RDA RDA newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaverkt

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
NC USA
I'm new to RDAs and looking for a bit of advice. I've been vaping for a few years now. There was a time that vaping was both a way to quit smoking and a real hobby for me so I was always trying new things and keeping up with new hardware. Howver for the past 18 months - 2 years the hobby part has kind of taken a backseat. I have been using largely the same hardware and juices and mostly fallen out of the loop about new hardware. Recently I've had the urge to get back into the hobby side and start experimenting with new hardware and juices. Trying new juices again is what leads me to want an RDA. I'm mostly a tank paper but of course I don't want to fill a whole tank just to try a new juice. Back in the day I would've dripped on a 510 or 306 Atty for taste testing of course it seems these have all but gone away. So I am looking at getting my first RDA mostly for taste testing. It's main use would be for taste testing but would probably also use it for dripping at home and possibly for vape breaks at work. Now I'm not brand new to making coils. I've been semi regularly rebuilding the coils for my tanks for awhile now. There are so many RDAs that I'm not sure where to start. There are a few features that I'm pretty sure I want. I want some form of airflow control and a leak proof / leak resistant design. Also price is a consideration. I want a quality RDA but the same time this would be a new adventure for me so I don't want to break the bank just yet. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
How do you like to vape? Mouth to lung, lung hits, somewhere in between? It's hard to say, you can spend $100 on one of the fancy new drippers for cloud comps, or you can order 20 plus drippers from Fasttech and keep the ones you like then PIF the ones you don't!
So, budget? How do you vape? What are you expecting from it? How good are you at building, meaning a large deck or a small one?

cj081283

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2015
I agree with the above. It'd help to know a little more about your vaping style.

If you want something leak resistant though I'd be looking for something with top airflow though the only I've tried has been a Sapor. Pretty nice Atty with adjustable top airflow and the only way I got it to leak was by having it completely upside down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: gpjoe

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Agree that top airflow is the way to go for the best leak resistance. Of the attys I actually own and use, my authentic Vector vapes great - lots of vapor and good flavor - with no leaks. Picked it up for 15 bucks in a blowout sale and it can still be found for around $25-30. It's a three post RDA with top (adjustable) airflow. Downside is the drip tip is integrated into the top cap and cannot be replaced without a "comp cap" which I also picked up.

Still a solid authentic that won't "break the bank", even with the integrated drip tip.

As stated above - it looks like the Sapor meets all of your requirements, and is quite affordable, though I have not used one. Definitely worth consideration.

Beaverkt

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
NC USA
How do you like to vape? Mouth to lung, lung hits, somewhere in between? It's hard to say, you can spend $100 on one of the fancy new drippers for cloud comps, or you can order 20 plus drippers from Fasttech and keep the ones you like then PIF the ones you don't!
So, budget? How do you vape? What are you expecting from it? How good are you at building, meaning a large deck or a small one?
I would say probably somewhere in between a mouth to lung and direct lung hit. My current tanks would all be considered MTL but I tend to vape them in a direct lung hit by slipstreaming a bit. I would like to find an RDA that has enough airflow adjustability to do a bit of both. I don't need a large drip well because it's main use will be flavor testing, perhaps multiple flavors in relatively short order. I will probably also use for some more extended vaping sessions but I'm ok with dripping more frequently. At this time I have no interest in a multiple coil builds so all of my builds will be single coil. I believe I would be ok building on a smaller deck but I am interested in eventually trying some Clapton builds so I would want a deck big enough to allow enough room for a Clapton coil. I'm more interested in flavor than cloud chasing. As long as it makes vapor at least on par with an average MTL tank I will be satisfied. For budget I would like to keep it under $50. I am not against ordering a clone but would prefer not to order from fast tech (no patience for the slow boat from China). I'm very interested in a top airflow design to aid against leaking but other airflow designs would be ok if I could completely close the airflow to limit the leaking when it's not being used (like in a pocket). Thanks everyone for the advice so far. Looking forward to additional suggestions.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Have a look through here, RDA Vape|RDA Atomizer|Best Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer USA Sale I like the Velocity mini myself, but the Hobo V4 or Freakshow mini might be a place to start, they are cheap enough! Look up some of the reviews on youtube. Keep in mind the bigger the chamber the less flavor and more vapor. I have a K Loud clone, it's kind of a tank/dripper, I bought it because it was listed as a bottom feed, it's not. But it has a really small chamber and tight air flow for MTL and a mini tank that holds around 1.5ml of juice. Kinda neat in itself.
Make sure they have it in their US warehouse, and MAKE SURE you register, not check out as a GUEST!!!! The ship pretty quick that way, but the guest check out is super slow! Like I say, they are pretty cheap so you can get a few to see what you like. Or post up what you are thinking about and I'm sure others will provide input on them.

Mark Pregmon

Jun 1, 2016
I'm new to RDAs and looking for a bit of advice. I've been vaping for a few years now. There was a time that vaping was both a way to quit smoking and a real hobby for me so I was always trying new things and keeping up with new hardware. Howver for the past 18 months - 2 years the hobby part has kind of taken a backseat. I have been using largely the same hardware and juices and mostly fallen out of the loop about new hardware. Recently I've had the urge to get back into the hobby side and start experimenting with new hardware and juices. Trying new juices again is what leads me to want an RDA. I'm mostly a tank paper but of course I don't want to fill a whole tank just to try a new juice. Back in the day I would've dripped on a 510 or 306 Atty for taste testing of course it seems these have all but gone away. So I am looking at getting my first RDA mostly for taste testing. It's main use would be for taste testing but would probably also use it for dripping at home and possibly for vape breaks at work. Now I'm not brand new to making coils. I've been semi regularly rebuilding the coils for my tanks for awhile now. There are so many RDAs that I'm not sure where to start. There are a few features that I'm pretty sure I want. I want some form of airflow control and a leak proof / leak resistant design. Also price is a consideration. I want a quality RDA but the same time this would be a new adventure for me so I don't want to break the bank just yet. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
My friend if you don't mind using a "clone" I would suggest the Volicity. It has a great build deck adjustable air flow, you can drip without taking off the cap. Best of all not that expensive. I rock mine on my noisy cricket. Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread