Coil wire composition confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouthycat

Jul 27, 2016
Hi. Just got a new Protank 4 to be used on a new Tesla 80w. The 2 atomizer heads it came with (1) ssocc .5ohm, (1) ssocc 1.5 & a dual coil clapton pre-installed. The Tesla does not support stainless steel. What are these wires made of & will any of them cause damage? And is the clapton 26+32 or 28+32...? Btw, i never use temperture control. Should i avoid using any of these coils in power wattage mode? Thx :yawn:

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
.... Kanger's coils have gotten complicated since I switched to the RBA decks. Okay. From what I'm reading, the clapton is made from kanthal, so that one is good to go. The other two are made from nichrome. So you should be good to go there too. The SSOCC actually doesn't refer to the coil material itself. Unless it's the actual SUS316L coil, which is stainless steel, you can tell if it's that by the bright pink band on the bottom of the coil.

Here's a handy chart of the different coils they offer and what materials are actually used. Yours will be #2,4 and 7 on the list.

Coils

Mouthycat

Jul 27, 2016
Thanks Maiar. Ok after looking @ the coil casings w/ a 7x loupe magnifier, the .5 ohm is stamped "ceramic" & has a black o-ring. The 1.5 ohm says "NC" & it has a red o-ring. The rba has a .6 ohm pre-installed dual clapton w/ red o-ring. If i use them as they are & they won't work or under-perform, i'll just try another material. If one turns out to be SS & i'm not in TC mode what's the worst that could happen? This is my first & last Kanger purchase cause the rba already has a reputation for the positive post becoming loose due to a press in design!

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hi. Just got a new Protank 4 to be used on a new Tesla 80w. The 2 atomizer heads it came with (1) ssocc .5ohm, (1) ssocc 1.5 & a dual coil clapton pre-installed. The Tesla does not support stainless steel. What are these wires made of & will any of them cause damage? And is the clapton 26+32 or 28+32...? Btw, i never use temperture control. Should i avoid using any of these coils in power wattage mode? Thx :yawn:
Only use Nickel and Titanium wire in Temperature Control mode. Both wires are dangerous in high Temperatures. Nickel and Titanium oxide in the lungs is bad.

Kanthal is a combination of iron, aluminium, and Chromium safe in power mode does not work in Temperature Control yet.

Stainless Steel is iron and Chromium. Can be used in either power mode or Temperature Control. Stainless Steel is said to offer a truer flavor over ANY wire for vaping.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Thanks Maiar. Ok after looking @ the coil casings w/ a 7x loupe magnifier, the .5 ohm is stamped "ceramic" & has a black o-ring. The 1.5 ohm says "NC" & it has a red o-ring. The rba has a .6 ohm pre-installed dual clapton w/ red o-ring. If i use them as they are & they won't work or under-perform, i'll just try another material. If one turns out to be SS & i'm not in TC mode what's the worst that could happen? This is my first & last Kanger purchase cause the rba already has a reputation for the positive post becoming loose due to a press in design!
Nothing. Stainless Steel is safe in either mode.

Mouthycat

Jul 27, 2016
Thank u Two_Bears & others. I feel more confident about giving a rebuild a try. Kangertech should be ashamed to leave their customers guessing about things like this. Also, i would not buy a Protank 4 until Kanger offers a replacement rba head for this tank. The positive post is already infamous for becoming loose & causing a "short".

Attachments

• 20160622_163810.jpg
    20160622_163810.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread