Status
Not open for further replies.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
OK, we have legislation so no one under 18 can purchase cigarettes, but we still have youth smoking. So now we are going to legislate that no one under 21 can purchase cigarettes and that's going to improve thing's how?
You can add "vaping" to either of the above statements.
It's like murder is already illegal, but we need to add to that so people really get what we mean?
So we can't, and wont, enforce laws we already have, but it's easier to create new laws to counter cover those laws?
But yet, these young men and women are mature enough and ready enough to carry a gun and get killed to support our way of life for our Commander in Chief?
I've got a lot of issues with laws like this, much like I did when they raised the drinking age to 21, I was 3 months off the cut off date, but still had to fill out my draft card?
So more nonsensical laws make up for the non-enforced nonsensical laws already on the books?

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
OK, we have legislation so no one under 18 can purchase cigarettes, but we still have youth smoking. So now we are going to legislate that no one under 21 can purchase cigarettes and that's going to improve thing's how?
It's like murder is already illegal, but we need to add to that so people really get what we mean?
So we can't, and wont, enforce laws we already have, but it's easier to create new laws to counter cover those laws?
But yet, these young men and women are mature enough and ready enough to carry a gun and get killed to support our way of life for our Commander in Chief?
I've got a lot of issues with laws like this, much like I did when they raised the drinking age to 21, I was 3 months off the cut off date, but still had to fill out my draft card?
So more nonsensical laws make up for the non-enforced nonsensical laws already on the books?
It's them that are confused. You don't sound confused, at all.

Try another subject, if you're looking to be confused. This one is too easy.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

Before this moves to the "OUTSIDE"
That feel when you discover that most of what we have been programmed/trained/brainwashed to believe, are in fact, lies.
-347.jpg

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The idea is supposed to be: raising the age limit means an 18yo can't buy for their 17yo friends, and 17yos don't have 21yo friends. I've never seen any evidence provided that that is what happens, when I was a minor I never needed anyone to buy cigarettes for me. The real mystery is, why aren't the 18-20yos voting and telling the lawmakers that they don't appreciate being treated like children?

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
The idea is supposed to be: raising the age limit means an 18yo can't buy for their 17yo friends, and 17yos don't have 21yo friends. I've never seen any evidence provided that that is what happens, when I was a minor I never needed anyone to buy cigarettes for me. The real mystery is, why aren't the 18-20yos voting and telling the lawmakers that they don't appreciate being treated like children?
I don't know, and it scares me to think of what the next generation is going to be like, it seems they already have their hands out now!
Yeah, I feared this would get moved to outside as well. I don't see this fairing well there at all.

Reactions: Izan

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL

Back when they raised the age to 21, it was even more frustrating for me. I turned 18, was able to buy for several months, then come Jan I was prohibited again for 3 more years. I wasn't a big drinker anyway, but I had enjoyed being able to buy wine and beer with my meals for a few months.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
It's nothing more than "feel good" legislation and a way to bring in big bucks via fines when businesses are caught selling to those under the age of 21.

Yeah, and I had several friends that worked in convenience stores, talk about entrapment! The feds would send underage kids, with fake ID's in to buy cigs, or beer, then come charging in fining everyone in sight! Biggest scam I'd ever seen!
"But if it saves one life................."
I posted this in another thread as well, poison data from 2014, please have a close look at the age break down, want to do something for the kids? Here's a good place to start! Poison Statistics National Data 2014

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
There was a "study" released that makes the claim that this strategy would be effective for that reason. It was referred to by Chicago when they raised the age to 21, recently.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
That's what's gonna happen in vape shops...
Or maybe not necessary - walk in, find un-approved juice/mods...write up a couple dozen violations.

Yeah, and I had several friends that worked in convenience stores, talk about entrapment! The feds would send underage kids, with fake ID's in to buy cigs, or beer, then come charging in fining everyone in sight! Biggest scam I'd ever seen!
"But if it saves one life................."
I posted this in another thread as well, poison data from 2014, please have a close look at the age break down, want to do something for the kids? Here's a good place to start! Poison Statistics National Data 2014

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
It's nothing more than "feel good" legislation and a way to bring in big bucks via fines when businesses are caught selling to those under the age of 21.
And to ruin the life of some poor schmo who gets caught selling to a minor, goes to jail, and loses his or her job. And this when the minor produced a very realistic fake ID.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Before this moves to the "OUTSIDE"
That feel when you discover that most of what we have been programmed/trained/brainwashed to believe, are in fact, lies.
View attachment 557071

Well if you're gonna go there this seems quite apropos in the current political clime:

Reactions: B2L and DC2

Knifemaker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2010
Central Texas
Being fairly old, LOL! I well remember this being applied to drinking. When I was 15, in my state, 16 was legal. When I became 16, they switched it to 18. When I hit 18, they changed it again to 21.

When I finally hit 21, and got out of the Service (I graduated early and joined at 17). they switched it back to 18. Man I was ......!

Seems the Lawmakers are always messing with we the people, on an ongoing and regular basis.

In answer to Lessifer's question, which was, " The idea is supposed to be: raising the age limit means an 18yo can't buy for their 17yo friends, and 17yos don't have 21yo friends. I've never seen any evidence provided that that is what happens, when I was a minor I never needed anyone to buy cigarettes for me. The real mystery is, why aren't the 18-20yos voting and telling the lawmakers that they don't appreciate being treated like children"?

Simple, They are the one with the most recent, and freshest Leftist "Brainwashing"! Seems they will stand up for Anyone's rights, as long as it in their line of thinking. If not, they are only willing to stand to protest anyone else's rights!

Knife

Reactions: Rossum

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Being fairly old, LOL! I well remember this being applied to drinking. When I was 15, in my state, 16 was legal. When I became 16, they switched it to 18. When I hit 18, they changed it again to 21.

When I finally hit 21, and got out of the Service (I graduated early and joined at 17). they switched it back to 18. Man I was ......!

Seems the Lawmakers are always messing with we the people, on an ongoing and regular basis.

In answer to Lessifer's question, which was, " The idea is supposed to be: raising the age limit means an 18yo can't buy for their 17yo friends, and 17yos don't have 21yo friends. I've never seen any evidence provided that that is what happens, when I was a minor I never needed anyone to buy cigarettes for me. The real mystery is, why aren't the 18-20yos voting and telling the lawmakers that they don't appreciate being treated like children"?

Simple, They are the one with the most recent, and freshest Leftist "Brainwashing"! Seems they will stand up for Anyone's rights, as long as it in their line of thinking. If not, they are only willing to stand to protest anyone else's rights!

Knife
I'm not so sure about that. The one's who are willing to stand up at all are willing to stand up for their own rights. I just think more of them are more concerned with being entertained. They're used to being treated like children, someone else will take care of them. Don't get into college? Stay at home and go to junior college. Graduate college and can't find a job? Stay at home and write a blog. I'm not sure who's responsible for that, or how to fix it, but it makes me sad. I'm going to do my best to let my daughter know that she is loved, and that she can depend on me, but she also needs to learn how to make her own way in the world because I won't always be there for her.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Police ignore underage smoking to a fault everywhere. I predict police won't ignore underage vaping where there is a law against that because tobacco pays taxes and vaping does not. Police are tax supported.

A billion smokers spend a $1 trillion a year on tobacco. Vaping could go viral and crush the tobacco market. It would be the mother of all tax cuts. The people who benefit from tobacco money are defending their funding. They will put their paychecks ahead of everything else.

Reactions: DavidOck

Knifemaker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2010
Central Texas
Lessifer, read the last line in my response to you, and you will have your answer. It "IS" what they are taught in the schools now days. Both grade school, and college.

In the first line of your response, you said Exactly the same thing as I. Just in a different way. Themselves. Their interest. Period!

Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread