Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I have one question right off the bat. I wrap my Kanthal single coils to around 1.3 - 1.5Ω, and I'm used to fairly long slow draws. I understand that the SS coils will ramp up faster, and I'm wondering if I should build a little higher Ω coils than I normally do? It seems to me that with a faster ramp up, that it might make a long slow draw more intense than I'm used to.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
You have it backwards. When using SS wire, compared to Kanthal of the same gauge... reducing resistance will decrease the "heat capacity" (heat up and cool down times) values, while increasing resistance will increase the time required for heat up/cool down.

Other points of interest...

To obtain the same resistance of Kanthal - gauge for gauge - you will use about twice as much wire with SS.
What that means is - aside from the reason for the change in ramp speeds mentioned above - SS, for a given resistance and gauge, will provide nearly twice as much functional surface area as Kanthal. This can be a negative if you have limited coil fitment space.

Another way to look at it... for a given resistance, 26 gauge Kanthal resistance per mm is near equal to 30 gauge SS. There are parities similar to this through all common gauge comparisons.

One last comparable... with a similar gauge, coil ID and wrap count (+/-) SS will provide a resistance approximately 1/2 of Kanthal.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
^that. @oplholik you may even want to try a little lower resistance than normal since, IMO at least, SS provides a smoother vape than kanthal. Maybe shoot for 1 ohm or 1.1 and see how you like it :)
Lower than that even. Best to build the same way as earlier with kanthal, not paying to much mind to resistance (which doesn't matter on a regulated mod anyway). If you normally do 8 wraps of 28ga kanthal, try 8 wraps of 28ga stainless steel (for example).

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Ok, I didn't see that anywhere in the op.

Yeah, it wasn't said, I just know the OP from elsewhere on the forums. We're both mech squonkaholics. Hope you didn't take my remark as snappy or anything, not my intention, it's good you pointed that out for anyone who may have been confused so thank you :)

Reactions: KenD

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Yeah, it wasn't said, I just know the OP from elsewhere on the forums. We're both mech squonkaholics. Hope you didn't take my remark as snappy or anything, not my intention, it's good you pointed that out for anyone who may have been confused so thank you :)
Nah, didn't take it as snappy at all. Was just going through the op, up and down, trying to find where mech mods were mentioned :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread