Status
Not open for further replies.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
When I first quit smoking and started vaping, I got some tobacco flavors also. I ended up not vaping them because they smelled HORRIBLE and tasted just as bad (to ME). I thought, being such a heavy smoker, that I'd like the tobacco flavors, but it turned out I couldn't stand them. My whole house didn't get stunk up, but the cabinet I kept the juice in was gag-a-maggot stinky for some time after I got the bottles out of there. Every time I opened it, I wanted to hurl. Now, I did OPEN the bottles, but none was spilled, so it might not be that this friend is a drama queen so much as he's just oversensitive to the smell of the tobacco-flavored juice. I know I sure was.

Reactions: wvducklady

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
I ordered several tobacco flavored juices (Ry4) for a friend I was helping to switch from smoking to vaping. Also ordered a couple other blended tobacco juices to have on hand as samples for others. They remained in their sealed bottles, inside a sealed ziplock baggie, in a bubble envelope with the flap cut off, and away from any sunlight, etc....and I definitely could smell them from 10-12' feet away. Certainly didn't "stink up" my whole house, but there was a very definite smell from them, and it wasn't one I liked at all.

When I first quit smoking and started vaping, I got some tobacco flavors also. I ended up not vaping them because they smelled HORRIBLE and tasted just as bad (to ME). I thought, being such a heavy smoker, that I'd like the tobacco flavors, but it turned out I couldn't stand them. My whole house didn't get stunk up, but the cabinet I kept the juice in was gag-a-maggot stinky for some time after I got the bottles out of there. Every time I opened it, I wanted to hurl. Now, I did OPEN the bottles, but none was spilled, so it might not be that this friend is a drama queen so much as he's just oversensitive to the smell of the tobacco-flavored juice. I know I sure was.

Thanks to all who replied (you two, in particular)…your replies have given me a pretty good idea of what my friend experienced. Seems he wasn't over reacting…I think it would be rude of me to continue to ask him to mail me juices, specially since he's given up smoking and has probably developed a real aversion to that tobacco smell.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
My last order of DIY supplies arrived with no leaks and all flavors sealed in a plastic bag. I could smell all the Creams, Banana and Desert flavors. Unless the bottles were loaded in a totally clean room type of environment that is normal. My sense of smell keeps improving as I am approaching the 2 year mark of my last cigarette.

Maybe ask your friend to wrap the box in a garbage bag to seal off the package one more time.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
Thanks to all who replied (you two, in particular)…your replies have given me a pretty good idea of what my friend experienced. Seems he wasn't over reacting…I think it would be rude of me to continue to ask him to mail me juices, specially since he's given up smoking and has probably developed a real aversion to that tobacco smell.

I just realized when I saw my quoted post that I made a typo. I meant to say I thought your friend might NOT be a drama queen so much as... anyway, you obviously got my meaning. ;) Sorry!

Reactions: wvducklady

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
As for the 'stink' thing, I can only guess that my buddy's sense of smell has become quite sensitive since he quit smoking altogether 6-7 years ago.

Yeah, that happens - my wife can smell people that smoke in Holland, where she's from, despite living here with me in the USA.

Find better friends.

T

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
Yeah, I will…when he's cooled off a bit :)

Spoke to MBV and they said it's normal…as I had some strong tobacco flavours in my order…apparently they can go through bubble wrap as well.

As for the 'stink' thing, I can only guess that my buddy's sense of smell has become quite sensitive since he quit smoking altogether 6-7 years ago.

This.

Some people's senses are much stronger than others. And if it's a smell that is off-putting to them it can be somewhat irritating I guess.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I had this happen to me once back when I first started vaping. I threw out an entire order because of the smell. I had no tobacco flavors in that order. The nic was either old or bad. And as I opened the package the smell got worse. Nothing inside was broken or unsealed. The smell gagged me and even after I placed them in the garbage and took the trash outside, it took a while for the smell to dissipate. I am talking a couple of days. The only other thing I can think of is that the package may for some reason sat in the hot sun somewhere on route to its destination. In either case, even if he sends it to you(which I don't recommend) you probably won't use it. I would have my friend dispose of it and re-order. Not worth losing a friend over.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
This.

Some people's senses are much stronger than others. And if it's a smell that is off-putting to them it can be somewhat irritating I guess.

I got a couple hundred flavors i sit right next to at nose level for DIY but i can't smell any of them , my nose sucks though so makes sense.

If i was equipped with a sniffer like Adrian Brody i would be in good shape though .

OhTheAgony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Netherlands
I got a couple hundred flavors i sit right next to at nose level for DIY but i can't smell any of them , my nose sucks though so makes sense.

If i was equipped with a sniffer like Adrian Brody i would be in good shape though .

A couple of hundred you say?

I'm a little green with envy right now
24462279700_2cc68e3b1d_o.gif

I just started DIYing after finding out I'm sensitive to PG and I currently have two main flavors at my disposal and 3 more accent flavors to spice them up with a bit, lol

I have a pretty sensitive sense of, well, basically everything, lol, and it has it positives and negatives I guess. I often wish I could smell or hear a little less to be honest, like TS's friend right now I imagine ;)

Reactions: herb

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Store on the balcony then.

And lemme know the adress ;) - could always use a free restock ;)

Kidding aside, more acute sense of smell, plus a possible sensitivity to one or more of the major ingridients could elicit a strong reaction. And as we're using flavours in high concentrations ( food processors get by with much lower, for instance ), they could permeate anything over time except glass.

Atty you vaped anyting with menthol in can only be used for anything else with menthol.
Somehow that stuff manages to 'cling' forever..

Reactions: OhTheAgony

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Gee, I don't know. No one who has been in my house ever complained about the smell of the juice here, in fact one complimented me on the "aromatherapy candle" she was sure I had lit. She smelled it from the front room, and had no idea it was my vaping. When I told her it was "Oh, it's that....." Nothing further from her...

She and I have had no contact since.

Reactions: OhTheAgony

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
…..they could permeate anything over time except glass.

If there's one thing Ive learned out of this it is that I will never order plastic bottles again….only glass.

Tomorrow, a package from Black Note which uses glass bottles will be delivered to my friend…Ive asked him to see if those smell too.

If they don't, it will show (to a large extent) that glass prevents these kinds of odours escaping.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I will add to my much earlier post, and say that the only eliquids I've smelled through the bottle, a ziplock baggie, and inside an opened bubble envelope...have been tobacco eliquids. I've never smelled any of the other flavors at all that I've ordered, even though they've been in plastic bottles, too. That leads me to believe that it's just something in the tobacco eliquids only, that causes it.

eLicky

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2016
Sydney - Australia
I'm very new to vaping, I've found strong fruit flavours in my room tend to let off a small aroma, particularly if I've just opened them makes my room smell like a candy shop which I don't enjoy so I stash them out in the Kitchen away from me. My first vaping tobacco e-liquid is a Dunhill flavour, smells/tastes quite a bit like coconut and quite pleasant all round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread