Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
A Latakia NET that a Reonaut extracted and kindly shared some of with me to do DIY with has ruined me forever on tobacco joose. I really need to get off my duff and buy the professional equipment to properly extract it myself so it could be an every day/every night ADV.

Not professional, but I have nearly a liter of various NET extraction that I am trying to give away. I'll send you an invite to a Conversation that I started about a month ago.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Not professional, but I have nearly a liter of various NET extraction that I am trying to give away. I'll send you an invite to a Conversation that I started about a month ago.

Thanks for the exceptional offer. :w00t: I'll respond in the PM that you invited me to.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Typically tobacco e liquids that need to be aged 6-8 weeks or more the Old Skol ways (depending on the extract)... usually only need 6-8 hours in a UC with a 24-48 hour rest afterwards.

Paths cross... My very first vaping gear was several 76mm and 102mm mech Halo G6 batteries with a large supply of mini tanks for them (already knew I'd hate cartos). And Halo Tribeca was the first joose I ever vaped.

For me it was their Turkish Tobacco. Ordered one of Halo's ego kits and a bottle of turkish tobacco on a whim, and by the time I had the thing up and running I had smoked my last cigarette. For about a year or so, I even left on my desk the cigarettes I'd bought that morning; they were a reminder and a willpower test. I never touched 'em.

To this day, I believe that the long-wicked kanger t2 clearo clones that came with my first kit are the best tanks I've used. Oh sure, I've found a better vape on different tanks; the best were rebuilt protank minis wicked with organic cotton -- but all of the various crap I bought in those first several months failed to match the lowly t2's bang-for-buck, ease-of-use, and consistency. Probably blew through $3,000 on gear experimentation, and let's not even get into juice experimentation.

Even so, my trusty spreadsheet reports that my household has saved roughly $13,000 in the last ~2.5 years, based on cigarette prices at the time. The number probably should be higher, as my city passed an additional $2-per-pack tax a year ago.

Regardless, the REO arrived in May of 2014, and it hasn't left my hand since. Nothing compares.

The juice issue is stickier, and not just because I'm prone to spill it. Despite 38 years of near-indiscriminate eating habits, I'm apparently picky as hell when it comes to vaping flavors. Only a handful are passable. Don't love Tribeca (which tastes like toasted almonds to me, not tobacco), but I've been messing around with it as a savory change-of-pace complement to the sweet stuff that is my staple.

It's not bad. And the price is right. Recipe is simply 10% RY4 Double (The Flavor Apprentice), mixed with 1% Acetyl Pyrazine (also from the Flavor Apprentice), though I'm thinkin I'll reduce the former in the next batch. If only it tasted as good as it smells.

If only they all tasted as good as they smell. Thanks for the tips, man.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
For me it was their Turkish Tobacco. Ordered one of Halo's ego kits and a bottle of turkish tobacco on a whim, and by the time I had the thing up and running I had smoked my last cigarette. For about a year or so, I even left on my desk the cigarettes I'd bought that morning; they were a reminder and a willpower test. I never touched 'em.

To this day, I believe that the long-wicked kanger t2 clearo clones that came with my first kit are the best tanks I've used. Oh sure, I've found a better vape on different tanks; the best were rebuilt protank minis wicked with organic cotton -- but all of the various crap I bought in those first several months failed to match the lowly t2's bang-for-buck, ease-of-use, and consistency. Probably blew through $3,000 on gear experimentation, and let's not even get into juice experimentation.

Even so, my trusty spreadsheet reports that my household has saved roughly $13,000 in the last ~2.5 years, based on cigarette prices at the time. The number probably should be higher, as my city passed an additional $2-per-pack tax a year ago.

Regardless, the REO arrived in May of 2014, and it hasn't left my hand since. Nothing compares.

The juice issue is stickier, and not just because I'm prone to spill it. Despite 38 years of near-indiscriminate eating habits, I'm apparently picky as hell when it comes to vaping flavors. Only a handful are passable. Don't love Tribeca (which tastes like toasted almonds to me, not tobacco), but I've been messing around with it as a savory change-of-pace complement to the sweet stuff that is my staple.

It's not bad. And the price is right. Recipe is simply 10% RY4 Double (The Flavor Apprentice), mixed with 1% Acetyl Pyrazine (also from the Flavor Apprentice), though I'm thinkin I'll reduce the former in the next batch. If only it tasted as good as it smells.

I was not addicted to nic, could take it or leave it. So diving in was as easy as it gets. Not so on saving any money though, not even close. Based on what my cigs cost then I would have saved less than $7K to date on cigs/pipe tobacco (about 33 months), but spent $24K+ on vaping instead in that same time period. It took a hell of a lot of gear and joose to get to where I am now... finally finding my niche. I still have the gear, lots of spares/supplies, but tossed out 1000's of mls of premade/DIY joose.

Reactions: Fulgurant

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

I've never tried Tribeca. But from what you describe, it sounds like a facsimile of an Asian type RY4. Adding a bit of Acetyl Pyrazine to an RY4 recipe will give it an Asian twist. No one that I know of has ever perfectly recreated the original Hangsen or Dekang RY4, the granddaddy of Asian RY4s. It's been theorized that the thing that gives it it's distinct flavor is a Pandan extract, Pandan is a plant which is commonly used in Southeast Asian cooking. There is no commercially available Pandan extract to be used in DIY ejuice, that I know of. But using Acetyl Pyrazine is a good substitute.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
So I pulled out my little ultrasonic cleaner device (emphasis on little) It holds 1 pint and the highest setting is 480...seconds.
I'm game though and have already run a few cycles. My 30 ml bottles are even too tall to close the lid. Presently I'm running it with the lid ajar a bit. Am wondering if the open lid will defeat my purposes? Please tell me "no" and that I don't need to break out a bunch of 10 ml bottles.....

Reactions: PapawBrett

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
You're good to go. Open lid? No problem. Bottles taller than the water level? No problem.

480 second timer? Lotsa short cycles to get to your 2-ish hour steep, but again, no problem.

You'll see that the water will still heat up a lot around the 45 minute mark.

Reactions: Robinowitz

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
You're good to go. Open lid? No problem. Bottles taller than the water level? No problem.

480 second timer? Lotsa short cycles to get to your 2-ish hour steep, but again, no problem.

You'll see that the water will still heat up a lot around the 45 minute mark.
THANK YOU! Just had to add another appreciation note. I'm at the end of my 2 hrs, I changed the water around 45 minutes (yes, you were right on there too), and am looking forward to some wonderfully steeped e-liquid soon! Gonna keep that little machine out another day and clean some jewelry too.
Good evening kind sir...

Last edited:

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
I am looking at a few UC, but I am not sure....
Can you do multiple flavors (bottles) at once ? Or will the UC wash away the labels ?
Not that I'm a professional UCer now but I can share my experience of my extensive use (last evening...hahaha). I have a smaller unit (1 pint capacity) and I had 2 plastic 30 mls, 1 glass 30 ml, 1 glass 60 ml and I still had room for 1 or 2 more. (I kept the lid open...actually, the bottles kept the lid open). I kept the lids on during the process. Afterwards I let them sit, without lids in a dark cupboard. This morning, I can really taste the difference. The labels on the plastic ones didn't change. One of the labels on the glass one (nearest the side of the machine) did get shredded, so I just slapped a piece of masking tape on their with pertinent info.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Of course you can do different flavors together, they're in their own bottles. And different size bottles together as well. I use numbered temporary labels (painters tape/sharpie) high on the bottles or on the caps and don't put my selfie printed labels on until they've finished in the UC. Realize that you also don't have to have the entire bottle up to the neck in the water bath either.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Don't have a UC but I've doing a little reading, and I am trying a Crock Pot aging now. 50ml glass dripper bottles with a NET, gonna try maybe five hours. Will need to check the water temp (wife should have several thermometers in her kitchen) from time to time and try to stay around 150*F. Funny thing, I actually have an old crock pot that I had bought myself for Thanksgiving Ham, which I cooked every year until spiral cut hams came out. One little glass bottle inside this thing looks ridiculous, and Mamaw is fussing that I am going to "blow up the house with your stuff !" Hope not, anyways....

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
You guys peeked my interest. The UC would clean attys too, right? Good way to get lingering flavors out of attys?
for enhanced atty, etc cleaning, add a teaspoon of dish-wash liquid (dawn? for you guys, Fairy Liquid over here, no, I don't know either !) for extra bubbles, the exploding micro-bubbles are what does the cleaning. If you want a demo, set a 1inch square of aluminium foil in there and see what it looks like after running the UC for a minute !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread