Not open for further replies.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I just received my first 3 liters of 10% nic. I was a bit nervous pouring the 3, one liter jugs into 24, 4 ounce amber boston round bottles. I wore latex gloves and performed all the dividing up in the upstairs bathroom sink, with the exhaust fan on. Luckily there were no mishaps. I'll label and wrap each bottle in foil tonight and put them in the freezer in the garage. We had just bought a new fridge this year and have decided to re-purpose the old one for nic storage. I also made and kept aside about 60ml, diluted to ~ 20mg/ml, 80/20% PG/VG mix. I'll start playing around with the few dozens flavorings I just bought to see if I can come up with some palatable solutions, literally and figuratively speaking. I would have been quite happy buying premixed as I have for years, but we are going to have to do what we have to do.

Congrats on a step towards independence :thumb:

BTW, 10%/100 mg/ml nic is not the devil some make it out to be. Yes, it needs to be treated with caution and you want to keep it out of the reach of children or pets most importantly. I wouldn't recommend bathing in it but you aren't going to die from incidental contact and the fumes aren't going to kill you. Higher percentages, which aren't to be discussed here and are not as easily available, are a different story. Like many things, there's no need to fear it, just respect it.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I just received my first 3 liters of 10% nic. I was a bit nervous pouring the 3, one liter jugs into 24, 4 ounce amber boston round bottles. I wore latex gloves and performed all the dividing up in the upstairs bathroom sink, with the exhaust fan on. Luckily there were no mishaps. I'll label and wrap each bottle in foil tonight and put them in the freezer in the garage. We had just bought a new fridge this year and have decided to re-purpose the old one for nic storage. I also made and kept aside about 60ml, diluted to ~ 20mg/ml, 80/20% PG/VG mix. I'll start playing around with the few dozens flavorings I just bought to see if I can come up with some palatable solutions, literally and figuratively speaking. I would have been quite happy buying premixed as I have for years, but we are going to have to do what we have to do.

I'm about to do the same by purchasing a gallon o 100 mg nic solution next month (so it's on the next CC bill), along with 100 x 50ml amber glass bottles for cold storage. I look at it like a fairly inexpensive insurance policy for the long term as it will last me about 20 years from the time I crack open the first 50ml bottle to the last. It's about a $500 investment for the initial supplies, but amortized over 20 years, it works out to ~$25 / year, which is well worth it to me.

I'll keep buying pre-mixed liquids from my favorite vendor until that's no longer an option (due to them going out of business, or prices go up from regs or taxes). If all goes well, then I'll have a huge supply that I can use to experiment with flavors as a hobby, rather than a necessity. Hoping and working for the best, but preparing for the worst.

LMP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SLC Utah
There are pesticides that contain a lot more nicotine then your nicotine solution and all the label says is after using it wash your hands. I have been using the same nicotine solution strength as you for 6 years without a problem. The thing I am most careful about is keeping other people away from it, but I am 56, live alone and my children have grown up and moved out so no problem there. What you need to be careful with is not being so afraid of using it that you spill it all over the place.

Vaprnoob

Feb 11, 2016
California
There is no need to speculate on what will happen in the future. The FDA is run/headed by lobbyists or pharma people. All you need to know is, how would a lobbyist regulate this stuff? Of course they will do everything to screw the little guy in favor of big corporations. They won't want us to make our own juice for $3 or less/30ml. We will have to buy it for retail from whichever corporations put money in the right pockets. Too bad nic has a shelf life, I don't use enough to stock up more than I already have.

This is what we get, we are allowing this corruption by ignorance and inactivity. Mr. Hope And Change Obama made the same exact types of political appointments that everyone else has. Check it out, most of the regulatory agencies are run by the very industries they are supposed to regulate. This is why we have the tech to explore other planets but people are still getting sick or dying from eating a salad.

/end rant

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Too bad nic has a shelf life
Does it?

Properly stored in glass bottles in the freezer, it has empirically been shown to be least 6 years with NO signs of degradation. Usable shelf-life when properly stored is likely to be decades, if not indefinite.

LMP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SLC Utah
Does it?

Properly stored in glass bottles in the freezer, it has empirically been shown to be least 6 years with NO signs of degradation. Usable shelf-life when properly stored is likely to be decades, if not indefinite.
What about refrigerating it rather than freezing it, does that work?

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The colder the better.
Yep. I actually contemplated a 2-stage "cryo" freezer, but didn't like the prices at all, and given the real-world feeback from people who kept pulling nic out of a normal freezer after an ever-increasing period of years, I decided it wasn't worth it.

I do keep my dedicated little 2.1 cubic foot nic freezer's thermostat at its lowest setting. I haven't measured just how cold that is, but maybe I'll spring $7 for a freezer thermometer.

Reactions: LaraC and DC2

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
What about refrigerating it rather than freezing it, does that work?

The average refrigerator temperature is about 40 degrees F. Dedicated chest-type (or top-loader) freezers will stay 50 or more degrees lower. And they're cheap: take a look at those offered on amazon.com.

Sure, keeping nic base in the 'fridge will keep it cooler than than room temperature by maybe 30 degrees. But why not be safe and keep your nic base 80 degrees colder than room temperature or more?

Besides, with a dedicated nic freezer with a lock on it, you don't have a problem with inadvertently poisoning other members of the family, especially children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread