Vaptio S150 ATC Kit Contest: looking for TC device testers—Part 2 Officially started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
First impressions!

The packaging is nice. Pretty standard box with sleeve. In the box, the mod is arranged a little differently than normal. The screen faces out , and the tank is next to it. Most times, the mod is sitting on its side, and the tank is underneath.

Underneath? Since the mod is set on its back so the screen faces out - poking through a foam insert - removing the mod and the foam allowed the tank to drop back into the box. Might want to put something under the tank so that it won't drop onto a floor. Also underneath is a box which houses a USB cable and a spare coil.

About those coils... Hmmm... The first one that was installed in the tank on arrival got primed and tucked into a filled tank. It was stiff to pull through, gurgled, and leaked. Not a great beginning. I pulled the spare coil out of the box and found that the center of the pin was missing. This is where the temp sensor would have gone. I do not know if that was intentional or an issue with quality control. I did not use this coil.

Instead, I opened one from the included pack. Thanks the Vaptio for that. Not only is it a generous thing to do, it's going to make it that much easier to give this device a fair shake.

The second coil, then, got primed and installed, and it's still a little stiffer on the draw than some other coils, but not bad. I've gone through a full tank with it.

The tank is easy to fill if you do it upside down. Not as easy to do through the fill port on top. The first tank - the one that leaked out through the bad coil - filled OK. I suspect since the vent hole on top is so small, part of the reason that the coil gurgled and leaked is do to the pressure created by the filling process. A larger fill hole and air port on top would make this go much better. Going the route that SMOK took with the TFV4 and giving a single large hole might work, too. I do really like the concept of the swing away fill port. I am not a huge fan of the twist off tops. I am always afraid I'll drop the top and it'll roll out of reach or that I'll lose an o-ring.

On to the mod...

Remember that these are first impressions...

I like that the mod immediately senses an ATC coil, and switches to the correct mode from any other mode. I like that it recognizes when a non ATC coil is installed. However, I have noticed that no matter what mode or coil is selected there are some standard settings applied. In the case of TC modes, that appears to be 200 F. In the case of Variable Wattage mode, that appears to be 75 watts. In my opinion, 75 Watts is way to high for a new coil. I dropped the batteries out to test the door, and when I put them back in, the mod reverted to 75 Watts instead of the last setting (ATC coil, 480 F), and I nearly friend another coil. Something around 30 watts would be better, in my opinion.

In wattage mode, it feels about right. I installed a .8 Ohm Clapton in a SMOK TFV4 Mini using the RBA deck, and set the mod to 50 Watts. It feels just like a 50 Watt hit off of a .8 Ohm Clapton coil should feel like. I have not run the mod up to 150 Watts. The 75 Watt blast off of a .4 Kanthal coil mentioned above was as hot and unexpected as would be expected.

I next installed a .4 Ti coil into a Kayfun V4, and tried the mod in Ti Mode. It's a bit odd, to be honest. It read the resistance right, but when I hit the fire button, it read out the resistance in real time. I read through the manual (again) looking for a way to lock the atomizer, but there was no help to be found there. However, when I picked up and topped the fire button again, the resistance returned to the baseline and began to climb again. The vape was about the same as what I was getting off of the iStick TC40W the Kayfun had been installed on previously.

I have a dual 316L SS build in my Charon tank RBA, so I thought I would try that next. I again turned to the manual to see what SS the device is tuned to. No answer. The website, however, does specify 316L. With the mod set to the same 480 F that I had been running this build on a SMOK Treebox, the vape was a bit tepid. I noted that the resistance reading was a bit off, so I removed the tank, allowed it to cool, fired the device without a tank to clear the recorded resistance, and reattached the tank. it now read the same .33 Ohms that it read on the other mod, and the vape was about the same.

I have not tried the mod with a Ni200 coil... hmmm...

For the mod alone, here are the positive notes, thus far...
  • The device does what it is supposed to do in temperature control and wattage modes.
  • The ATC coils work well when the coil is not damaged...
  • The screen is nice, bright, and easily readable
  • It's an attractive device
  • The menu is simple. It was very easy to learn
  • I do like that Vaptio is an American company even if the mod is made in China
All is not thumbs up and roses, though... Here are some cons...
  • The device goes to sleep, and requires a quick click of the fire button to wake up.
  • It takes a little bit of fiddling (fire the device with the tank removed to clear the resistance settings and check your settings every time a new atomizer is attached).
  • I think the temperature calibration in TI and SS might be a little low, but not overtly. As noted, I did not test the mod in Ni200 mode.
  • The menu is simple. It seems as though several options were omitted (no stealth, no flip, no atomizer lock).
I don't have near as many positives for the tank and coils. In fact, the only positive I can really come up with right now is that it looks nice with the mod. I suppose the top fill system might be a positive, but only when used with a very small filler tip.

Cons, then..
  • It is a concern when the first two coils encountered appear to be damaged and do not function correctly.
  • I do not like the auxiliary airflow built in to the top of the tank and would prefer it removed altogether or built in to the drip tip. As it stands, most other drip tips cannot be used with this tank.
  • Even wide open, the air - with the provided coils - is a bit tight.
Another reminder that these are first impressions. I'll be writing up a complete review and putting together a video in a week or so.

IF I had to give it a final grade right now, it would only get a B. However, a 150 Watt device with as many features as this has for $55 (the current sale price on Heaven Gifts) is kind of a no brainer... even if there are glitches...

Ramsay Bolton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2013
Beyond the Grave
  • The device goes to sleep, and requires a quick click of the fire button to wake up.
  • It takes a little bit of fiddling (fire the device with the tank removed to clear the resistance settings and check your settings every time a new atomizer is attached).
  • I think the temperature calibration in TI and SS might be a little low, but not overtly.
  • The menu is simple. It seems as though several options were omitted (no stealth, no flip, no atomizer lock).
  • I do not like the auxiliary airflow built in to the top of the tank and would prefer it removed altogether or built in to the drip tip. As it stands, most other drip tips cannot be used with this tank.

Nice to know that I'm not the only one who as encountered the same "drawbacks/glitches" and feels
the same about the airflow function in the drip tip.

As well, the front 4 corners of the face plate need to be rounded off unless you're fond of painful
jabs into the palms of your hands once in a while.

Last edited:

greasegizzard

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2015
Arkansas
First impressions!

The packaging is nice. Pretty standard box with sleeve. In the box, the mod is arranged a little differently than normal. The screen faces out , and the tank is next to it. Most times, the mod is sitting on its side, and the tank is underneath.

Underneath? Since the mod is set on its back so the screen faces out - poking through a foam insert - removing the mod and the foam allowed the tank to drop back into the box. Might want to put something under the tank so that it won't drop onto a floor. Also underneath is a box which houses a USB cable and a spare coil.

About those coils... Hmmm... The first one that was installed in the tank on arrival got primed and tucked into a filled tank. It was stiff to pull through, gurgled, and leaked. Not a great beginning. I pulled the spare coil out of the box and found that the center of the pin was missing. This is where the temp sensor would have gone. I do not know if that was intentional or an issue with quality control. I did not use this coil.

Instead, I opened one from the included pack. Thanks the Vaptio for that. Not only is it a generous thing to do, it's going to make it that much easier to give this device a fair shake.

The second coil, then, got primed and installed, and it's still a little stiffer on the draw than some other coils, but not bad. I've gone through a full tank with it.

The tank is easy to fill if you do it upside down. Not as easy to do through the fill port on top. The first tank - the one that leaked out through the bad coil - filled OK. I suspect since the vent hole on top is so small, part of the reason that the coil gurgled and leaked is do to the pressure created by the filling process. A larger fill hole and air port on top would make this go much better. Going the route that SMOK took with the TFV4 and giving a single large hole might work, too. I do really like the concept of the swing away fill port. I am not a huge fan of the twist off tops. I am always afraid I'll drop the top and it'll roll out of reach or that I'll lose an o-ring.

On to the mod...

I like that the mod immediately senses an ATC coil, and switches to the correct mode from any other mode. I like that it recognizes when a non ATC coil is installed. However, I have noticed that no matter what mode or coil is selected there are some standard settings applied. In the case of TC modes, that appears to be 200 F. In the case of Variable Wattage mode, that appears to be 75 watts. In my opinion, 75 Watts is way to high for a new coil. I dropped the batteries out to test the door, and when I put them back in, the mod reverted to 75 Watts instead of the last setting (ATC coil, 480 F), and I nearly friend another coil. Something around 30 watts would be better, in my opinion.

In wattage mode, it feels about right. I installed a .8 Ohm Clapton in a SMOK TFV4 Mini using the RBA deck, and set the mod to 50 Watts. It feels just like a 50 Watt hit off of a .8 Ohm Clapton coil should feel like. I have not run the mod up to 150 Watts. The 75 Watt blast off of a .4 Kanthal coil mentioned above was as hot and unexpected as would be expected.

I next installed a .4 Ti coil into a Kayfun V4, and tried the mod in Ti Mode. It's a bit odd, to be honest. It read the resistance right, but when I hit the fire button, it read out the resistance in real time. I read through the manual (again) looking for a way to lock the atomizer, but there was no help to be found there. However, when I picked up and topped the fire button again, the resistance returned to the baseline and began to climb again. The vape was about the same as what I was getting off of the iStick TC40W the Kayfun had been installed on previously.

I have a dual 316L SS build in my Charon tank RBA, so I thought I would try that next. I again turned to the manual to see what SS the device is tuned to. No answer. The website, however, does specify 316L. With the mod set to the same 480 F that I had been running this build on a SMOK Treebox, the vape was a bit tepid. I noted that the resistance reading was a bit off, so I removed the tank, allowed it to cool, fired the device without a tank to clear the recorded resistance, and reattached the tank. it now read the same .33 Ohms that it read on the other mod, and the vape was about the same.

• The device does what it is supposed to do in temperature control and wattage modes.
  • I think the temperature calibration in TI and SS might be a little low, but not overtly. As noted, I did not test the mod in Ni200 mode.
I don't have near as many positives for the tank and coils. In fact, the only positive I can really come up with right now is that it looks nice with the mod. I suppose the top fill system might be a positive, but only when used with a very small filler tip.

Cons, then..
  • It is a concern when the first two coils encountered appear to be damaged and do not function correctly.
Another reminder that these are first impressions. I'll be writing up a complete review and putting together a video in a week or so.

IF I had to give it a final grade right now, it would only get a B. However, a 150 Watt device with as many features as this has for $55 (the current sale price on Heaven Gifts) is kind of a no brainer... even if there are glitches...
I believe one of the included coils is a standard kanthal. One of mine had ATC printed on the side. The one with the missing pieces didn't have ATC printed on the side.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.

Last edited:

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Where the mod got a B, the Vapeonly Tenna Coiler is getting an A+. At first, I thought it might be to flimsy. When the shafts are the length for the cap, they are not flimsy at all. Then I thought that the shafts might be too short for positioning and adjusting the coils. They aren't. Because they telescope, they can be made ridiculously long and positioning the coils is a snap. Then I thought that it might not be possible to push the coil like I do with my screwdrivers. You can. The telescoping piece under is just large enough to push the coil into position with ease. Further, I love the way it screws together and stays compact. It's a solid little thing, too.

I'm gushing, I know, but I really like this thing.

The ONLY thing I can find remotely objectionable is the fact that the shafts are not standard... I'm used to 1, 1.5, 2, 2.4 (screwdriver), 2.5, 3, 3.5, and 4. The Tenna's measurements are a bit odd at 2, 2.5, 3.1, 3.7, and 4.4. However, that issue was easy to easy to work past.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Well mine arrived at 9:00am this morning and I when I opened the DHL bag, the contents looked like they had been crushed up against some heavier packages. The box for the s150 was crumpled along one side but none of the contents were damaged. Just made it difficult to get the sleeve and cover off the box.

I had a million things to do today so I took everything down to the shop with my morning coffee. I am going to point form a few things here and will do a better write up later. I don't do unboxings and didn't pay that close of attention to the presentation since my box was crumpled. I just wanted to get the contents out for a thorough inspection.

I played with it for an hour and will spend more time this weekend.

The S150 Mod:
  • I don't care for the hard 90 degree corners and sides on the front of the mod.
  • The battery door seems quite flimsy but I will examine it again later.
  • I have a screw on the bottom that has a rough section (you can feel), from cam out during assembly. Should be Torx screws instead of Tri Points.
  • The buttons have a good click and feel to them without any phantom presses.
  • Way too much bezel for such a little screen but that is just aesthetics and not an issue.
  • I did try an atty with an SS316L build but didn't get any acceptable results, between the New Coil popping up and the temperature setting itself to 200F I would say there are some firmware issues that need to be addressed and I noticed the 75W thing as well.
  • Power mode seemed to take a second or two to come up to the set power level.

These are just some things that I can remember from this morning.

The Tank:
  • I have not used any coil heads since the Nautilus Days (which I hated with a passion) and the sub ohm ones are a new experience for me.
  • The first thing I noticed about the tank was rough edges on the internal support sections, is it chrome plated brass?
  • I filled it the first time with a dropper and it filled easily.
  • Set the temperature to 450F and I was surprised on how well the ATC coil vaped, I was using a commercial MaxVG juice which wicked perfectly.
  • Vaped the tank down to half and ended up flooding the coil upon refill, this was user error.
  • Drained the remaining juice, washed out the tank base and blew the excess juice out of the coil head. When it was reassembled and filled with a different MaxVG juice, the coil didn't perform like the first time. I gave the juice plenty of time to saturate the coil, but the vape was just not the same. Watching the screen, it starts out with a good wattage for the 450F setting, but drops very quickly to less than 10W providing a weak vape. (I didn't try another coil head yet.)
  • Limited airflow and whistles with it wide open.
  • Drip tip airflow does nothing but kill flavor for me.
  • Some paint missing on the top cap where the drip tip goes, the Brass underneath is showing through.

That is all I have for the moment, more later. I had a quick look at the coiler but have not used it.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Ok did a little more testing with the S150 today regarding SS coils. I have found that any builds below ≈0.3Ω will give a very anemic vape with the power not climbing above 10W, I tested this with my SQuape X at 0.29Ω and the Russian 3.0 at 0.22Ω. When I put the Avocado 24 on it with a 0.48Ω SS316L build it actually worked much better and produced a somewhat tepid vape, to use Mr. Hoefer's term. ;)

I have confirmed that the Power mode does take 2 seconds to come up to full power which is not a major issue, sort of a Soft ramp up. I have got used to the fire delay on the Kanger 40W KBox but it was not as long. This will be pointed out as a flaw by those long winded reviewers if they ever get one to review.

The S150 should not even ask for New/Same coil in VW mode. If you choose down for Same coil the S150 will keep your old power setting, if you choose up for New coil it will reset to 75W. Same thing happens in TC mode with the temperature. New coil will reset the Temp to 200F and old will keep your previous selection.

I don't know how far you want us to keep reviewing these units as the reset to 75W in power mode is a serious and dangerous firmware flaw IMHO.

I am kind of half scared to try the USB charging on it, it will be done when the device can be monitored and watched closely.

These are the findings for today.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Ok did a little more testing with the S150 today regarding SS coils. I have found that any builds below ≈0.3Ω will give a very anemic vape with the power not climbing above 10W, I tested this with my SQuape X at 0.29Ω and the Russian 3.0 at 0.22Ω. When I put the Avocado 24 on it with a 0.48Ω SS316L build it actually worked much better and produced a somewhat tepid vape, to use Mr. Hoefer's term. ;)

I have confirmed that the Power mode does take 2 seconds to come up to full power which is not a major issue, sort of a Soft ramp up. I have got used to the fire delay on the Kanger 40W KBox but it was not as long. This will be pointed out as a flaw by those long winded reviewers if they ever get one to review.

The S150 should not even ask for New/Same coil in VW mode. If you choose down for Same coil the S150 will keep your old power setting, if you choose up for New coil it will reset to 75W. Same thing happens in TC mode with the temperature. New coil will reset the Temp to 200F and old will keep your previous selection.

I don't know how far you want us to keep reviewing these units as the reset to 75W in power mode is a serious and dangerous firmware flaw IMHO.

I am kind of half scared to try the USB charging on it, it will be done when the device can be monitored and watched closely.

The USB charging is ok. I pulled the batteries and checked them on my multimeter. They read 3.69 and 3.71, which for a series is normal. I plugged in the charger using a 2 amp wall wart. It read 40% and began charging. The charging was VERY fast, but not complete. When it stopped flashing and just displayed a solid bar, I pulled and checked the batteries again. They now read 4.09 and 4.10. Close enough for me to feel comfy with mt initial grade. It does appear to be a balanced charger. Of course, it is better to charge them externally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
The USB charging is ok. I pulled the batteries and checked them on my multimeter. They read 3.69 and 3.71, which for a series is normal. I plugged in the charger using a 2 amp wall wart. It read 40% and began charging. The charging was VERY fast, but not complete. When it stopped flashing and just displayed a solid bar, I pulled and checked the batteries again. They now read 4.09 and 4.10. Close enough for me to feel comfy with mt initial grade. It does appear to be a balanced charger. Of course, it is better to charge them externally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Thanks! I will give it a try then.

Ramsay Bolton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2013
Beyond the Grave

USB charging fine here and exceptionally quick with a 2a wall charger.

Batteries slightly undercharged as per Shawn.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
1. Tag/recommend 1 forum member you know who uses TC device or has quite a few TC knowledge.
tagging @USMCotaku ...even though he's a jarhead he seems to have extensive TC knowledge.:p
just saw this :p
gotta keep something in the jar..might as well be TC gear :D

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Well, I've had the device for 2 days now, the first day I used the ATC coil solely, honestly, maybe it's because I only have max VG but flavor seems kind of muted but definitely not completely, also the airflow is way to restrictive for my preference even with both the drip tip and tank airflow open, decided to close off the airflow and try a MTL hit and it was actually pretty decent if that's your thing. I'll give it this though, that is the easiest TC system I've encountered, coil gets automatically detected and it switches to ATC mode and you just have to pick your temperature.

The second day (Today) I put my velocity on top of it, with dual coil twisted 26g SS316L, I have been using it in both TC and VW modes. My ohm reader reads the coil as .23 (coilmaster 521). the device reads the coil at .2 cold and .21 warm. The temperature coefficient for SS is a bit off, generally I have to turn it 30F higher than all my other devices to get the vape I like.. Ramp up time is lagging a bit, I'd really like the ability to adjust this like the koopor plus has, soft normal hard etc.. Once the temp is adjusted it does fire SS fairly decently in both wattage and temp...

There seems to be some sort of sleep mode, If I don't use the mod for a while and click the button once it wont fire, I have to hit it twice, once to wake it up and another time to fire it, this is a major nuisance, If I hit the button I expect it to fire no exceptions, if it is some sort of feature it needs removed...

I'm not one to use onboard chargers, my xtar normally charges all my bats however I decided to give it a try since it supports 2A charging, I charged it to 100% and both batteries (Married) read the same voltage, I actually feel pretty comfortable using the onboard charger...

It is actually pretty comfortable in the hand, the device seems very light but not cheap, the front where the buttons are is a complete fingerprint magnet, I really wish a rubber was included....

That's all for now, will post more as I experience it :)

AlmightyEvan

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2016
Shanghai, China
www.heavengifts.com
First impressions!

On to the mod...

Cons, then..

Oh my, I definitely bring this to vaptio!!

AlmightyEvan

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2016
Shanghai, China
www.heavengifts.com

I can tell the reset to 75w is really a issue. It could burn your new coil if you accidently push the fire button. Recorded!

AlmightyEvan

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2016
Shanghai, China
www.heavengifts.com
Well, I've had the device for 2 days now, the first day I used the ATC coil solely, honestly, maybe it's because I only have max VG but flavor seems kind of muted but definitely not completely, also the airflow is way to restrictive for my preference even with both the drip tip and tank airflow open, decided to close off the airflow and try a MTL hit and it was actually pretty decent if that's your thing. I'll give it this though, that is the easiest TC system I've encountered, coil gets automatically detected and it switches to ATC mode and you just have to pick your temperature.

The second day (Today) I put my velocity on top of it, with dual coil twisted 26g SS316L, I have been using it in both TC and VW modes. My ohm reader reads the coil as .23 (coilmaster 521). the device reads the coil at .2 cold and .21 warm. The temperature coefficient for SS is a bit off, generally I have to turn it 30F higher than all my other devices to get the vape I like.. Ramp up time is lagging a bit, I'd really like the ability to adjust this like the koopor plus has, soft normal hard etc.. Once the temp is adjusted it does fire SS fairly decently in both wattage and temp...

There seems to be some sort of sleep mode, If I don't use the mod for a while and click the button once it wont fire, I have to hit it twice, once to wake it up and another time to fire it, this is a major nuisance, If I hit the button I expect it to fire no exceptions, if it is some sort of feature it needs removed...

I'm not one to use onboard chargers, my xtar normally charges all my bats however I decided to give it a try since it supports 2A charging, I charged it to 100% and both batteries (Married) read the same voltage, I actually feel pretty comfortable using the onboard charger...

It is actually pretty comfortable in the hand, the device seems very light but not cheap, the front where the buttons are is a complete fingerprint magnet, I really wish a rubber was included....

That's all for now, will post more as I experience it :)

do we really need a skin for this device?

Ramsay Bolton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2013
Beyond the Grave
I can tell the reset to 75w is really a issue. It could burn your new coil if you accidently push the fire button. Recorded!

Scrolling is a little slow when you make adjustments, so it takes a while
to go from 75w to 20w for example. ZZZZzzzzz :tumble:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread