How low can my ohms be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodshard

Feb 14, 2016
Well, for what it's worth I think you're heading in the wrong direction.
When I was young, there came a point I had to say, "You know what, I'm going to stop spending so much time doing stuff I can't afford, or wasting time trying to do something with the wrong tools and spend my brains towards something actually productive."

As it is right now you already have a powerful vape and I don't see any reward for taking extreme risk.
That's why I came here.. I'm trying to get out of the risky stuff, I used to be one of the guys walking around with sub-sub ohm builds, and I've been trying to get away from it (which I kind of have since last year I was running a .05ohm build and this year I've been sticking with the .1 to .25 ohm builds) and be safer... Just can't help it till I can get correct information, seems like people kept giving me bad information on my gear and setup, so I figured if I got my information from people who actually knew what they were talking about I'd be a lot safer.
And people here really seem to know what they're talking about. So I decided to give it a whirl and see what information I could collect.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Not really about pushing. More of I want to know what I should stay far away from since I'm trying to be safer about it

When I got down to .7 ohm and had a great vape that was all I needed to know. Going lower than that was anything but a good vape, it was way too hot, and quite unpleasant. I saw no point in pushing it lower, which I could quite easily have done, but what was the point of it? To know how low I could go? Why, when .7 ohm was golden and safe with my batteries, and I would never need to go lower?

Bloodshard

Feb 14, 2016
When I got down to .7 ohm and had a great vape that was all I needed to know. Going lower than that was anything but a good vape, it was way too hot, and quite unpleasant. I saw no point in pushing it lower, which I could quite easily have done, but what was the point of it? To know how low I could go? Why, when .7 ohm was golden and safe with my batteries, and I would never need to go lower?
like I said though all I have is this low resistance wire and no money to go get different wire, I could easily build something with the wire I have left for framing, but I'd prefer not to so I don't have to buy even more wire to frame my builds with on top of buying even more wire to build with... So I'm just trying to make sure if I build something with the low resistance and frame it. it won't vent my batteries... Safety became a big issue for me after my brothers wife's mod got stuck firing and vented literally the second she threw it away from her

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
like I said though all I have is this low resistance wire and no money to go get different wire, I could easily build something with the wire I have left for framing, but I'd prefer not to so I don't have to buy even more wire to frame my builds with on top of buying even more wire to build with... So I'm just trying to make sure if I build something with the low resistance and frame it. it won't vent my batteries... Safety became a big issue for me after my brothers wife's mod got stuck firing and vented literally the second she threw it away from her

Framing your builds? What do you mean by that? Do you mean taking a picture of your build and having it framed? I have to say, doing that has never once occurred to me. I just buy spools of kanthal that last me a very long time, and stick to the ohms that work best for me.

Perhaps you could explain what you mean by "framing" your builds. Not a term I've yet heard.

Reactions: mauricem00

Bloodshard

Feb 14, 2016
Framing your builds? I have to say, doing that has never once occurred to me. I just buy spools of kanthal that last me a very long time, and stick to the ohms that work best for me.
I like to build the high strand count coils... And usually all of my builds are framed so I can get additional surface area and higher ohms, but low resistance wire seems to work opposite and seemed to drop ohms when framed for some reason.. maybe it's because it's a hybrid wire or something, I don't have a clue... But I'm about to a point where I'm just gonna do a plain coil untill I can get a different kind of wire, from what I've got from everyone on here it seems way to risky to try any crazy stuff with low resistance wire

Vaslovik

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I like to build the high strand count coils... And usually all of my builds are framed so I can get additional surface area and higher ohms, but low resistance wire seems to work opposite and seemed to drop ohms when framed for some reason.. maybe it's because it's a hybrid wire or something, I don't have a clue... But I'm about to a point where I'm just gonna do a plain coil untill I can get a different kind of wire, from what I've got from everyone on here it seems way to risky to try any crazy stuff with low resistance wire

Oh, I see, you are doing that radical coil thing. Nevermind. I just do one strand with single coils and that's quite enough for me. If you need more than that, for SOME reason, I've nothing more to say.

Reactions: mauricem00

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Not really about pushing. More of I want to know what I should stay far away from since I'm trying to be safer about it

One reason you're getting a little bit of a hard time is;
If you don't already know how low Ω you can safely go you shouldn't be anywhere near as low as you are or have been.
It takes a thorough understanding of the system as a whole ( all pieces, parts, contacts, threaded areas & at least basic battery saftey ) to safely subohm using a mechanical.
If you want to use mechanical & low sub ohm resistances safely you need even more knowledge.
Or a regulated device with the proper batteries for the power range you intend to use.

Not trying to be rude or harsh, attempting advanced builds doesn't sound like a good idea at all if you don't already know the basics.
Trying to fly a jet before you can walk thing.

Bloodshard

Feb 14, 2016
One reason you're getting a little bit of a hard time is;
If you don't already know how low Ω you can safely go you shouldn't be anywhere near as low as you are or have been.
It takes a thorough understanding of the system as a whole ( all pieces, parts, contacts, threaded areas & at least basic battery saftey ) to safely subohm using a mechanical.
If you want to use mechanical & low sub ohm resistances safely you need even more knowledge.
Or a regulated device with the proper batteries for the power range you intend to use.

Not trying to be rude or harsh, attempting advanced builds doesn't sound like a good idea at all if you don't already know the basics.
Trying to fly a jet before you can walk thing.
Yeah I can understand where you're coming from there... I try to keep it as safe as I can get it, and I know a little battery safety (enough to keep me from venting using kanthal with parallel) but the low resistance wire is new to me and I didn't want to make any mistakes in its use, so I'm just going to stick with regular coils till I can buy more kanthal for framed builds and even then I think I'm gonna cut it down to single or double strand coil Framed instead of my usual builds... I take no offense, good information is good information.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
I try to keep it safe, my usual builds come out to .15 to .2 ohms and i'm just trying to figure out how I need to build with this wire before I go blowing myself up, it's my first time with low resistance wire, so I really don't want to make any mistakes... I'm currently running a 12 wrap at .2 ohms with the same low resistance wire on my Switch Mod
kenthal wire is cheap. hospital visits are expensive. with an unregulated mod do yourself a favor and scrap that mystery wire and buy some kenthal wire. you will be much safer for a small investment

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've ran the math on my triple 18650 parallel box and it seems my amperage limit is about 45A combined (thats with 5amps removed from each battery) so I'm just wondering how low I can build before I'm being risky... I mostly build at .2 ohms, but the low resistance wire I just got takes an insane ammount of wraps to get there. I havnt been able to find any info on this, and was hoping someone could help me out with this... I'd like to know I'm not going to vent my batteries if I try this wire framed... Cancel that my lowest ohms should be 0.098 (with recalculated amps) (still feels risky for some reason to me)

Checking this out for safety is the right thing to do :thumb:

You have three batteries in parallel in a mechanical mod. With freshly charged batts the circuit is 4.2V. The amp draw is easily calculated from ohm's law using 4.2V and the resistance of the build. That amp draw is split between the batteries.

That means if you're using one 20 amp battery 0.21 ohms draws 20A so that's the low resistance limit. With two batteries in parallel (40A limit combined) it's around 0.11 ohms. With three batts (60A combined) it's around 0.07 ohms.

There are a couple of other things to consider though, as with most things.

For safety, think about how accurately you can measure the resistance. If your meter is high by only say 0.05 ohms (which is entirely possible), a 0.02 ohm build would show as 0.07 ohms but actually be 0.02 which would draw 70A from each battery. That's way over the max continuous amp draw the battery is rated for and well into the danger zone. The same 0.05 ohm error with a 0.21 ohm build (single 20A battery) = 0.16 ohms, which draws 26A. A bit high, but not nearly as bad as 70A.

In the same vein, if you have a sightly loose wire connection the resistance will read a bit high but that could go down if the connection changes. Again, the lower you build the more significant that would be for the batteries.

Then there is the power thing. In a mech mod with a single or multiple parallel batteries, build resistance is the biggest factor that determines the power (watts) output. With mutiple mech mod batteries in series it all changes because circuit voltage goes up.

So at 0.21 ohms you're making around 70 watts considering a bit of voltage drop, at 0.11 ohms it will be around 130 watts and at 0.07 ohms it will be around 200 watts. These three vapes will be completely different and you'll probably want to set the builds up very differently for each.

When I design a build for a mech mod I start the process with the power I want. That determines the wire gauge I need to get the number of coil wraps with the number of coils I'll be using to get the vape I want from it.

Unfortunately you're working with a given low resistance wire. Stuck with that as a starting point, I would think about the number of coils, the number of wraps and the inside diameter used to get the resistance (and power) I want. Taking one coil out of a dual coil build gives you twice the resistance and half the watts. Using more wraps, as you know, increases the resistance of a coil at the expense of more heat up time when you push the button. Building on a bigger pin reduces the number of wraps needed to get the resistance you're after.

I wouldn't go lower ohms in a mech mod than I had confidence in the calibration of my meter and my skills to make sure I was going to be safe. I also wouldn't go so low that the vape was going to be too aggressive.

0.1 ohms is too low for me for safety. I also wouldn't like the vape, but that has nothing to do with the battery safety aspect. IMO if you can't get a build with the wire you have at high enough resistance to be comfortable for you, don't do it. You can get a 30 foot roll of wire for under $10.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I didn't know you were using multiple wires per coil. Drop the strand count and the resistance will also go up.

I use the Steam Engine coil coil wrapping calculator for that before I build something new. It works very well and I get reasonably close to the resistance I was aiming for.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I should have waited for your answer before I started on about regulated devices.
Listen to carefully to Rydan, he's right on the money with the safety aspects. Also, if you want to push that much power through a pair of coils you are much safer with a regulated device.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Yeah I can understand where you're coming from there... I try to keep it as safe as I can get it, and I know a little battery safety (enough to keep me from venting using kanthal with parallel) but the low resistance wire is new to me and I didn't want to make any mistakes in its use, so I'm just going to stick with regular coils till I can buy more kanthal for framed builds and even then I think I'm gonna cut it down to single or double strand coil Framed instead of my usual builds... I take no offense, good information is good information.

If you want to put safety first, I'd say aim for no lower than half ohm.
Wire is cheap; pick up some simple 28 gauge kanthal and work from there.

Whats wrong with your vape? Not enough nicotine? Not enough cloud.

If cost is so bad a problem you can't get some decent wire, then what are you doing about eliquid??

I buy 24mg liquid and dilute it 10 to 1 with glycerine+10% bottled water.

Tell us what the problem is.
Maybe your problem is really about the liquid

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
hmmm... know exactly what amp rating your batteries are capable of, lower that number by 20% for a safety factor... then use that number as an absolute maximum amp draw to design your coils around

example... 3 X 20 - 60A, 60 - 12 = 48A. 48A is the maximum current draw you should even consider... that would make it about .083 ohms and will produce about 180W

battery life will last about 20 hits ;)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.

hmmm do you mean you are using 2+ strands of wire per coil??? if thats it that is called parallel wrapping... and that lowers the ohms per coil/per additional wire... so basically if you have 2 coils with 3 wires each, you need to do the math as 6 parallel coils...

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
.07 wow that's low...I just don't see the point in any build under .2 but anyway welcome to the forum and stay safe

.07 is low enough to burn the juice.

I don't even like .5. I feel that .75-.95 gives great flavor and vapor. I usually build to .8. This build came in at .78.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
hmmm do you mean you are using 2+ strands of wire per coil??? if thats it that is called parallel wrapping... and that lowers the ohms per coil/per additional wire... so basically if you have 2 coils with 3 wires each, you need to do the math as 6 parallel coils...

There are two ways to have two pieces of wire

Parallel and twisted. Twisted is far easier to build than parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread