Nickel wire coil for temp mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I like temp mode and all my experience is with nickel wire. I'd like to try making some Clapton coils using nickel wire that will work in the temp mode. I've just ordered some pretty small nickel wire, it's coming from China and will take a while. I've already tried some premade Claptons which I didn't like because they were made with a thicker wire which took a while to heat up and would only work in the watts mode. I'd like a Clapton made of a few twisted thin wires, I'd like to see if I can get more flavor from the Claptons.
Carl2

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I have a Kanger topbox mini and it starts up in nickel mode, quite a few button pushes to get it into SS mode. I started making nickel coils and I'm familiar with it. I've got some of the under 30 AWG coming in. Just a big down size on the wires is what I'm thinking. I tried a stainless steel notch coil and thought it was pretty good, a pretty tight fit on the deck.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've put two what I call D coils back into the RBA and rewicked them, the shape is a D so they will fit into the Deck. Originally I had a leak when adding liquid but turning the tank upside down seems to have removed this problem. I get a moderate amount of vapor from the coils but plenty of flavor where the Kanger tank provides next to no flavor.
I'm not sure what is happening on the shipment of the smaller nickel wires, it has been shipped but USPS doesn't have it yet.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've got the wires in 32, 34 and 36 AWG. The first thing I did was measure the resistance per 10 inches with a multimeter and the mod. Interesting because the we change from Ni200 to Ni80 and there is a sharp increase in resistance, it jumps from .43 to 7.6 ohms from 30 gauge to 32 gauge again that is per 10 inches. that would be 16 twisted wires to bring the 32 gauge close to the 30 guage.
Not sure how to handle this, have to think about it.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've received the wire 28 AWG, 32 AWG ni 200, when a tank gets low enough I'll measure the resistance and wind some coils. I'm thinking 3 or 4 twists of 32 gauge wound as 1 or 2 vertical coils over the air inlets. This should get me back in the ball park, 32 AWG is the smallest wire that I've found for ni 200 wire then you go to ni 80 whose resistance is to high.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
A big learning process for me, I had wanted a vertical coil and found that since I'm using a 22 mm tank I don't have the room, I'd have the coil and then have to place wicking around the coil. I ended up making 2 small diameter coils with wicking inside the coils placed over the air inlet. The coils are 28 AWG Ni200 and deliver a good amount of vapor and flavor.
Since that time I have just put in a similar 2 twisted 32 AWG wires made into the series coils, a set of coils on either side. I have the same total resistance .22 ohms but get quite a bit of vapor at lower temps, 220 F, I have some extra wire from this and will probably try it again in an identical tank and see what the results are.
Overall I am getting what I had wanted good vapor and flavor from nickel wire in the temp mode.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I opened up and took apart the last set of coils and it seems there was a short that disappeared, my guess is a small piece of nickel wire was causing the short. Since everything was apart I built another set of coils and put them in. Nickel wire is magnetic and 32 AWG easily can get kinked both of which can be a problem. Over all I'm happy with things and will probably get into making my own e liquid.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I started using the RY4 tobacco flavor which I like and use the most. I got the supplies for making my own liquid and found the nicotine I got isn't the best choice, 250 ml of 18 mg in 100% PG. It can be used but a much higher amount of nicotine in VG would have been better. I'm thinking of mixing up about 2 cups of 80% PG and 20% VG at 9 mg of nicotine and adding flavors to that.
I'm making coils and using the Vaperesso Tanks I have and have just started using the Kanger tank with a deck that accepts vertical coils. The deck originally leaked like really bad but this time around there were no problems.
I found the Juice Me Up calculator has quite a few recipes
for making different jucies.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
2017 and I think I'm doing fairly well, I've got the Kanger unit and an Eleaf Pico unit. I have 2 Vaperesso RBA tanks and I'm thinking of switching to stainless steel coils. I have all the necessary supplies to make my own e liquids and decided to stay with the tobacco flavors, I've gone from 18 mg nicotine to 6 mg nicotine. I don't feel very useful here and wish I could help other people more but I've done a lot of reading which has helped me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread