What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Mission accomplished. My 18/19 year old refrigerator's ice maker stopped getting water to make ice. Before I went to Texas, I was in Lowes (or HD, not sure) checking out how much I'd need to spend for a new one. A sales rep asked if I needed help and I explained my dilemma. He suggested pulling out the refrig. and seeing if there was a buildup of dirt that might be affecting the operation.

Well, when I returned from Texas I did just that. There wasn't any major buildup, but the pump was fairly easy to access. I researched and I was pretty sure that's where the failure was. I had a bit of a hiccup when I questioned if I had the right part, got in on an online chat and dropped one of the letters in the model number. However when the new part came in, I was back in business within the hour. Hopefully that will buy a year or three.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yeah, I was considering getting a slightly smaller side by side but the price of them and the life expectancy all went into at least pulling it out and seeing if it was something simple. It would have cost $70, but the two shipping added $15, but if it lasts even a year longer it was worth it.

When you get to my age you start thinking in terms of life expectancy vs life expectancy. When the puppies arrived I looked up Chihuahua ant theirs is 11-18 with 15 as an average and Maltese are 12-14 with a 13 year average, 14 seems about right and that puts me at 82 after 43 years smoking. It could be close, or not.

Then again, I don't know how m]big a red tail will go after and the foxes were real active last night and close. I got out of my car yesterday afternoon and this was a crashing sound and a screech right in front and to the left of me. I looked up just in time to see a red tail coming up from ground level and land in tree. He sat there looking and flew down toward the ground a second time. Not sure if it was a squirrel or some other creature he was after but he missed.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Our dog freaked out with the rain storms yesterday and last night and ended up waking me up around 3:45 this morning. The next time we have a bad storm overnight she's going to get a Benadryl. The vet had told us before that it was ok to give her the 25mg ones when she is having allergy problems. They just happen to make her tired and sleepy which might keep her from getting panic stricken and waking us up.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I broke down last night and ordered a liter of 100mg from chemnic. I have been stewing over it since the fda thing came out last week. Besides that I've ordered a few hundred feet of wire, four kfl tanks, and a few other things. I'm going to freeze the liter and keep using out of the stash that I have been working out of for the last six months. I still mix most of my liquids around 20mg except for my menthol tobacco and mix that at 30mg. I use higher strength but don't go through a lot so a liter should last me a very long time. I should be able to make 4-5 liters from that one liter of 100.

Reactions: The Rebel

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Wow Hitt, I didn't realize you were still in the double digit nic level vapes still. Once I went sub ohm, I haven't vaped anything higher than 6mg. Ive even done 3 and, if I really like the flavor, zero. Unfortunately there's no throat hit at all at zero, or at least I haven't found anything that works on that sensation. Now that there are two vapers in the house and one goes through it like it's water, a lot more juice is emptying out of bottles.

Something new to be worried about, the emerald ash borer. I don't know if you have ash trees in your neck of the woods, but my little forest and everyone around here has a lot of ash trees. They're some of the biggest on my property and around things like my driveway shed and woodshed as I'm coming to realize.

The little emerald pest somehow got over to this country from China and eastern Asia and somehow found its way into the States in 2002. It only eats and kills ash trees and it's doing a remarkable job. I may have more firewood than I know what to do with if my suspicions are correct. The tress become dangerous if they get infested and are left to drop on their own and the only solution is treating or dropping them and when you own 5 acres of trees, treating is impracticable.

The boy scout property across the street has had lumberjack folks in taking out trees for there board value. I don't know if there are enough here or whether I want to deal with the damage they cause harvesting the trees. Just another life event to experience.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    The ash borer is a problem in MI too. I think there's a DNRE regulation about hauling camp fire wood around the state to help stop the spread.

A couple years back we were driving around the northern lower peninsula down a narrow, winding road cut out from the surrounding forest. The canopy overhead was so thick in spots that it was like driving through a tunnel, it was pretty cool.

Then it suddenly opens up into a large grassy clearing with a billboard saying this used to be an ash forest that was decimated by the ash borer.

Pretty saddening, if it was as thick as the rest of the trees around, they really destroyed a ton of trees.

On the nicotine note, I read somewhere that capsicum used in certain concentrations can replace nicotine for throat hit in zero nic juice. I get most of my nic from snus, but I mix 2-3mg in my diy as I like the throat hit. I may have to dig that thread up and try it out with these regs.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I was able to lower most of my liquids down to 20mg from 24mg when I started using sub ohm tanks. I tried going down to 12 but that didn't go well. I'm hoping with time I can drop it more. I don't vape much during the day at work but have a portion in most of the time.

I haven't heard anything about the ash borer around here. I might not be well informed on it though.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yeah, I read in one of the forestry sites where something like 60 million trees have already been killed from one inch on up. I can't imagine what things will look like when mine are gone. I've joked about living in the sticks because a lot of them are just that. However the Ash are some of the biggest, some at nearly 18" trunks, maybe more. Plus, as you said, the crowns are massive when healthy.

My biggest concern will be getting them down when they start dying off rather than waiting for nature to bring them down. I'm just sad to know that these majestic trees will be no more at some point. The only positive is that I won't have to go hunting for wood. Instead I'll be paying to have them lowered. Their crowns are way to huge to just drop them like a lot of the other varieties.

The other problem is once those crowns are gone and the light gets to the ground, stilt grass is invading the area. Japanese stiltgrass is a threat to native plants and natural habitats in open-to-shady and moist-to-dry locations. that covers just about any environment. It forms dense patches displacing native species plus it's unpalatable for wildlife. This whole ecology thing sucks.

Yeah Hitt, those buggers only started getting into Missou, but from the map they've been spotted somewhere in your area. I hadn't heard anything either until the Boy Scouts had the lumberjacks in a month or so ago, the a conservation group contacted me because after the trees come down they blast the area with roundup to kill the stilt grass which in and of itself has environmental issues to plants and animal life itself.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I'll have to google that stilt grass. I don't really know anything about it.

It started raining this morning shortly after I woke up. It has rained three of the last four days. Our dog keeps freaking out. My yard is going to be a jungle by the time it's dry enough to mow.

Reactions: The Rebel

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    We do a ton of camping each summer all over Michigan and the park rangers are pretty serious about checking you out before letting you in the park. They won't let you in if you're carrying firewood that you bought from home. Only local firewood is allowed. Those ash borers are some .......s to say the least.

I'm with you on the lawn Hitt. We've had rain the last four as well and I might need to sickle it first just to a length I can mow it. Might have a small window tonight if I'm lucky and the next round of showers holds off. Keeping my finger crossed. Since I laid down the fertilizer a couple of weeks ago, the grass is growing like crazy. Good thing is I haven't had to turn on my sprinklers yet, bad thing is, I'm not getting a lot done outside.

Reactions: hittman

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    It was a beautiful day around here today, cloudy with not a single moment of sunlight, but it didn't rain. This is starting to look like a repeat of last May. I went to mow my lawn before I left for Texas because I knew it would be unmanageable when I got home. Even though the battery was on tender, it was dead.

When I got back it looked like you guys describe your lawns. I ordered a battery via Amazon and I had it in two days. Got the length cut a reasonable but long length. Within 5 days it was ready for a second cut to get it close to normal length. Glad it was quick.

I opened up the shed door and a female cat was in there, it quickly ran to the back of the 20 foot shed. I wasn't going to even attempt to flush her out. I just left the door open and gave her the rest of the day to exit. That poor cat must have been very hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread