Basic VG Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
Well there's been a slight delay. Nicotine, syringes and brown glass bottles have arrived. I've decanted the nicotine in to one of the brown bottles and put it into the fridge but i stupidly thought the syringes would come with needles on the end of them but they haven't so i'm now waiting on some needles.

I've got 15ml of the max VG juice i bought 6 days ago and i was planning using all that up before i switched anyway.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
It'll be worth it in the end Stewart!

I had diluted my basic e liquid earlier in the week with more 50/50 PG/VG down to 12 strength and excitedly filtered my tobacco extract this morning adding it in various percentages to trial batches til I got it the way I wanted.

I like it best around 20% and it's actually quite subtle at that ( to me anyway, but bear in mind I smoked a pipe for almost 50 years ). Next I'll add some methol to some to see how it pans out.

This mixing could almost become a hobby on its own as wine making to me once was.

Good luck with your mix...and thanks again for giving me the idea!

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
The "tobacco taste" is actually much less pronounced and more subtle than I expected especially given the colour it started off; I do like a bit more hit hence I'm probably going to add menthol to it.

The juice certainly is smooth, has that slight hint of nut in the background that I mentioned earlier and I cannot complain about vapour production.

When smoking a new or mild pipe tobacco ( and in a way the basic juice mix reminds me of "Gold Block"/ "Cut Golden Bar" ) I always used to give it at least a week while I got used to it before taking a final decision - I'll do the same here before I hit it with menthol.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
I'm toying with the idea of the vodka - trouble is I like gin and Spanish brandy ( which is heavily dosed with vanilla and is only 30%) but with the flavourants in these I'm not sure about adding either...I'm sure my daughter left some vodka here however last time she visited. Now doing some research on this aspect.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
I have just ordered two bottles of gin flavour concentrate - will report back when it arrives and I have tried it out.

I will leave the small amount I have flavoured with the tobacco extract to steep but after vaping the unflavoured stuff in my squonker I have come to the conclusion that I prefer it minus the tobacco extract.

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
One step closer here, i've picked up my 5L of distilled water which will last years! :blink:

Just the needles for my syringes to come now but i guess i could use the syringes without them if i really had to :unsure:

I wonder if there are any red wine flavours available. I love red wine, it's my nemesis, i end up drinking it far too often but at the moment vaping is keeping my wine consumption down nicely. Wine flavoured juice would be ideal! :hubba:

Reactions: Falconeer

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
Ok i have everything i need and the first batch has been made :2cool:

Man the VG was hard to pull in to the syringe! Admittedly room temperature wasn't particular high on a cold day like today but i was surprised how much effort it took to transfer over 70ml of VG. I doubt that my mixing was entirely accurate taking in to account i needed something like 8.223 ml of nicotine but i must be somewhere near that figure.

It's surprising how much thinner the juice is with 15ml of distilled water in it but i've yet to try it to how it vapes. I'm on my last half a tank of shop bought max VG juice so i reckon i'll be topping up with the new juice at some point tomorrow. I also estimate the flavour of my current juice will take a few tanks to dissipate.

Reactions: Falconeer

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
If you do ever want to go down the flavouring route - I discovered a company called JustVape 24/7 in the UK - good selection, easy site to work and next day delivery with the gin flavour I ordered.

With the trial batch I made, on the exhale through my nose, it took me back to my youth and a long discontinued gin , "Booths" which was the first brand I ever tried and which I loved.

Straw coloured with a very distinctive flavour it was and my Dad who hailed from the East End maintained that it was popular because you could tell if the Landlord had been watering it because of its colour!

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks Falconeer, i've book marked JustVape 24/7

The basic juice isn't doing it for me. With it being 100% VG it's just too smooth. It doesn't feel like i'm vaping anything. There is 0 throat hit.

The reason i wanted to try 100% VG is because i suspected i have an intolerance to PG but mouth issues i've been having since i started vaping were just as bad on Max VG (which has less that 15% PG in it) than when i was vaping juice that was 80% PG. Or at least i think so.

One thing i think that is for certain is that if i do have a PG intolerance and vaped juice with PG in when i am experiencing problems with my mouth and lips then i wouldn't get better. A the moment i've switched back to a 40% PG liquid and everything is healing up.

Also i don't think i've put enough nicotine in my last batch. 6mg is definitely not enough. I was getting cranky so tried one of my older juices in my Nautilus and it blew my head off but i felt much more content. I've used about 10ml of my 100ml batch so far so i'm going to try and figure out how much nicotine i need to add to make it up to 8mg and then use it up.

I've got a doctors appointment tomorrow to discuss the endless cycle of mouth troubles and if i don't have a problem with PG i'll get myself some PG and some flavours from JustVape and make what i hope to be a more satisfying vape.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
With the first trial batch I made - it had to be at 18 strength before I got any real taste, throat hit and even then I found it subtle - really too subtle for me.

While the tobacco extraction thing worked technically OK, I have to say as I worked my way through the juices I had mixed with it, I found that I was disliking it more and more and so in the end binned the stuff I had mixed it with.

That took me into flavours - the gin has been a real success at around 10% by volume, menthol superb and I'm playing about with a juice by UK Vapers that I got because it was supposed to taste like sherbet lemon sweets. In fact this only really tastes overwhelmingly of rather sickly lemon- but cut with 2/3 by volume of my unflavored juice and with a dash of menthol, I actually like it a lot.

As they say "Vaping is a journey"...hope the mouth symproms pass - I did have a minor version of what you have about six weeks into vaping instead of smoking. I drank lots of water and it was away within 2 weeks.

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
Interesting... sounds like you are doing really well! :2cool: It's a shame about the tobacco extraction though, that must have been a bit frustrating. It's funny i never really liked the taste of cigarettes and always chased a smoke with a drink to take the taste away. So i don't think i'll ever try to find a tobacco flavour to vape. Ales, good lagers and wines are another matter though, i love the taste of a good quality tipple.

I've just spotted a beer flavour which i think i'll sample ;)

The mouth issues are strange, i was expecting some ulcers/canker sores and got them, but they came and went in a cycle for the first six months. One week without then one week with. I've occasionally had two weeks without but the cycle persists still. I'm currently on a week with that is just starting to end and i'll probably be fine by the time i get to the docs tomorrow :facepalm:

I've read a ton of threads on here in the past few days and the only scenarios i kind find that are pretty much the same as mine a change of toothpaste was the cure. I'm not going to do anything before speaking to a quack tomorrow though.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
I've heard of folk recommending Biotene Mouthwash and even moderate amounts of red wine - oddly enough the same thing that used to be recommended for new pipesmokers with the dreaded "Tongue Bite."

Yes I saw the beer/ale flavours too - these are for more research as I loved Mann's Brown Ale, MacEwan's Export, Fowler's Wee Heavy and a lot of old style regional English beers when I was younger!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread