annoying. You have to shake them quite a while, then scribble on paper till they get flowing. I knew you had to do this, but never thought it would be such a big operation.

I told her as she finished the mugs -- I found cheap ones at Walmart for 88¢ a piece, in case anyone is looking for cheap, plain white coffee mugs -- that I'd bake them for her, and next time I came, she had done 2, which I took home to bake. That evening I baked them, and the smell was pretty bad. Also, the red turned sort of purplish.

BTW, Grandma did eat some of the fruit tart, and she also gave the kids a taste, and they all said next birthday party, they wanted fruit tarts. Then the girl revised that and said she still wanted her carrot cake.

Yesterday evening, I took the 2 girls to their school. The 3rd grade classes were doing storytelling night, where each kid got up in front of their classmates and parents and siblings to recite a story they had practiced. The school brings in a couple who teach the kids to tell the stories -- Beauty and the Beast Storytellers -- and before the kids told their stories, this couple told a story that I found interesting: The Cardiff Giant, a true story about a famous hoax in the 1800s.

The girls both did a fantastic job telling their stories. I stood at the back of the classrooms of each so I could go from one room to the other and hear both girls, since they aren't in the same classroom, even though both are in the 3rd grade. Luckily, after the first girl finished and I went to the other room, I was just in time to hear the 2nd girl.

The new girl is progressing at her usual whirlwind pace, and now she's reading beginning 3rd grade stuff. That's fantastic, considering when I started with her in Sept., she was reading middle 1st grade stories. Soon, she'll have caught up with her classmates. But her writing is still far behind, as is the case with all the kids. They still make grammatical mistakes that they do perfectly on a worksheet, but when it comes to creating their own words, they seem to forget. And the new girl is still having trouble with spelling. We continue to work on sounding out words, which really helps a person spell what they don't know, but there's a ways to go there yet.

The older boy of the 3 kids, the original boy, is doing fairly well lately. We're reading Chinese history of the time after the last emperor and up till the Communist victory. At the moment, we're reading about the Long March. I had photos in the reading material, and he wondered who would be taking pictures, so yesterday, I decided to print out something about war correspondents for him.

The oldest boy, also the newest pupil, who I only see once a week, is doing OK. He is reading aloud a bit better, and he writes coherently. I still nitpick over spelling and grammar in his writing, but he is by far the best of the group at writing. He asked to read about all the people hoping to run for president, so I was giving him one at a time, but last week, his mom said she wanted to add 1/2 hour to his tutoring session and that he should get more homework, so now his homework will be to read about 2, a Democrat and a Republican, and compare them with each other and with the candidates he has already read about. At the end, I'll have him select the one he thinks would make the best president.

He says he wants to read history, and I want him to read some classics, so I'll see if the Leatherstocking Tales by James Fenimore Cooper look doable. They are classics, encompass history in their stories, and take place near here. I also may look into Mark Twain. Any other suggestions about what a 12-year-old could read with help that would be classic historical fiction? I was wondering about Longfellow's poetry, too.

The 2 girls have accumulated enough stones for a field trip, though I told them I want to wait till spring when the weather is better. The girls can't agree on what they want to do together, so they may each go their own way. The new girl has said repeatedly over the course of time that she wants to ride a horse, and my friend has agreed to let the kids ride hers. The original girl wanted to see the Jungle Book movie, but now she wants to go on an Easter egg hunt. She has wanted to do this for years, but for some reason, it has never come to pass, so maybe this year. Her older brother said he'd like to go, too. I haven't counted his stones to see if he has enough, but if not, maybe by the time the egg hunt comes up, he may be ready. The little boy would probably like it, too, and he should have enough stones, though his sister thinks he lost some because he didn't put them right into his container when he got them. He will be outraged if he gets left behind!

I wonder, too, if his older siblings have been confiscating his stones. Recently, his sister was found stealing some and had to put them back. I gave her a lecture about honesty.

Now you are caught up on the latest tutoring doings.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
'moanin, Voltatics.

Hubby is lucky getting a day off, Lizzie. My, how times have changed.

Sounds like the kids are actually doing pretty well, Sandy. The little one will, hopefully, probably, outgrow his temper tantrums IF he finds out they have negative or no results.

We're in for some cold weather, coldest of the season, over the weekend. Highs in the low 20's and lows around zero. We just had a snow shower that is actually lake effect snow blowing down from the Great Lakes. The wind isn't too high, but high enough I guess. I just looked out the sliding door in the dining room to check the "blizzard" and instead saw the sky go black with black birds. They can really invade in a big way during the winter.

All this cold weather makes me really jealous when I look at the weather in the Thessaloniki suburbs :)

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moaning, Volties.

Nice to see you post, Celti.

I guess most of the country, east of the Rockies anyway and as far south as northern Alabama, is in or will be in a deep freeze for the next couple of days. It never got over 25 here yesterday and is supposed to drop all day today and bottom out below zero, 20.8 now and 22.6 when I got up at 6. Oh well, that's winter time and to be expected. Bo doesn't seem to mind the cold, until it gets really cold or it's really windy as well. We're just going to stay inside and toasty, no need to go out other than walking Bo.

I see the Thessaloniki suburbs are staying around 60. Figures ;)

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

Thank you Celti. Sorry about your lousy weather back east peeps.

SandySu, thanks for updating me about the kids.

Trit, your weather is definitely warm.

The weather here has turned nice. The bad news is, if the fruit trees and other trees decide it is spring, then we have frozen buds. Not nice. We shall see.

I've been wanting a leather couch for ages. I've looked and looked and they are basically out of my affordability. Plus, I want a sectional so Hubby and I can both take a nap in the afternoon. And, the couch has to be within a size that will fit into our small den.

Our current sectional is ultra suede which attracts dog hair so I have couch covers. The couch covers have to be fixed every day, twice a day. A real pain in the .....

The old couch is getting super old and lumpy.

I found a leather sectional at Costco for a really good price. I think I will buy it. Yes, I will have to make payments but I have been looking at couches for over a year. Sometimes, you gotta make up your mind and go for it.

Leather is good when you have dogs. Their nails won't do too much damage and you can wipe it off. No more slumping couch covers.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
We battle the couch cover, too, and also could use a new one. Ours is kind of ancient but still comfortable and it's a recliner on both sides...great for naps. Our problem is also size, and dog hair, but Bo doesn't go on the furniture at all so dog hair isn't too much of a problem. It's on the list of things to replace, though.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
We battle the couch cover, too, and also could use a new one. Ours is kind of ancient but still comfortable and it's a recliner on both sides...great for naps. Our problem is also size, and dog hair, but Bo doesn't go on the furniture at all so dog hair isn't too much of a problem. It's on the list of things to replace, though.

Our couch is L-shaped and has two recliners built in but as it turns out, we never use the recliner portion. Not too long ago Hubby was complaining that "his" side of the couch was really uncomfortable. I have noticed my side getting less comfortable, as well. The couch is probably 15 years old and we use it all the time. It is worn out. It wasn't an expensive couch although I do remember having this same debate with myself on whether or not to replace our original second hand couch fifteen years ago due to cost:) Furniture isn't cheap.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
We use the recliner all the time. In fact yesterday I reclined as I studied the insides of my eye lids for about two hours. We bought this one about fifteen years ago, to, and it is getting overdo for replacement. We have to watch the size, lack of wall space and Bo's "lounger" and a 48" diameter lounging pad kind of kill the space in the living room. We had to take out a chair and side table as it is already

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I don't know. Yesterday, Armageddon, temperature wise, was predicted by the weather dramatists. A high of 20 or so early in the morning then constantly dropping all day. By now we were supposed to be in the mid to low teens and it's still in the low 20's. The sun seems to be keeping the temperature from dropping at all. We had a dusting of snow last night and it has all, literally, evaporated between the wind and sun.

I get a kick out of the rain gauge on the weather station. It reports we had .02" of precipitation this morning, with sunshine. It's the snow melting that got caught in the collector.

The anemometer is reading the wind at about 15 feet off the ground. The yard is surrounded by trees that are 60-70 feet tall so if I wanted the "true" wind speed I'd have to get it up at least 70 feet and that ain't gonna happen. Towers are too expensive.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
So i upgraded my equipment today. I bought a 20 watt MVP... I know, not much of an upgrade but it was in my budget. What I really, really want is an MVP 3.0 PRO... can't wait til I am able to afford one of those!!!

Nice!

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I don't know. Yesterday, Armageddon, temperature wise, was predicted by the weather dramatists.
They gotta keep their ratings up. Showtime. The overnight low was ten degrees higher than predicted.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
BRRRRmoanin', Volties

It was cold this morning but it didn't get as low as predicted, 5 when I got up at 6. At least the wind has dropped off so it isn't quite as bad. 60 in the Thessaloniki suburbs, some people have all the luck.

Qew

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Michigan
Happy Valentines Day to All!
Valentinesdaytree.jpg

Tritium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Your nearest hydrogen bomb.
Hey awsum i found a documentary for you

the guns he mentions are probably handguns because they also have the same amount on automatic and machineguns.
Not to mention grenades and bazookas lol.

I think this is the whole of the documentary

Seems better than the first one.

Last edited:

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
@Qew what a sweet Valentine message. So pretty.

The weather here is close to freezing over night and 65 today. I can't complain.

We had to take the old couch out.

The new couch is out of the boxes, legs installed and it does fit in the room although it does take up a bit more room in an already tight room.

I tested it and I can take a nap on it. It better last at least 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread