Status
Not open for further replies.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Seems that Evolv is releasing a dna 60 board. Same size as the dna 40 (with a couple of minor issues, as described in the link below) but able to use Escribe. Looking forward to seeing what modders can come up with using this!

DNA 60 - Evolv DNA Forum

Text of the post above:

Posted by Brandon on the Evolv Forum:
Evolv is proud to announce our new dna 60 board. It is a DNA 40 sized board with the added functionality of EScribe. The boards are available now in extremely limited quantities to enable our customers to have products on the market before the FDA August 8th deadline. Because of component lead times, volume availability is not expected until October of 2016. As a result customers will be limited to 1 board per device that they plan to release plus one board as a spare.

Attached is a solid model of the board. It is largely the same dimensions as the DNA 40 with the following exceptions.

-The inductor on the back of the board is 4mm high like the DNA 20 & 30 not 3.5mm like the DNA 40.

-The fire button is the green fire button from the DNA 75 & 200 not the 3.1mm tall button from the DNA 40.

-The adjust buttons are new, taller and clickier than the previous buttons but still waterproof.

- The board has 5 through holes on the bottom for data and charger. Our 1 amp charger has been updated to include USB data pins.

Individual quantity pricing is as follows:

$59.99 with charger
$49.99 without

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
I think this is pretty great. I already have plans on putting one into my Hana V4 Dual. Not sure about any issues other than needing their new 1amp remote charger to use Escribe. Will be a couple extra wires to build but will take up the same space from the looks of it. The board will be the same size of the 20/30 in dimensions as the 40 had some shorter parts but should not hurt anything I do not think.

Heck I have a Hana V4 Single that would be a good fit for one of these too. Escribe is pretty nice to have IMO I have used it allot and the option to tweak my vape for what I like is really addicting. My two Dna200's I actually use TC. The vape quality is just as good as what I am getting from kanthal when using 316L SS and ni200. It was surprising results for me and I think they got it right this time. The Dna40 works with ni200 but the vape is sort of anemic.

Going to try and get one here on the first run if I can.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Seems that Evolv is releasing a DNA 60 board. Same size as the DNA 40 (with a couple of minor issues, as described in the link below) but able to use Escribe. Looking forward to seeing what modders can come up with using this!

DNA 60 - Evolv DNA Forum

Text of the post above:

Posted by Brandon on the Evolv Forum:
Evolv is proud to announce our new DNA 60 board. It is a DNA 40 sized board with the added functionality of EScribe. The boards are available now in extremely limited quantities to enable our customers to have products on the market before the FDA August 8th deadline. Because of component lead times, volume availability is not expected until October of 2016. As a result customers will be limited to 1 board per device that they plan to release plus one board as a spare.

Attached is a solid model of the board. It is largely the same dimensions as the DNA 40 with the following exceptions.

-The inductor on the back of the board is 4mm high like the DNA 20 & 30 not 3.5mm like the DNA 40.

-The fire button is the green fire button from the DNA 75 & 200 not the 3.1mm tall button from the DNA 40.

-The adjust buttons are new, taller and clickier than the previous buttons but still waterproof.

- The board has 5 through holes on the bottom for data and charger. Our 1 amp charger has been updated to include USB data pins.

Individual quantity pricing is as follows:

$59.99 with charger
$49.99 without
They aren't listing the DNA60 on their site. Know where I might find one for sale?

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
To retrofit old DNA40 mods perhaps? Is it a straight fit?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
kinda sorta a direct fit. from the info i've seen, no mounting rails. a larger inductor on the back (makes it .5mm thicker than the 40), taller fire button and up & down buttons as well. all this not a problem if you're retrofitting a vapor flask or hana large screen. could be a problem with the VS dna 40 (built in battery). they are using evolv's up & down buttons but use an external fire button.

Reactions: KenD

dataton

May 10, 2011
Rhode Island
Not sure if this question can be answered, but does this mean the 08/08 freeze on new products coming to market excludes the enclosure the board is held in?

In other words, between now and 08/08 I don't see a huge amount of new mods with the DNA 60 making it to market, unless the mod makers have had the board for a few months and developed mods specifically around it.

That being said, let's use this example as a hypothetical:

The Hana Modz DNA 60. It uses the same enclosure as their V4 dual, which came to market pre-08/08/16. It also uses the DNA 60 board, which also came to market pre FDA freeze.

Is the combination of the existing enclosure and existing board considered a new product under the deeming regs? I can see both sides of the coin as technically it is new, but it also is using components that were on the market before 08/08.

Reactions: iamiam

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Not sure if this question can be answered, but does this mean the 08/08 freeze on new products coming to market excludes the enclosure the board is held in?

In other words, between now and 08/08 I don't see a huge amount of new mods with the DNA 60 making it to market, unless the mod makers have had the board for a few months and developed mods specifically around it.

The Hana Modz DNA 60. It uses the same enclosure as their V4 dual, which came to market pre-08/08/16. It also uses the DNA 60 board, which also came to market pre FDA freeze.

Is the combination of the existing enclosure and existing board considered a new product under the deeming regs? I can see both sides of the coin as technically it is new, but it also is using components that were on the market before 08/08.
great question. i would think if it's a new enclosure and it's not on the market by the 8th. it's curtains for that mod. however, with a slightly modified existing enclosure i would say that def qualifies in the "grey" area of the deeming regs, right? would a preorder count as been on the market? companies could flood the vape community/internet with those for unfinished devices. i guarantee manufacturers are going to try it. who knows what's going to happen. i honestly hope no one complies and new products keep popping up for sale here in the US regardless of the deeming regs. the fda can take their regs and go f.................

iamiam

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2016

great question. i would think if it's a new enclosure and it's not on the market by the 8th. it's curtains for that mod. however, with a slightly modified existing enclosure i would say that def qualifies in the "grey" area of the deeming regs, right? would a preorder count as been on the market? companies could flood the vape community/internet with those for unfinished devices. i guarantee manufacturers are going to try it. who knows what's going to happen. i honestly hope no one complies and new products keep popping up for sale here in the US regardless of the deeming regs. the fda can take their regs and go f.................
This is the Trojan Horse Evolve has developed for those manufacturer to circumvent the FDA freeze.

Reactions: AtmizrOpin

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
kinda sorta a direct fit. from the info i've seen, no mounting rails. a larger inductor on the back (makes it .5mm thicker than the 40), taller fire button and up & down buttons as well. all this not a problem if you're retrofitting a vapor flask or hana large screen. could be a problem with the VS dna 40 (built in battery). they are using evolv's up & down buttons but use an external fire button.
So how do you mount this without rails or screwpads?

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
So how do you mount this without rails or screwpads?
great question. i don't even think evolv knows exactly what the board is going to have or not have, lol. right now they're scrambling to just get the word out and get a few boards on the market before the 8th. i'm sure there will be more info once things calm down to a dull roar.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
great question. i don't even think evolv knows exactly what the board is going to have or not have, lol. right now they're scrambling to just get the word out and get a few boards on the market before the 8th. i'm sure there will be more info once things calm down to a dull roar.
One would think it will be the standard DNA40 rails & they were just left off the mechanicals and 3d.

Reactions: AtmizrOpin

dataton

May 10, 2011
Rhode Island

So I posed this question in another forum and it was immediately and unanimously decided that combining existing components pre-08/08/16 to make something "new" will not fly under the deeming regs. I'm not surprised but it still is frustrating. A good example of how much regulatory over-reach is written into the regs is how liquid will be handled.

Variations in the amount of nicotine, pg/vg, bottle size all equate to a unique product.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Greetings @hazozita : I just recently saw this thread and will apologize. I also started a DNA60 thread not knowing you already had one. I have since asked that my thread be deleted as it is redundant. Sorry for "cutting into your action. :)

I posted these pictures of the first DNA60 I've seen in that thread so I would just place them here as the other thread will go away. It's a bottom feeder with a 8.5 ml bottle in it also...... nice... looks very small....

DSC_0570_zpsm7mfzqss 1.jpg

DSC_0563_zpsy0maqevu 2.jpg

DSC_0557_zpsok3r5rfh.jpg

Dwi Atmaji

Apr 30, 2015
How cool for Evolv to make a new product that will retrofit to the existing DNA40 mods. They really deserve everybody's respect and support. With that many DNA40 based high end mods costing thousands of dollars it only make sense for Evolv to continue to support their pre existing DNA40 based customers which I am sure would love to retrofit their archaic DNA40 board with better DNA60. This existing market alone will guarantee success for the sale of DNA60, sorta win-win situation for the manufacturer and the customers.

My respect for Evolv!

WickedWicks

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2015
The boards are available now in extremely limited quantities to enable our customers to have products on the market before the FDA August 8th deadline. Because of component lead times, volume availability is not expected until October of 2016.
What does that mean for e.g. Chinese mod makers? (I'm thinking of a possible VT60 Nano, Elfin DNA60...) So manufacturers do have a sample board to be able to develop but won't be able to mass produce before October!? That means we are not going to see those hitting the shelves before Nov/Dec!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread