Nicotine and back surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtuna

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have been vaping for over 6 years and never really cared about lowering my nicotine level. I am facing possible lower back surgery and am reading that nicotine is a bone toxin and any intake of nicotine can lower my healing rate and success rate with back surgery especially if there is a bone graft. I was at 18mg but went to 6mg for sub ohm. I have a couple months so I am going to get as low as possible.

Sent from my bunker in the desert using Tapatalk

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
The issue that you are concerned about has been associated with smoking and all the other byproducts in addition to nicotine. I know that nicotine may affect re-vascularization and inflammation, but I haven't gone much into the details to be a good advocate. The good news though, is that you don't smoke anymore and if nicotine is the concern, stopping the nicotine in your vape a couple of day before the surgery and during the healing process will make your body behave like you never had any.

mrtuna

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and effects the oxygenation of tissues.This is especially a problem post surgery. It will also effect revascularization due to its vasoconstrictive properties. It is not recommended to consume any nicotine post-op.

Thanks for the advice! I am cutting down the percentage but it's hard to gauge how much I intake due to frequency of vaping. I will definitely get to zero a couple weeks before surgery and keep off it. I really want the surgery to be successful!

Sent from my bunker in the desert using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ipster

Coldrake

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
The beautiful Puget Sound
I thought this was certainly interesting.

"Smoking in the perioperative period increases patients' risk for surgical complications and healing difficulties, but new strategies are needed to help patients quit or cut down during this stressful time. These pilot data suggest that ENDS use is feasible and well-accepted in surgical patients, and worthy of exploration as a harm reduction strategy in these patients."

Feasibility of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems in Surgical Patients. - PubMed - NCBI

Reactions: Izan

Nimaz

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2015
I thought this was certainly interesting.

"Smoking in the perioperative period increases patients' risk for surgical complications and healing difficulties, but new strategies are needed to help patients quit or cut down during this stressful time. These pilot data suggest that ENDS use is feasible and well-accepted in surgical patients, and worthy of exploration as a harm reduction strategy in these patients."

Feasibility of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems in Surgical Patients. - PubMed - NCBI

Welcome back and I hope your surgery went well. It's funny because i was reading this abstract earlier today...

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
ALoha MrTuna.
Im a wee worried about you, since I dont see you since January 1?
How'd surgery go?
Can I share tat my first 3 back surgeries I was still smoking Tobacco. I was always afraid of surgery so
I understated my needs. I started with micro discectomy, followed by Disc Nucleus replacement followed by
discectomy/lamenectomy. The Third had me immediately out of the recovery room into my own hospital room
saying "Why the heck did I wait so long?"...AS you come out of recovery into a hospital room the typical orderly instructions are to pick you up by the 4 corners of your sheet on the gherny and lift you on to the bed. I immediately stood up on the floor and said..."no you dont...I can walk just fine the full 3 feet to the bed thank you"...I then put on a pair of Levi's a Tee shirt grabbed my pack of smokes and headed for a hidden courtyard space as typical tobacco smokers do! I didnt light up though.I was just elated to be walking pain free for the first time that I could remember in a few years! I instead got on my cell phone and called clients so they wouldnt know I wasnt at work, so my actual work wouldnt skip a beat.
So I hope you do as well as I did...without the trials by conservative means. I should've just "gone for it"...turns out in my case my neuro surgeon makes his "bread and BUtter" repairing lower back injuries. IN Hawaii most of those are top athletes from the surfer community, from construction industry and from other hard core physical exertion lifestyles.
I smoked another couple of years truth be told.
Im now headed for cervical fusion tomorrow, and honestly I havent cut back on vaping one bit. Maybe I should but
I am going to same Surgeon and as optimistic as can be.
s check in and let us know how your doing- good bad, or in between....PLEASE?
sending hugs for no more back trouble!
Cheers.

Reactions: M4rtin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread