Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
'evnin, Volties.

The chicks are cute, Ducky! They sure do grow fast.

We're sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear about a possible litter from our breeder. In the mean time those puppies we've be raising vicariously are all gone, the last one left today apparently. No puppies tonight when we checked. Hope they all got good homes.

We topped out at 100 again today. Another two days of this and then it is supposed to cool down. I was busy running errands today, post orifice, bank and Costco. When I got everything unloaded I was a "little" damp. Jeesh, it was hot and super humid!

Tomorrow I've got to work outside and clean up from those thunderstorms we had. Some branches came down in the back forty, one of which will need the chainsaw to cut it up. There's a rut down one side of the driveway from the rain running down on one side and that needs to be filled and graded with an idiot stick.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I hope you get good news about a puppy Awsum! The chicks are growing fast! My Dad is giving me a hen duck for my drake! I may be getting her Thursday! I am pretty excited!
More babies! Congratulations!

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Morning Voltville. On my way to the "Y". I ran a weed eater for a while yesterday. When I got in the temp was reading 100.4 in the shade. We're in a huge rain deficit and a record number of days without it. Things are starting to burn up and the grass is all brown and crunchy when you walk across it. Hope everybody has a bodacious day. Laterzz

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Good morning, Voltmaniacs.

Yesterday was 102 degrees. Absolutely absurd. The A/C is, fortunately, functioning well. Our shade around the house is helping a lot. It is actually supposed to be hotter today.

Way less smoky yesterday but we shall see what today brings.

The new step is highly functional and looks great stained. The old step by the back door is looking so much better stained. It didn't take long for the stain to dry yesterday!!!! I finally got some caulking and some exterior trim done. I need to buy some more trim both for the outside and the inside so this project is on hold for the time being but it feels so good to get over the hurdle of what to do about the trim. I told Hubby he has to do the caulking for the trim. I truly am so bad at that job. Since we weren't going to see the part I did, it's okay that is was unsightly.

I have to meet the old treasurer for the water cooperative this morning to go over the books with her. Then, home again and back out the door at 11am to go to my cleaning job. I am definitely not looking forward to driving in the heat. I think I'll stop at the little store in town for bread this morning so I don't have to shop this afternoon.

First things first, feed and water the critters, then feed and water me, water the potted plants and take out the trash before the trash lady arrives. Yes, we have a trash lady.

I hope you find out if you are going to get a puppy!! awsum.

A duck for the Ducky. How cool is that! Hope we see some duck babies by the end of summer.

Wuzz, I hope you get some rain and soon. So far, not a single summer storm here. We don't usually get much rain in the summer but a little would be nice.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Volties.

Just a quick cruise by. I was out there at 7 this morning and need to take a quick break. It's getting hot and I want to get this stuff done.

Everybody try to keep cool, or at least well hydrated!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
A 16oz cup of coffee, and two 20oz bottles of water didn't really keep me hydrated enough. It got really nasty, really fast out there. I didn't get everything done, no big surprise there, but I did make a major dent in what I wanted to get done. I'll have another go at it tomorrow morning and, maybe, get I'll these little "incidental" projects out of the way.

After lunch and a shower I went downstairs and worked on my mod. It's coming along and it's sort of a "proof of concept" thing. I plan on two more, exactly the same, after this one is built. It is going a lot better than the first one I built, lessons learned...the hard way.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I meant to mention this. Reflects on popular beliefs about vaping and the intelligence of government employees.

My wife was outside, at work, having a vape and two of her coworkers commented it smelled like maple syrup. She was vaping what I call RL-4 in honor of Lizzie who gave me the base recipe. Caramel cappuccino, double chocolate, Virginia fire cured and a touch of tobacco absolute. It does have a sort of caramel smell that could be called maple syrup, I guess.

Anyhow, they wanted to know if she wasn't worried about the chemicals in the liquid...and they were puffing on Marlboros. My wife explained that I made the liquids and there were very few chemicals in it, none of which are known to be dangerous. Then they wanted to know if there was nicotine in it. Of course, there is, right now at 5mg. My wife explained that she wasn't worried about the chemicals or the nicotine.

The response from the two "rocket scientists" was priceless. They wanted to know if she wasn't worried about over hydrating from all the water in the vapor. Given the humidity level outside, people must be dropping like flies for the last week or two.

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
I meant to mention this. Reflects on popular beliefs about vaping and the intelligence of government employees.

My wife was outside, at work, having a vape and two of her coworkers commented it smelled like maple syrup. She was vaping what I call RL-4 in honor of Lizzie who gave me the base recipe. Caramel cappuccino, double chocolate, Virginia fire cured and a touch of tobacco absolute. It does have a sort of caramel smell that could be called maple syrup, I guess.

Anyhow, they wanted to know if she wasn't worried about the chemicals in the liquid...and they were puffing on Marlboros. My wife explained that I made the liquids and there were very few chemicals in it, none of which are known to be dangerous. Then they wanted to know if there was nicotine in it. Of course, there is, right now at 5mg. My wife explained that she wasn't worried about the chemicals or the nicotine.

The response from the two "rocket scientists" was priceless. They wanted to know if she wasn't worried about over hydrating from all the water in the vapor. Given the humidity level outside, people must be dropping like flies for the last week or two.
Wish there was a "funny button" to click on. "Like" is something of an understatement lolz.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012

And these people vote!!! So scary. LMAO

Good morning, Voltpeeps.

I need to finish up my chores this morning. Then heaeded to Fallon to become official treasurer of the group. I find groups frustrating to be in. I'm asking can we make a "Who should be a member" brochure to help us know who to talk to and what to tell them as members since it can be confusing. I now know why it is confusing. The two "leaders" were trying to say anybody can and should join. I say "Some one from Wells which is far away from us is maybe going to join. Are we trying to get people from that far away to be in the coop?" Sure we are, everyone should join. I said "Even someone from another state?" Yes. "Aren't state water laws all different? Would their well be protected if they live in Arizona?" That is of no matter. This is an issue for the world.

Okay, so I can see I need to rephrase this at this point. So I finally thought what I am really asking is what marketing materials can we create to get some more members into the coop? So, I will try that tactic next. I don't want to play word games. I want us to get some new members so the ball will be rolling downhill instead of us doing fund raisers like yard sales. The whole world doesn't want to join the water cooperative. Who does want to join, why should they and what are the benefits to them? That's the real question. Just who are we marketing to.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
'moanin, Volties.

Taking a break for a few minutes in the AC.

Lizzie, it looks like some are seeing this as a political/environmental issue. Sure, it's definitely environmental, but trying to "save the world" from your little co-op is going to derail the whole purpose in very short order. If I wanted to join I guess that the "leaders" would welcome it even though I'm, basically, on the other side of the continent. How that helps your neck of the woods manage water beats the heck out of me. I know it's hard to keep politics out of something like this, but at last the basic agenda should be agreed to by all.

Reminds me of a voter I saw that wanted to know the ISIS stand on global warming before making a decision on how "good or bad" they might be. Tunnel vision, single issue thinking, can make a mess out of anything.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Reminds me of a voter I saw that wanted to know the ISIS stand on global warming before making a decision on how "good or bad" they might be. Tunnel vision, single issue thinking, can make a mess out of anything.
Ditto for Catholics who are devoted to "Right to Life" and forget gun control, capital punishment, war, rights for minorities, food and housing programs for the poor, education.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
mm
'moanin, Volties.

Taking a break for a few minutes in the AC.

Lizzie, it looks like some are seeing this as a political/environmental issue. Sure, it's definitely environmental, but trying to "save the world" from your little co-op is going to derail the whole purpose in very short order. If I wanted to join I guess that the "leaders" would welcome it even though I'm, basically, on the other side of the continent. How that helps your neck of the woods manage water beats the heck out of me. I know it's hard to keep politics out of something like this, but at last the basic agenda should be agreed to by all.

I agree and it looks like the new wording has gotten through to one of the "leaders" so hopefully that helped. He gave me a concise description of the three types of members that we have. That's a start anyway.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I gave up outside, too darn hot and sticky. To put it in perspective, 98 degrees, sunny and so humid there were still drops of dew on the grass at noon time in the sunshine! The weather radio has been going off with a flash flood warning, thunderstorm warning and now a thunderstorm watch. I guess my efforts in the driveway will get washed out, again. I really need to re-grade the front yard a bit or, better yet, pave the darn driveway.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Today, I gave the girl a matchstick puzzle. Here is is, if anyone doesn't know what these are. Easy Matchstick Puzzles It's puzzle
#1 at the top right.

So the girl asked, "Why did you give this to me?"

Hmm ... I began to wonder how to answer that. She asked if it was to understand how to follow directions. Well, sort of. But it's more because she likes puzzles and is good at them, and I want to expand her thinking skills, her problem-solving skills.

So I get home and ask myself, "What does this have to do with teaching English? Am I straying too far off the subject?" I'm not sure.

What do you think?

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sandy, while not, specifically, English what you are doing is teaching them to think. That is at least as important, in my feeble mind anyway, as being really fluent in English and knowing proper grammar and speech. To me, you're going above and beyond. Maybe try explaining it to her that way, all skills are important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread