Geek Vape Avocado 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Is there any fix for the super loose AFC control other than washing it? That only lasts for a little bit before it gets juice in there and spins freely again.

Wicking this thing is a pig, any tips or pictures with single coil, how much are you thinning the tails?

I got rid of the Theroem because of broken glass tanks and the inability to fill it easily, I should have picked up a Limitless instead of the 24.

Thanks!

Asked in the other thread as well...

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
You can't wick this thing wrong. Put cotton in the coils, push the tails into the tank and vape it.
Agree, got it today and am not a builder. First coil wrap was okay at 0.4 ohm, took 2 tries on the wicking though. I'm leaning more towards the way RIP wicked his with the material just touching the deck around the wick holes. Quite whispy tails.
I'm new and don't know much though so do what you will.
Cheers.

edit. it wasn't rips tutorial must have been someone else, watched a boat load and can't find it now. oops.

Last edited:

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
As with any tank, you have to use the right wicking amount and method; however, IMO the Avocado can be very forgiving. My very first attempt at wicking my first Avo (Avo 22) went without a hitch; however, I have toyed around with the methods since then, in both my 22 and 24 versions. Yes, it is possible to use too much wick and cut off the capillary action, but it's so easy to fix this issue; simply thin out the tails or use less wick. In addition, using something thin, such an allen key, to poke little holes into each of the wick/JF holes will help create a gap for air to travel into the tank as you vape the juice away. Furthermore, I've also tried sitting the wick on the deck, just as one would do in an RDA, i.e., don't push any wick down the JF hole, and it works as well; however, you'll find yourself tilting and turning the atie upside down a lot. By doing it this way you can have fun watching 'em air bubbles, but there are much better things to do.

Keep calm and vape on.

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
I have a 22 and it works great, I am expecting the same experience with more capacity, is that about right?
Yes, in theory. I have not made a true comparision yet, i.e., tested side by side with the same build and juice. The overall deck and chimney area is slightly larger in the 24mm version, which I believe affects the warmth of the vape. Of course one could compensate by using bigger builds and increasing the wattage; the larger deck will accommodate for it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

GunMonkeyINTL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2014
NC
Are you guys that are having wicking problems running at high-wattage/high juice consumption?

I got two in the mail the other day, immediately built them up, and am having nothing but a great experience with them.

I built them with my standard 0.8 ohm single-coil w/ 1/8" ID (3.1mm), and stuffed wicking down both holes, to the bottom of the tank. I didn't make any special effort to create air-flow relief, and I'm not having any problem with the wick keeping up with the coil. I'm running them at 20-25w.

Flavor and vapor production is comparable to what I get in any decent RDA with this same build.

In fact, this thing might just be my perfect atty. I'm an RDA guy, but have to settle for tanks sometimes just to have a little juice capacity.

The Haze was nice, but just seems to constantly seep juice (probably recondensed). I thought the Theorem was going to be the ticket, until I found out how fragile the tanks were. The Avocado seems to do what the other two do right, without the drawbacks they have.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrollDragon

GunMonkeyINTL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2014
NC
So, I think that is what is happening.

I just cranked one to 50w (the highest regulated device I have), and chain-vaped it like a mo-fo, and I did start to out-run the wick.

It took about 15 hard, fast pulls at 50w, and flavor started to drop off. I figured a dry-hit was coming, so I pulled the cap, and the wick was starting to dry. But, in the 10 seconds or so that I had the cap off, I watched the wick above the deck resaturate.

I would never vape like that normally, so it's a non-issue to me, but, then again, I didn't do anything in my build to consciously try to help it wick better, so I'm sure more efficient wicking could be achieved.

Obviously, there is no one perfect atty for everyone, but this may be mine.

I'm going to give it a couple weeks and see if any issues crop up (still got two unopened Theroems that I bought before I realized the tank-durability issue), and if nothing comes up, I think I'll buy a half dozen or so for my vapocolypse stash.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I'm going to give it a couple weeks and see if any issues crop up (still got two unopened Theroems that I bought before I realized the tank-durability issue), and if nothing comes up, I think I'll buy a half dozen or so for my vapocolypse stash.
Replace the green Gummy Bear o-rings on the Theorem's base with Kayfun Lite tank o-rings (19x17x1mm) and you will not crack another tank getting it off or on again. Perfect fit and tension.

I ran the Theorem at 60W with a Fused Clapton, MaxVg juice and never had any sort of wicking problem at all. I have to run the 24 in TC mode with a 24g 316L coil so I don't get dry hits. Coil is loaded up with Rayon till it squeaks, left 80% of the wick tail above the deck and the other 20% going down the holes. Two vent holes (1.5mm) made in the wick going through the deck to prevent vacuum lock and allow airflow into the tank.

I am baffled, as soon as my Merlin's arrive the 24 will be all cleaned up and put back in it's box. Really too bad as I had high expectations for this RTA. Once I encountered the extremely loose AFC control when it gets wet from vaping and the annoying airflow whistle, I knew its days were numbered.

Reactions: GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2014
NC
That's really strange, I don't get any airflow whistle, and my airflow cap seems to hold perfect tension. I'm now on my second wick in one of them, and I haven't had to make any special concession on wicking- just stuff it all down the hole with a tiny screwdriver, and it's fairly tight in the flow holes.

I will try the smaller o-rings on the Theorem, but I'm not confident that will fix it. I've found that, when installing the tank, it goes on really easy, and, if removed right away, comes off equally as easy. Let it sit on there for any amount of time, though, and it becomes much tougher to remove.

The top cap is the same way. If I remove it within 30 seconds, there's almost no tension at all. If I leave it on for a while, I have to grip the cap with two fingernails and really tug to get it off.

Maybe it is the o-ring composition....

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
That's really strange, I don't get any airflow whistle, and my airflow cap seems to hold perfect tension. I'm now on my second wick in one of them, and I haven't had to make any special concession on wicking- just stuff it all down the hole with a tiny screwdriver, and it's fairly tight in the flow holes.

I will try the smaller o-rings on the Theorem, but I'm not confident that will fix it. I've found that, when installing the tank, it goes on really easy, and, if removed right away, comes off equally as easy. Let it sit on there for any amount of time, though, and it becomes much tougher to remove.

The top cap is the same way. If I remove it within 30 seconds, there's almost no tension at all. If I leave it on for a while, I have to grip the cap with two fingernails and really tug to get it off.

Maybe it is the o-ring composition....
The green o-rings are really soft and don't give after they sit for a bit. The top cap on my authentic Royal Hunter was really loose until I put the Theorem's o-rings on its base (same size) and now I need to struggle to get the sleeve off of it. This is good by me as it was too loose before.

I think single coil placement has a lot to do with the whistle, it only does it when wide open with the cyclops slot. I might try a dual coil build in it before it goes away, just for S&G's.

Reactions: GunMonkeyINTL

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I built a dual 24g 3mm 8 wrap 316L coils in the 24, wicked with Rayon and the tails trimmed to 50%. This time I removed the tank and made sure the wick went through the deck holes without any twist. Trimmed the tails to be just above the base and fluffed them all out. I will trim them up shorter but this was just a test. I filled the tank, primed the coils and let it all sit for a few minutes. The dual build is 0.2 ohms, put it on the Cuboid, set power mode to 50W and proceeded to vape.

It's Vaping like a champ! :banana: :vapor: :banana:

I basically chain vaped that tank dry, it didn't take long. I have the airflow open to3/4 on both sides and not a dry hit to be found. Plenty of vapor and flavor with no whistle. I must of had the wick twisted when going through the deck in my previous attempts. A five second pull and the wick is just starting to show dry around the edge but the core is still wet. :thumbs:

Thanks for all your help guys! I knew this had to be a wicking issue. I was just too thick to see it. The whistle is gone as well, probably the single coil position and that ceramic block causing that.

The AFC is still loose, but I can overlook that as long as the 24 vapes nicely!
:toast:

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Glad to hear Troll.

The AFC is extremely tight in my Avo 22 (almost difficult to adjust and so I've left it fully open in single coil mode) and a little loose in my Avo 24 (it doesn't freely move by itself and so I don't mind). Regrettably it's just another one of those things we usually encounter with cheaper atties. Before the Avo, came the Griff and there were some who had difficulties with it's press fitted compartments.

MadVLN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2016
Central WA State
just got my Avocardo24 yesterday. i like it so far. i don't love it yet. flavor was a bit strange at first. not sure if it was because i did single coil, or if something was on the cotton i used. but i know what my juice should taste like and it didn't taste right through the first tank. then i went to a dual coil and it started to taste better. i know my wicking is good as i got no dry hits or anything.

other than that, i'm really liking it. it's well made/designed and i like the size profile of it a little better than my Limitless RDTA. i also like the drip tip options i have with the Avocado vs the Limitless. but i think so far, i'm liking my Limitless a little better as far as overall vape. but they are pretty close

jz6KnELl.jpg

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
just got my Avocardo24 yesterday. i like it so far. i don't love it yet. flavor was a bit strange at first. not sure if it was because i did single coil, or if something was on the cotton i used. but i know what my juice should taste like and it didn't taste right through the first tank. then i went to a dual coil and it started to taste better. i know my wicking is good as i got no dry hits or anything.

other than that, i'm really liking it. it's well made/designed and i like the size profile of it a little better than my Limitless RDTA. i also like the drip tip options i have with the Avocado vs the Limitless. but i think so far, i'm liking my Limitless a little better as far as overall vape. but they are pretty close

jz6KnELl.jpg
That matches my set up, except for the DT :)

On which aspects do you consider the Limitless a little better than the Avo 24? Build (coils placement and wicking), flavour or air slots? I'd imagine since it is not as short and chubby as the Avo (short profiled) and with wider air slots you'd be able to vape in higher watts.

I recently rewicked both of my Avos and ran the tails to the tank's base. I appreciate not having to faff around with the gennie tilt as often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread