FDA Vapers take heart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
My Dad was born in 1902, and was a teenager when the 18th Amendment was passed followed by the Volstead Act ...

That's when he and his friends started drinking seriously, as did many others. I grew up hearing many tales of the Prohibition Era, including his brief employment driving "butter trucks" across the border from Canada ... :blink:

Ironically, after the 21st Amendment was enacted, he settled down to an occasional cold beer ... :laugh:

DoomiteAsh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2014
Amarillo, TX
Had to chime in here. I've said it before, vaping has taken off too fast and too big for it to be just a flash in the pan fad or something like that. The Prohibition analogy makes a lot of sense to me. The government couldn't stop people from drinking back when they tried, and they're not gonna stop people from vaping either. Folks in the know have stocked up with DIY juice making supplies and mech mods, all the FDA can do is lose lawsuits and hopefully see the writing on the wall sooner as opposed to later. Vaping WILL survive, whether the government likes it or not. So vape on, y'all!
7ac0331688e12d1f27a5873da35ae367.jpg

Sent from Doomite Central!

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
Its interesting to speculate that vaping might become more popular when banned than it would have been if left unmolested ...

Perhaps, but not by the people who need it most. Of the five vapers I know personally in real life the three oldest (plus myself) would be very unlikely to have started if it was banned. The two youngest, possibly as they both used to...

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Great, now they can fill their cooperate ran prisons with people making ejuice in there homes!

That's what prohibition of things people do normally does - to make regular citizens into criminals. Prohibition of alcohol made the local crime bosses who ran the numbers game (also another vice made a crime) in the neighborhoods, into the Mafia, who then made enough money to create Las Vegas to launder the huge amount of money it gave them. Same thing happened with the later 'cartels'. And as "crimes" (actually vices) grow, so does the police state, and actual crimes rise as well.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

So much truth there and of course, it is whom. and the concepts involved, I drew from for the above post.

Vices - actions that harm no one but perhaps oneself.
Crimes - actions that harm others.

Morality depends on choice. When there is no choice, no morality exists.

When laws (and the force necessary to enforce) are directed at vices, then it interferes with the clear choices that are made with regard to one's personal morality. And because of that, change or advance of morality is hindered - bringing 'something else' into the decisions other than one's own choice to do something or not. It is why banning something, makes it 'attractive' to youth. And that can override one's own rational thought on the matter.

Vices can lead to crimes - especially if laws are made against them, but it is the crimes that should be punished not the vices themselves. That is something most conservatives can't get though their heads. Control-type liberals have the same problem.

By making vices into crimes, a gov't undermines morality itself, under the guise of 'being moral', 'helping children', 'promoting health' while undermining morality and, unfortunately, respect for the law. :facepalm:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Vices - actions that harm no one but perhaps oneself.
Crimes - actions that harm others.
Who wants to conflate the two?

Many say the "prohibitionists" or the "nannies" lead the charge.
As far as I'm concerned, it's mostly helicopter parents.

I'd be a bit more specific...
But if I did I'd probably have to leave the forum forever.
:laugh:

EDITED TO ADD...
Those I speak of may not be LEADING the charge...
They are just the ones enabling what is happening in the world today...

Unwitting pawns of a game they don't even know they are playing.
:(

Reactions: BuGlen

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Who wants to conflate the two?

Many say the "prohibitionists" or the "nannies" lead the charge.
As far as I'm concerned, it's mostly helicopter parents.

Parents have a role in 'guiding' choices, but their ultimate goal is to produce an independent individual who makes their own choices. Guiding every choice (ie helicopter parents) doesn't get to that end product.

But that's really another subject - what I'm talking about is how gov't has become 'helicopter parents' with adults. And gov't is the one who conflates the two, for purposes of controlling behavior because 'they know what's best'. And they can benefit from it monetarily as well - but only if they have control first. Without control there's no 'money to follow'. :- )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread