Lowest ohm for 12mg vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauragal

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2008
New York
Hi,

I know there are probably a lot of variables, but I'm looking to reduce my nicotine level - currently vaping 18 mg using 1.8 ohm atty in a Triton mini or Nautilus mini tank, on an iStick/Eleaf 40 watt battery.

My question is this - would I be able to vape at 6 or 12 mg using a 1.0 ohm in the Triton mini tank and not feel a tremendous difference? I would rather not sub ohm (direct to lung) vape.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated. I am ready to buy something else to make this transition easier. Thank you!

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Hi,

I know there are probably a lot of variables, but I'm looking to reduce my nicotine level - currently vaping 18 mg using 1.8 ohm atty in a Triton mini or Nautilus mini tank, on an iStick/Eleaf 40 watt battery.

My question is this - would I be able to vape at 6 or 12 mg using a 1.0 ohm in the Triton mini tank and not feel a tremendous difference? I would rather not sub ohm (direct to lung) vape.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated. I am ready to buy something else to make this transition easier. Thank you!

Sure, that should be fine. I recommend going with 12mg, though. I found stepping down from 18mg to 12mg to be fairly easy, (1/3 less nic), but going from 12mg to 6mg a little tougher, (1/2 less nic). Of course, using 0.5 ohm or lower dual claptons in a RDA, I'm now finding 6mg to be more than sufficient.

Ymmv.

Last edited:

lauragal

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2008
New York
If you like where your coil resistance is now,you should have no problem using those same coils,and just getting the lower nic juice.If you want to use the lower ohm coils,you should still be fine.

I just figured if I lower the ohms, the throat hit might be as good for the 12 mg as it was with higher ohms on the 18 mg. I've been vaping for 4 years, you would think I'd have this figured out by now!

In a nut shell, I just want to lower nic level, yet still feel the same "power". Ultimately I'll like to get down to 6 (have no problem with that in a sub ohm), but the idea of direct to lung scares me.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I don't know those tanks, just wanted to toss a couple of general points at ya :)

Looking at the Triton heads the 1.2 ohm is rated for 15-20 watts and the 1.8 clapton for 13-16. Generally the lower you go in resistance the more power it will need for a good vape, but that's not always the case specially if you're talking about temperature control. In this case you might well get more 'action' out of the higher resistance head and have an easier time maintaining TH at the same power as with the lower resistance.

If you want to reduce the nic content of your juice to use less nic, keep in mind that if you do so and raise the watts you'll be vaping more of the lower nic juice per day so you could be getting the same amount of nic at the end of the day.

When I was reducing my nic levels I went all the way to zero. During that time I did increase the power but zero nic at any wattage is still zero nic. I like TH and never did find any way to really get it back without nic.

Good luck with it :thumb:

Reactions: lauragal

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I just figured if I lower the ohms, the throat hit might be as good for the 12 mg as it was with higher ohms on the 18 mg. I've been vaping for 4 years, you would think I'd have this figured out by now!

In a nut shell, I just want to lower nic level, yet still feel the same "power". Ultimately I'll like to get down to 6 (have no problem with that in a sub ohm), but the idea of direct to lung scares me.
Ok,that makes sense,i wasn't even thinking about the throat hit,so in that case,lowering your ohms a bit,and possibly even upping the wattage a bit should get you where you want to be.
As for figuring things out,don't sweat it.Alot of people find what works for them,and have no need or desire to look beyond that.I probably would not have either if i had found something i liked in the beginning,it took me alot of searching and trying different stuff to get something i truly enjoy,so i learned alot from all my searching.
As far as sub ohm stuff,like Daviedog mentioned,you can do mtl on a sub ohm setup.That was what finally got me a satisfying vape was going to a sub ohm setup,and i rarely do direct lung hits,99% of the time i mouth to lung hit.My usual setup is .4 ohms at around 40-45 watts with 12mg,but i wouldn't go that low without trying your idea of going right around an ohm,as that may get you right where you want it to be.

lauragal

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2008
New York
Ok,that makes sense,i wasn't even thinking about the throat hit,so in that case,lowering your ohms a bit,and possibly even upping the wattage a bit should get you where you want to be.
As for figuring things out,don't sweat it.Alot of people find what works for them,and have no need or desire to look beyond that.I probably would not have either if i had found something i liked in the beginning,it took me alot of searching and trying different stuff to get something i truly enjoy,so i learned alot from all my searching.
As far as sub ohm stuff,like Daviedog mentioned,you can do mtl on a sub ohm setup.That was what finally got me a satisfying vape was going to a sub ohm setup,and i rarely do direct lung hits,99% of the time i mouth to lung hit.My usual setup is .4 ohms at around 40-45 watts with 12mg,but i wouldn't go that low without trying your idea of going right around an ohm,as that may get you right where you want it to be.

Thank you - I have the device and set up for sub-ohm, just not the right mg of liquid - I just ordered some 6 mg and 12 mg juices, so I'll see how it goes....

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
You are Beck's brother and i claim my $5.

The level of nicotine in your juice has nothing whatsoever to do with the ability of your device to vapourise it.
If you do decide to sub-Ohm vape, make sure you know how to calculate safe ranges for your coils and batteries, and if you can't be bothered, use a regulated device (with electronics in it) to afford you some protection.

T

lauragal

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2008
New York
You are Beck's brother and i claim my $5.

The level of nicotine in your juice has nothing whatsoever to do with the ability of your device to vapourise it.
If you do decide to sub-Ohm vape, make sure you know how to calculate safe ranges for your coils and batteries, and if you can't be bothered, use a regulated device (with electronics in it) to afford you some protection.

T

Yes, that's my problem - I don't know how to calculate safe ranges, so I prefer to use a regulated device, like the iStick/Eleaf 40W - I also have the CoolFire IV by Innokin but I have no idea what i'm doing with it and nothing tastes right in it. I will have to do some research on that one.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
actually one can subohm 36 nic... its all in the amount you inhale... small easy hits are needed... if you are going for clouds at 36, then you may possibly loose your cookies ;)

clouding with 36 nic is kinda like drinking everclear at the same rate of drinking beer....
you can chug down beers easily but as far as Everclear... you sip gently ;)

Reactions: GeorgeS

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I concur with some of the others - wattage/ohm's might not always have a direct effect on nicotine level, it depends on how you use it.

Up until this season's hay fever and cold I was regularly vaping 18mg on everything from 1.2ohm builds and all the way down to 0.1ohm builds. (D2L) I currently switched from dual coil tanks to single coil and M2L tanks (Nautilus) and reduced my nicotine to 7mg. (only temporary until the fever/cold passes)

While it may take a few "primer" puffs to get your plumbing used to it at first starting your day after that a few puffs here and there is all it takes to keep your nicotine level up.

Yes, on higher output devices/builds it is fairly easy to over do it. High nicotine mg and higher output needs to be regulated by the user. (in the number of puffs they are taking) Comes in handy if you get 5min breaks at work, <=10 puffs is enough to last a few hours.

If you like to "chain vape" I'd suggest getting a bottle of 0MG VG and dilute some juice down to where your not getting dizzy.

lauragal

ECF Veteran
    Aug 8, 2008
    New York
    I concur with some of the others - wattage/ohm's might not always have a direct effect on nicotine level, it depends on how you use it.

Up until this season's hay fever and cold I was regularly vaping 18mg on everything from 1.2ohm builds and all the way down to 0.1ohm builds. (D2L) I currently switched from dual coil tanks to single coil and M2L tanks (Nautilus) and reduced my nicotine to 7mg. (only temporary until the fever/cold passes)

While it may take a few "primer" puffs to get your plumbing used to it at first starting your day after that a few puffs here and there is all it takes to keep your nicotine level up.

Yes, on higher output devices/builds it is fairly easy to over do it. High nicotine mg and higher output needs to be regulated by the user. (in the number of puffs they are taking) Comes in handy if you get 5min breaks at work, <=10 puffs is enough to last a few hours.

If you like to "chain vape" I'd suggest getting a bottle of 0MG VG and dilute some juice down to where your not getting dizzy.

Good idea and I hadn't thought of that - 0mg juice to dilute - any reason why it should be VG? I tend to vape 50/50.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Good idea and I hadn't thought of that - 0mg juice to dilute - any reason why it should be VG? I tend to vape 50/50.

No, not really. Most of my mixes are %97VG so it was the 1st thing to come to mind besides places like Amazon selling it dirt cheap. I also have some 50/50/0mg in stock that can be had at many of the bulk suppliers. Lastly I find that high VG content makes for a satisfying cloud. ;)

I forgot to mention, while limiting the number and frequency of puffs might be obvious, reducing the size and amount of actual vapor your ingesting (some tanks have a top air flow adjustment that will dilute the vapor stream) by 'side drawing' or 'open drawing' on the drip tip to test if your throat/lungs can handle the full vape.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Texas
    If TH is your aim there are typically 2 ways to achieve it with juice, namely higher PG (so your 50/50 is a good idea) or higher nicotine.

If you run a 50/50 it'll work in just about anything, from tanks to lawnmowers. If you get really high on the VG, it's a more viscous fluid and it'll not flow well.

T

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread