retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Before you order online from any company, there are a few things that you need to check. And if it's a new company, or one that you've never ordered from in the past, a few checks that may surprise you with their results.

First of all, is the site secure? Does it have a valid SSL certificate? Is it valid just for their shopping cart or the entire site? (Look for the green padlock in your browser's URL bar.) If you don't see the green padlock, the site isn't secured with a SSL certificate. Browsing should be fine, but I personally wouldn't enter any information on a page that wasn't showing a valid SSL certificate.

If this is a new site, or one that you've never ordered from before, you may want to do a couple of other security checks just to put your mind at rest.

The first check is from SSL Labs.

SSL Server Test (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)

It takes a couple of minutes to run, and will give you a resulting grade. Anything below C should be an immediate indicator to flee the site and never return. A grade of A or B is OK. Technically, a grade of C isn't something I'd condemn outright, but personally, I wouldn't submit personal information. It depends on why the check came back with that grade. That's just me.

For example: Let's say you plug in site "xyz.com" and it comes back with a grade of F, and the reason for the failure is they're running a vulnerable version of OpenSSL (yes, even today there are some incompetent admins who shouldn't be administering servers that talk to the Internet).

A failing grade in this case has a couple of worrying issues. First and foremost, it's obvious your information isn't secure on this server. But the most worrying aspect would be that the server is most likely compromised and has been for some time. And until a full blown security audit has been accomplished on that server, it's doubtful it can be trusted for anything until it's taken offline and fixed.

Another good site you can use to run a quick check is Sucuri.

Sucuri Security

This check scans for some of the more common issues found on some sites and will even let you know if it's showing up on email blacklists. If Sucuri thinks the site is compromised, it'll tell you as well. If that shows up, flee. Do not return.

Obviously, there's no way to tell if a site is really secure without some serious pen testing and for the average user, that's not a realistic expectation. But the online tools I mentioned above can give you a pretty decent idea of how well the company treats its online presence.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
For the end user, PKI isn't something they should have to worry about. Unfortunately, there are far too many server admins who think tossing a SSL certificate into the mix is fine, and they totally ignore the ciphers that are used to negotiate the secure connection. So the end user SHOULD worry, which is why I provided the testing tool links in the first post.

For example, there are servers out there that still support SSL2 and SSL3 ciphers (a sure fire way of getting a grade of C through SSL Labs). A 15 second configuration edit on the server would fix this (and that includes the http restart).

It continues to amaze me that there are admins who don't keep their servers up to date with the latest security updates (there are TONS of servers out there that have an OpenSSL vulnerability) and conduct e-commerce on those servers. There's really no excuse for that. Especially as most server operating systems have the ability to set a cron job to pull in updates on a daily basis.

Go to SSL Labs and look at the test page. You'll see the good and bad, with a ton of failures due to OpenSSL issues.

SSL Server Test (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Two F's and a T, so far. Places that I have ordered from regularly, sigh.

A "T" doesn't necessarily mean the site in not secure. Many of the e-commerce sites like 3D Cart, Shopify, Big Commerce, etc. have blanket certificates for all their customers. It may be something as innocuous as a name mismatch, which shouldn't be cause for alarm on sites like that.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Very nice posts!

I'm gonna add one if its okay. Before clicking "buy".......I always make sure the company has a phone number and address listed on their site.

It not.....they don't get an order from me.

ECF registered suppliers are required to have that info on their site. ;)

I generally don't order from sites that have their registration information masked, either. If you're trying to keep site ownership a secret by masking the domain registration and not including a physical address and phone number on the site itself, you're definitely not getting my business.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Last edited:

LoriP1702

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This is how bad it's getting folks.

Thousands of online stores compromised by credit-card theft

And here's a snippet of 1,000 stores that have been shown to have malware on their servers (look at the list, but do NOT go to any of the listed sites).

Compromised stores that contain Javascript malware (scanned at 14th October 2016). See http://gwillem.gitlab.io/2016/10/14/github-censored-research-data/ · Snippets · Willem de Groot / public-snippets · GitLab
Thanks for the heads up, and for looking out for all of us!! :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread