Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Why's it taking so long to get the 3,000 signatures?
In no particular order:
People aren't aware of what's happening
People don't care
People have been told that online petitions are worthless
The same people see these posts, and the rest of the world is clueless.
People think taxes on vapor products are reasonable.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
In no particular order:
People aren't aware of what's happening
People don't care
People have been told that online petitions are worthless
The same people see these posts, and the rest of the world is clueless.
People think taxes on vapor products are reasonable.
Add: 40 years of tobacco control have trained smokers to just bend over and take it. Now they are vapers but retraining 40 years of propagandization is virtually impossible. Try it with anyone in your favorite cult. And few cults have 40 years to do that work.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
OK... Just for Fun, I typed "PA Vape shop" into Google. Got Lots of Results for PA Based Vape Shops.

So I Randomly selected 9 Shops, 3 from each of the first 3 pages of results.

And out of the 9 Vape shop web Sites I visited, NONE of them had any information on them about a PA Tax Petition. Although one had a Very Touching Story about how the Owner quit smoking on Christmas Day for his Children.

So I guess it could be 40 Years of TC Brainwashing that is keeping PA Vaper's from signing that Petition? Or maybe Not Enough PA Vapers know there is a Petition?

Formaldehyde

Feb 6, 2015
Pennsylvania
As a PA resident, this is definitely a pretty big blow. The floor tax will effect vape shops differently depending on the type of equipment they sell. Shops with many high end mods on the shelves will feel this the hardest, unless they manage to sell them before the deadline. The E-pocalypse is headed straight towards us. Most PA residents who vape don't realize they pretty much have 8 weeks to figure out what they are going to do for the foreseeable future.

Mrmik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2014
Ellicott City, MD, USA
Do the shop owners understand the implications? If they're not getting their customers involved, they deserve what's coming at them. I can't imagine many are prepared to pay the 40% floor tax

I have a hard time for this to make sense. I too, visited a number of websites for vape shops in PA. None had any info on their homepage and I wonder if it is not their duty to inform customers that there are a hefty tax hike/price increase in the near future?
Let's say there are 100 shops (most likely a lot more) in PA and they get 100 customers in a week meaning with info posted, 10,000 vapers gets to know this. Surely something should have happened such as signatures for a petition etc.
Or, did I miss something.....???

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
I know of a couple shops who actively engage their customers on the issues, though much of it was too late I think.

I'm in the Lehigh Valley area and have yet to see a shop saying that this was forcing them to close. Remember this is 40% of wholesale, take a look at the piece of equipment in your hand and Google the wholesale prices. Yes I HATE the state gestapo taking anything especially when it gives nothing back...but this is really a redistribution of margin in what up til now has been a rather lucrative game. The good shops will survive...some will even absorb some of it knowing they can and can continue to promote the best smoking cessation tool we've ever seen.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Any Pennsylvania ecig vendor would be wise to do everything possible to minimize their inventory as of October 1, the the date when the floor tax is calculated. After that, those that chose to continue doing business will likely keep minimal stock levels. As they will owe the 40% tax on purchases which is payable monthly, they need to turn new inventory fast. A well stocked PA vape shop will be hard to find after October 1.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Any Pennsylvania ecig vendor would be wise to do everything possible to minimize their inventory as of October 1, the the date when the floor tax is calculated. After that, those that chose to continue doing business will likely keep minimal stock levels. As they will owe the 40% tax on purchases which is payable monthly, they need to turn new inventory fast. A well stocked PA vape shop will be hard to find after October 1.
Well, the upside of the deeming regs is, you won't have to worry about the SuperCoolRDA v2 making your stock of SuperCoolRDA v1's obsolete in a month.

ETA: #FunnyNotFunny

TheMike21

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2015
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Well, the upside of the deeming regs is, you won't have to worry about the SuperCoolRDA v2 making your stock of SuperCoolRDA v1's obsolete in a month.

ETA: #FunnyNotFunny
True, you won't have gear becoming obsolete as fast since nothing new is coming in.

swampergene

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Slatington, PA, USA
I hope you're right Swampergene. I just think that most small businesses would have a difficult time dealing with the initial inventory tax and I could see getting a loan for it considering the additional risk the FDA deeming regs bring.

And here is the real issue, the FDA regs. The PA thing really is, imo, more like the mob moving in. They see a niche market with great big margins operating on their turf, they want in.

The real problems are yet to come, and they begin in just over a week.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
My question I can't determine its what to load up on.... I have a lot of mods, batteries, atty's, you name it. But how many nautilus coils do I want on hand? Esp when i use RTA's most of the time... But darn if a nautilus isn't good here and there. :)

Point being - that's all well and good, but the JUICE is what I'm gonna need! And my flavor profile changes too often to absolutely load up. It's happened before that I was vaping something and had a lot of stock then all the sudden I couldn't stand it anymore. I don't want that to happen again.

But I'm gonna need to be able to get juice. Hopefully my favorite flavors are still around and they don't close up shop...

Oh and I have nicotine concentrate as well.. But none of this is any good without flavor! Hahs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: bnrkwest

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Oh and I have nicotine concentrate as well.. But none of this is any good without flavor! Hahs

Flavoring will still be around - but you'll likely have to mix it yourself. As long as you have enough nic base, you should be good. As far as coils - wire will be available. Just that wire, batts and flavors won't be able to be marketed for ecigs - but that's not necessary - we know what we need :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
My question I can't determine its what to load up on.... I have a lot of mods, batteries, atty's, you name it. But how many nautilus coils do I want on hand? Esp when i use RTA's most of the time... But darn if a nautilus isn't good here and there. :)
Will running out of Nautilus coils result in you going back to smoking?

Point being - that's all well and good, but the JUICE is what I'm gonna need! And my flavor profile changes too often to absolutely load up. It's happened before that I was vaping something and had a lot of stock then all the sudden I couldn't stand it anymore. I don't want that to happen again.
Sounds like it's time to learn DIY and only make what you need, say 30 or 60 ml at a time.

Oh and I have nicotine concentrate as well.. But none of this is any good without flavor!
I concur with Kent above. Flavorings will be around. They might not be marketed for vaping, but they'll be around.

Last edited:

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
Will running out of Nautilus coils result in you going back to smoking?

Sounds like it's time to learn DIY and only make what you need, say 30 or 60 ml at a time.

I concur with Kent above. Flavorings will be around. They might not be marketed for vaping, but they'll be around.
Good points. And no - if nautilus coils ran out, I'd just build the Kayfun. I really think that KF5 is just all around perfect for me. I have 2 authentics now and have a clone on the way. Must be prepared!

Also have many mods... Some high-end, some not, and many other RTA's and a couple RDA's. I mean in all reality, I could probably go many many many years with what I have now in terms of gear... And that's not exaggerating - lol. Heck I've even got some polycarbonate tube I can modify to make KF5 tanks from and/or other tanks.

Again - greats points on the flavoring. I'm into Heathers Heavenly Vapes currently. I would hope that they might start selling a "concentrate" version of their juice (just flavoring) if all heads South. Marketed under a different name.

So by that rationale I should stock up on PG/VG and more nude nicotine... How much is "enough" is the question.

I may or may not have around 400ml of 100mg/ml juice in a freezer. :)

I consume about 4ml/day of 12mg finished liquid... So... I might need to pull out a calculator - but I think that 400ml of nicotine is about 3 years worth just off the top of my head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread