Not open for further replies.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
The fuchsite is fascinating! It has small rubies inside of it? Woah..... I am intriguied. I know this is one you prolly won't make due to it fragility, but it is gorgeous.

Looking (VERY) forward to the pics of the jade, agate, and the lapis lazuli! So very pretty!

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
I can't wait to see the lapis either. I hope it looks as nice in person.

Yes the rubies are inside the other rock. I am not sure how it was all formed, I am still a newbie.

Here is how the petrified wood is coming along. At this stage there is a little bit more turning to finish. Next it will be sanding and polishing.

Dry
74cbf481e6cc58e110ff3d04d17fb253.jpg

Wet
37df861bc72361baa04c19215bda783d.jpg

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Tortoise is moving a bit fast for this tip :)
Today I received a delivery. With it I was able to remove the tool marks and make the surface smooth. I can't wait to see it with a polish.
9e7806fd28872b32e9244f0e81f2bc80.jpg

It almost DOES look polished. I can't wait to see the final creation, too, Lewis. GREAT JOB!

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Mega cool.

Idk about this stuff but I was under the impression gem stones were too brittle for lathe work, I assumed that's why there were faucets or carbachons. I wonder if gemology sites would have some sort of scale, like hardness, for lathe work? I know there's a small group on ECF that dabble in gemstone cutting.

Regardless, you've taken drip tips to a whole new level. Screw the atty, I want to wear it on a chain around my neck. Awesome.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
Thanks everyone :)

So far I am getting way with turning hard stone and have only had issues with stone that was to soft. Turning soft stone on a wood lathe like alabaster is pretty common. They use tool steel and carbide scrapers to turn with. Turning hard stone on a lathe is rare. The tool steel and carbide doesn't do much good, but diamond cuts it slowly.

The gemology sites list the hardness of the stone, but nothing I have found for a lathe. I have been trying to find a scale for the polished surface, but I can't find any information. I am going to attempt polishing to .25micron/100,000 grit, but have no idea what that type of a polish is called.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Mainly that diamond cuts it and I don't know what to call it other than shiny :D

Sorry, I forgot the yaaay part. The lapis showed up today.
5ec10a4f7d87aee63f1dad842ce331c7.jpg
Interesting. FT carries a "jade" tip that looks similar. I think they use the word jade very generically. reviews have said they had a rough texture. I got my assessment that stone couldn't be worked on a lathe from the TruStone website which is probably biased.

Shek is one who cuts his own gemstones. I have no idea if he's got anything to add. Looks like your doing good on your own.

I can't wait to see what's next.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

whokrz

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
ca
Thats to bad that FT didn't polish the tips and sent them out rough.
The trustone website is correct, a wood lathe and tools are not designed for cutting stone. Trustone has stone dust mixed with resin or acrylic which allows standard tools to cut it.
No doubt I am abusing my wood lathe and drill press. The stone dust can find its way into the bearings and the hard stone will quickly dull and chip tools. Water can also ruin chucks, tools, bearings and cause everything to rust. I understand that what I am doing will shorten the life of the tools, but for me it is worth it. I keep everything well oiled to slow the corrosion, but in time parts will need replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread