Older Folks and Vaping Back Porch-Part Six

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Gary ! Have you been living under a rock ? Ohmagosh !
A Billion Lives
Nobuddy tellz me nuttin! :(
sadangelBIGz.gif

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
A Billion Lives

That must be a big rock - I had never heard of it either or had not realized what it was about - To me that means the method they are using to get the word out is weak at the least...

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
That must be a big rock - I had never heard of it either or had not realized what it was about - To me that means the method they are using to get the word out is weak at the least...

Ahhh ... you were off to the islands soaking up the sun when all the hoopla came down about it.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ok, now I vaguely remember the hype. But just released 2 weeks ago in New Zealand. That's why it has a couple listings but isn't really up yet.
A Billion Lives (2016) - IMDb

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
And I watched it ... all of it. Quick, I need some Jail House Rock to cleanse my mind. :D
I admit, I thought Tiny Tim wrote and sang Tiptoe Through the Tulips. I did a quick search and found a segment on The Laugh-In with him singing it.
Right now I am sitting on my patio listening to Conway Twitty on my iPod while getting caught up on the porches on my Samsung tablet. I'm really enjoying my iPod. I went out yesterday and picked up a couple cds, the Beatles' White Album and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I am really enjoying getting back into music. I even dusted off my bass guitar. I'm not good on it, but enjoy making an attempt at it.
Jerry

therussellv

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Winters, Texas
Good evening, Peanut Gallery !!!

Anyone young enough to remember Howdy Doody, will know what the Peanut Gallery was. LOL
Sho nuff

Sent from a dark, twisted corner of the back porch, covered in cobwebs and slightly damp.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I was reading on ECF's Facebook page that Netflix is interested in A Billion Lives. I hope they get it!
oh wow I sure hope they get it!! Wanna see this sooooooo bad!!

It was a Miles day and the poor little dude had a fever, again.
awwwwwww poor lil guy! Even he had a lil bit of a red nose, and he beat y'all out cuz he's got red cheeks too! Sure hope he feels better soon. Is he teething maybe? or done with that? Been so long I don't remember when they get their full set of baby chompers. Love the pic!!

Good evening, Peanut Gallery !!!

Anyone young enough to remember Howdy Doody, will know what the Peanut Gallery was. LOL
Not young enough to remember it, but have seen clips of course!

A Billion Lives

Scroll down on that site and watch stuff...
:lol: Jup he has! Prolly lotsa big rocks in Canada!

Nobuddy tellz me nuttin! :(
View attachment 559011
I tellz u stuffs all da time, u just don't listen! :p

Don't tell me I told you nuttin! :rolleyes:
But ya did told him nuttin lotsa times, why can't he tell ya you did? :lol:

Ahhh ... you were off to the islands soaking up the sun when all the hoopla came down about it.
Good rememberin.......jup.......ok, he has an excuse!

OMG!!! LMAO. We couldn't resist joining you. Greg with his whiskers and me with my neck rolls and blemishes. We were photobombed by our newly adopted vaping kid. View attachment 559017
Oh too funny! Love it!!

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.
Nice! Good one to get!

umanbean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2009
Georgia, USA
Anybody in here familiar with hacking/rooting Android phones? I could use a l'il help...

I don't have an android myself, but... Would this work?
How-To: Safely Root Kyocera Hydro Air | One Click Root
I did a Google search on
how to root Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Kyocera Hydro Air

So you could try that, and if worst comes to worst, try some rooting hormone (found at most plant supply stores and nurseries) ;)

Unfortunately, One Click Root won't work with any version that came after KitKat 4.4.4

I only took a quick look at the page Ken posted, but... why won't One Click Root work?
It says on that page "For the camera, the Hydro Air features a 5MP primary camera and a 2MP shooter on the front. The phone runs Android 5.1 Lollipop OS, but with some customization from the manufacturer."

I've rooted several Android devices, so if I can help, I'd be more than glad to do what I can. My first was the original Motorola Droid 1 many years ago, the last being two recently purchased Amazon Fire 7 tablets (the $50 ones) - one running Fire OS 5.1.1, the other Fire OS 5.1.2 (which, "they say" also can't be rooted)... on the Fire Tabs, didn't even have to unlock the bootloader, and you only have to flash an alternative "recovery" if you plan to install a different OS, such as Cyanogenmod. Then I downloaded and installed SU (superuser, a command line interface) and busybox. I paid for Titanium Backup Pro -root version- many years ago, which has the ability to "freeze" apps (even "system" apps) so after I figured out how to load the Google Play Store app on the Fire tabs, I installed Titanium and "froze" the Amazon bloatware, so that crap doesn't load on boot-up, and the ads on the lockscreen are now gone. Installed my fav launcher, Apex, and they're good to go! They're also faster and more responsive.

Next, I plan to root my Fire TV stick, so I can load Kodi. :D

Well I get my old computer back today. They found a Trojan virus on there and got rid of that for me too. They ran abunch of scans and charged me a total of $150 cheaper then a new computer especially a 17.3" My new battery will be here today too from Amazon. So $200 for 5 years of use this one is pretty slow in a lot of places compared to mine. Even though it's old it has an I5 processor.

Pat, what operating system is on that computer, and how much memory (RAM, not storage*)?

An i5 cpu should be quite speedy, and with Win 7 and at least 4mb RAM, the PC at least has the potential be pretty zippy. RAM chips are relatively inexpensive these days, and easy to replace. The speed of the hard drive (RPM, data transfer rate, cache size) and how many programs load on boot-up also have a big effect on overall throughput of the computer. You can safely "turn off" much of the start-up junk, freeing up RAM for use by Windows. Printer drivers and other stuff that gets installed over time put a lot of useless junk in the start-up, dragging down the overall performance. Please let me know if I can help.

*I see a lot of people lately incorrectly referring to storage (aka hard drive or SSD) as "memory".

umanbean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2009
Georgia, USA
Last night we went to the Honors Program at my daughters' high school... she went up on the stage to get awards at least 7 times!... I lost count. Beta club, Key club, Cheerleader, Yearbook staff, Honor Roll, all A's all year, I can't even remember all the stuff she got! She's also a healthy, smart, kind, beautiful Redhead. I can't even believe I helped "beget" someone like that! ;)

(proud Papa, can ya tell?) :D

Well, my wife took off work today and I didn't schedule any service calls.

The HS graduation ceremony is Saturday morning, and we have a party planned for the afternoon. The party is at the semi-permanent campsite of the parents of Hannah's best friend, on Whitewater Creek - a very nice, shady spot w/ several campers set up, a couple of party sheds right on the creek, and a newly installed "ladies room" - complete with a flush toilet and a 55 gallon drum septic tank.

Today Mrs. Uman is making veggie & fruit trays, party decorations, banners, balloons, etc. I'm going to town to collect for a finished job, then to the Creek to mow, trim, set up my audio gear, and generally clean up and prepare. Then I'm off on a two hour drive to spend the night with Mom, and drive her up here in the morning by 10 am. to the graduation, then to party, then back to her home... whew!

I'm gonna be a busy bee for the next ~48 hrs.

Rotowoman

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2014
Louisiana
Last night I took myself out to a nice sit down dinner at Chilis. I was seated at a booth all to myself in a pretty quiet spot and was relaxing and watching a college baseball game at the same time.

About halfway through my dinner, a little family of six came in and were seated behind me. The kids were 5, 4, 3, and 2. They were typical kids and every once in a while one of the little one's voice would get a little loud, but Mama would just do "Shhhh", and it would quiet back down. Mom and Dad were talking to the children and using the menu as a learning experience. It was pretty entertaining and cute to listen to. My point being was that Mom and Dad had everything under control and there was no running, screaming, or anything of that nature. It was pretty doggone refreshing after what I've seen of other similar families eating out.

I wound up talking to the couple and the kids, and the Mom even gave me a fantastic recipe for Queso. I couldn't help but tell them how impressed I was at how they handled their young brood. It rather gave me some hope for future humanity.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Only thing I know about roots is, if the tree is really big, and they stick up outta the ground.....I'm certain to trip over them!! So this is the only part of that whole post I understood! hehehe But if ya figger that out, (and this rootin thing is legal) would ya know how to do that to a Roku 3 to get Kodi or is that even possible?

(proud Papa, can ya tell?) :D
And with good reason!!! The party sounds like so much fun.......lucky girl!! Be careful doin all that drivin!

I wound up talking to the couple and the kids, and the Mom even gave me a fantastic recipe for Queso. I couldn't help but tell them how impressed I was at how they handled their young brood. It rather gave me some hope for future humanity.
Sooooo nice to hear about folks actually teachin their kids well. Glad you had a nice time. However.......you know when you use the words fantastic and recipe together.......you have to share it! particularly when you add Queso to it!! lol

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Only thing I know about roots is, if the tree is really big, and they stick up outta the ground.....I'm certain to trip over them!! So this is the only part of that whole post I understood! hehehe But if ya figger that out, (and this rootin thing is legal) would ya know how to do that to a Roku 3 to get Kodi or is that even possible?...
Google is your friend. Repeat that 12 times.
Google

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Google is your friend. Repeat that 12 times.
Google
I know little to nothing about either of those, so wouldn't even think about it without someone knowing exactly what they were doing to advise. I do actually google quite a bit. Thanks though :)

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA

Yep, that scene didn't make the cut down here. :( So, you just started Season 4? Okay, that explains things a little... Season 4 ended last year for us... I'll stop there, don't wanna spoil nuttin' for ya. :)

gotchya, I thought your phone had been hacked. Toljya I didn't know nuttin bout dat stuff :)

Nope, basically, I WANT to hack my own phone... :lol:

Why root? Not much reason for it anymore. Most of the stuff you could do with rooting can be done without now.

Apparently not with this one. I can't seem to kill many of the applications that are draining the crap out of my battery. There's so much junk running in the background that I can barely get a day on a charge, even if the phone is idle the entire day... the only way I know to kill those apps is to root the phone.

I only took a quick look at the page Ken posted, but... why won't One Click Root work?
It says on that page "For the camera, the Hydro Air features a 5MP primary camera and a 2MP shooter on the front. The phone runs Android 5.1 Lollipop OS, but with some customization from the manufacturer."

I've rooted several Android devices, so if I can help, I'd be more than glad to do what I can. My first was the original Motorola Droid 1 many years ago, the last being two recently purchased Amazon Fire 7 tablets (the $50 ones) - one running Fire OS 5.1.1, the other Fire OS 5.1.2 (which, "they say" also can't be rooted)... on the Fire Tabs, didn't even have to unlock the bootloader, and you only have to flash an alternative "recovery" if you plan to install a different OS, such as Cyanogenmod. Then I downloaded and installed SU (superuser, a command line interface) and busybox. I paid for Titanium Backup Pro -root version- many years ago, which has the ability to "freeze" apps (even "system" apps) so after I figured out how to load the Google Play Store app on the Fire tabs, I installed Titanium and "froze" the Amazon bloatware, so that crap doesn't load on boot-up, and the ads on the lockscreen are now gone. Installed my fav launcher, Apex, and they're good to go! They're also faster and more responsive.

I don't know, I went to One Click Root and hit the drop down menu to select my Android version... the latest one in the list was KitKat 4.4.4... so, I assume that it won't work on 5.1.1

What I'm trying to accomplish is just uninstalling or freezing most of the junk apps. I might consider installing a new OS, but haven't decided on that yet. I do know that I can't find anywhere that has managed to unlock the bootloader on this phone. I've never rooted an Android before. I have played with Linux/Unix a little bit, took basic computer programming classes in college, been working with electronics (professionally) for 20+ years. So, I understand the premise... I just don't have any experience in this particular application. And I'm not finding a whole lot of help online. I'll keep digging. All I've found so far is that Kingo Root has temporarily worked for some users... *sighs*, this may not have been the best choice for a phone purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread