Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
I wonder if it is even necessary for an extract to sit by itself a week B4 being mixed. Would the result be any different whether it sits by itself or in suspension?
I don't notice a difference. I do notice a huge difference after mixing and letting it age for 48 hours though.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
If I may, I would like to give a mention for a few I've tried recently.
Cornell & Diehl ; Briar Fox is a super sweet cake, Havana Daydream has a cigar wrapper leaf added to the mix that is reminiscent of "Phillies" brand cigars as it vapes, and Oriental Silk #414 is an interesting vape where Virginia and Turkish tobaccos are blended, then Perique is added rather than Latakia.
Home & Hearth Signature ; Virginia Spice is an interesting twist on VaPer blends as a bit of Maduro Cigar leaf is added. Smooth and Tasty.
Scotty's Bulk Blends ; Honey & Chocolate is a flavored aromatic that is quite tasty. Side by side, this one made Molto Dolce seem pale by comparison.
I should not that I am not a fan of "In Your Face" tobacco flavored vapes. I prefer the smooth yet flavorful blends, a little bit of sweetness doesn't hurt. I tend to stay closer to Virginia- based blends for that reason. If you are a huge fan of Latakia blends, I doubt we would agree. But, to each their own....

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I extracted five different cigars this past month, Rocky Patel's "The Edge", Tatiana "Sweet Euphoria", Tatiana "Vanilla", ACID "Opulence 3" and an ACID "Kuba Kuba". I used a modified hot ethanol extraction method, 100 hours @ 125F followed by a six day room temperature soak. All were freeze filtered and reduced 80% before final filtering at 1 micron.

I've extracted the Tatiana "Vanilla" before (different extraction method) and -really- liked it but this extraction has a strong floral/perfume taste that I'm hoping diminishes with age. The tobacco side of the flavor tastes like a strong Rocky Patel, if the vanilla nuance settles down with aging it may become a "great" NET.

Rocky Patel's "The Edge" is a pleasant cigar extract but not as good as a "Vintage 1990" in my opinion. I'll revisit this one after a few months aging.

Tatiana "Sweet Euphoria" is pretty non-descript so far, nothing to write home about.

ACID "Kuba Kuba" is actually pretty good, but not very complex for a cigar NET. This one may have potential after it ages but only time will tell.

ACID "Opulence 3" tastes something like an ACID "Blondie" but the acid infusion flavor nuance is less pronounced. It has potential so I'll see what aging does for it but the "Blondie" is still my favorite from the ACID line.

Next up are four -new- pipe tobacco's, Tsuge Ryujin, Sutliff Balkan 2, Turkish ribbon and Kendal Dark. I'm also extracting large batches of Sutliff "VooDoo Queen", Dunhill "Nightcap" and ACID "Blondie" but those are some of my regulars, just restocking.

kbriggs

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
www.briggsoft.com
I used a modified hot ethanol extraction method, 100 hours @ 125F followed by a six day room temperature soak.

I noticed that you've been gradually lowering the temperature and extending the time. I was wondering if you've ever tried a purely no heat, room temperature PGA extraction over a 2+ week period with freeze filtering at the end?

Reactions: Str8vision

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I noticed that you've been gradually lowering the temperature and extending the time. I was wondering if you've ever tried a purely no heat, room temperature PGA extraction over a 2+ week period with freeze filtering at the end?

One thing I've learned is that excessive heat can adversely impact flavor so I strive to reduce processing temperatures whenever possible. Flavor is my #1 priority followed by performance (cleanliness) so I'm constantly seeking the optimum balance between temperature and duration, I "experiment" quite a bit. Long ago I played around with room temperature extractions using PGA (ethanol) as the solvent. If I remember correctly 10 days was the longest cold soak I was able to perform because the undesirable gunk pulled from the tobacco during extraction was excessive beyond that length of time, the extract would have a plant like chlorophyll taste and was hard on wicks and coils. I never achieved the full "range" of flavor I desired using short duration room temperature ethanol soaks -but- that was back before I discovered the wonders of "freeze filtering". With the advent of precipitating out the undesirable gunk (freeze filtering) -much- longer cold soaks would be possible but I haven't performed any. I'd be interested to see what kind of flavor a 30 day room temperature ethanol extraction would yield. An interesting experiment! :)

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
This from Pipes and Cigars:

Russ spends a lot of his time blending tobaccos. He is always working on new blends and concepts. When he released the first Monthly blends, sales took off and everyone was waiting for the next blend, so Russ went back to the laboratory and created something new. For the last few years his monthly blends have become P&C favorites. But sadly, due to some new regulations that are coming, his monthly blends are going away. If you smoke these blends on a regular basis or have wanted to try a few, now's the time.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I'm afraid Russ's Blends aren't the only pipe tobaccos that may disappear because of the FDA's deeming regulations. Many people on ECF are aware of the FDA's impacts on vaping but few realize that cigars and pipe tobacco are also included in these rules. Problem is finding the release dates for my favorite blends/cigars so I can stock up on those that may be at risk. Those released post 2007 could become a problem although I'm not sure if the regulatory "hoops" they'd need to jump through are as difficult as what vaping faces because there were many "substantially equivalent" items available long before then. I don't think it would be as difficult or expensive for the tobaccos to comply but that doesn't mean they will, just like Russ they may choose to close shop instead.

During the past two months I've noticed several Sutliff blends have becoming increasingly difficult to purchase, always on backorder. One of my favorite blends for extraction is their "Voodoo Queen", I certainly hope it isn't on its way out. When Smoker's stopped producing their version of "St James" (one of my old favorites for extraction) I was caught off guard, didn't have any on hand and couldn't purchase more from -any- source. If I knew beforehand that a favorite tobacco was going to disappear I'd stockpile a quantity, but it seems most manufacturers are tight lipped about their "real" long range plans, just like many e-liquid vendors. This makes long term planning rather difficult. At least Russ gave people ample notice giving them an opportunity to stockpile one or more of his custom blends....

EDIT: I e-mailed several tobacco manufacturers (of my favorite blends/cigars) this morning and specifically asked if the FDA deeming was going to cause any of their line to be pulled from U.S. markets. I doubt they'll give me a straight answer but thought I'd ask anyway. I'll share any responses I receive.

Last edited:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I'm afraid Russ's Blends aren't the only pipe tobaccos that may disappear because of the FDA's deeming regulations. Many people on ECF are aware of the FDA's impacts on vaping but few realize that cigars and pipe tobacco are also included in these rules. Problem is finding the release dates for my favorite blends/cigars so I can stock up on those that may be at risk. Those released post 2007 could become a problem although I'm not sure if the regulatory "hoops" they'd need to jump through are as difficult as what vaping faces because there were many "substantially equivalent" items available long before then. I don't think it would be as difficult or expensive for the tobaccos to comply but that doesn't mean they will, just like Russ they may choose to close shop instead.

During the past two months I've noticed several Sutliff blends have becoming increasingly difficult to purchase, always on backorder. One of my favorite blends for extraction is their "Voodoo Queen", I certainly hope it isn't on its way out. When Smoker's stopped producing their version of "St James" (one of my old favorites for extraction) I was caught off guard, didn't have any on hand and couldn't purchase more from -any- source. If I knew beforehand that a favorite tobacco was going to disappear I'd stockpile a quantity, but it seems most manufacturers are tight lipped about their "real" long range plans, just like many e-liquid vendors. This makes long term planning rather difficult. At least Russ gave people ample notice giving them an opportunity to stockpile one or more of his custom blends....

EDIT: I e-mailed several tobacco manufacturers (of my favorite blends/cigars) this morning and specifically asked if the FDA deeming was going to cause any of their line to be pulled from U.S. markets. I doubt they'll give me a straight answer but thought I'd ask anyway. I'll share any responses I receive.

Like the late Glenn Frey sang, "The Heat Is On."

Reactions: Str8vision

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
"MyVapeJuice.com will be closing its doors August 19th

Steal Deals - Most of them are 5.99 and are really great deals on things like bottles, extracts...well you kinda have to check them out as they are changing all the time.

MVJ Bulk Bottle buys - OK if you want to talk about savings this is the place to go. These are 16oz 480ml bottles of my extracts. That works out to be 16 cents a ml. Based on mixing at 20%( which I mix my nets at) that would make 2400mls of juice. I also know the bottle holds more than 480mls so it will make more than that.

Capella & The Flavor Apprentice flavors - These are also listed at a great price. They are currently 30% off ( like everything listed in the store) but that is off my wholesale cost. You won't do better than that. You can find them in the Steals & Deals section or by clicking the link above.

CURRENT DISCOUNT CODES

• TENMORE =10% ADDITIONAL DISCOUNT ON MVJ DIY EXTRACTS **excludes bulk bottle buys
  • GOODBUY=15% ADDITIONAL DISCOUNT ON ORDERS OF 300.00 OR MORE"

kbriggs

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
www.briggsoft.com
Leafonly is the only vendor I've used for "whole leaf" tobacco so can't recommend an alternative, perhaps someone else will chime in.

wholeleaftobacco.com is another one but I think 1 pound is their minimum quantity so I've never used them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread