weight gain since vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrayCrayRay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2016
There is 100-140 calories in every ounce of USP grade VG. Plus added sweeteners and flavors may add to total calorie in your juice. I'm not sure how many of those calories are consumed after the liquid is vaporized but I assume there is some. As for being being tired while vaping; I feel more sluggish when vaping juices with a ton of added sweeteners and flavorings etc. Most of Vape Wilds dessert line up is heavily sweetened. I now pretty much stick to juices that are more simple or cleaner and free from color and heavy sweeteners.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

courtneylou

Aug 18, 2016
There is 100-140 calories in every ounce of USP grade VG. Plus added sweeteners and flavors may add to total calorie in your juice. I'm not sure how many of those calories are consumed after the liquid is vaporized but I assume there is some. As for being being tired while vaping; I feel more sluggish when vaping juices with a ton of added sweeteners and flavorings etc. Most of Vape Wilds dessert line up is heavily sweetened. I now pretty much stick to juices that are more simple or cleaner and free from color and heavy sweeteners.

Thanks for

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Funny, but I've experienced just the opposite. I find that if I'm vaping, I'm not snacking. In the past when I tried to quit smoking, I always put on a little weight because I satisfied my oral fixation by snacking. With vaping, I never snack anymore. In fact, a good fruity ejuice flavor satisfies me as much as a full blown dessert used to.

And I really question the validity of the calories in VG or flavors translating to gained weight. Somehow it just doesn't make sense to me that the body would use those calories the same way it would use calories that are actually ingested. I mean, we're not eating this stuff.

courtneylou

Aug 18, 2016
Trust me... I hoped it would be anything other than the vaping. And initially I did lose some weight, but then the pg allergy hit and I switched to atomizer with 70/30 veg to pg. the allergy symptoms subsided quickly but the weight gain did not . I don't blame the vaping itself, I think , for me, I was becoming more lazy and less focused while vaping. Also, I do have some thyroid issues( and yes I've had those tests run. All good) but I wonder how nicotine can or does affect thyroid and adrenals

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I wonder how nicotine can or does affect thyroid and adrenals

Even caffeine will affect adrenals. (why I don't drink much of it anymore). Nicotine and anything else you put into your system has an effect on the system. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

I don't think you can ask these questions of a general audience, because I've found that how MY body reacts to things is not the same as others.

For instance I vape 0% nic. I borrowed some eliquid from a friend that was 6mg or 3mg.......at any rate, after only ONE DAY of that, I felt that I had re-developed a nic dependency. My urge to actually have a cigarette for the first time in 4+ years was very strong......so I have learned that any amount of nicotine, in MY body, after having kicked it for 0%, WILL bring me right back into nicotine dependency.

Which was something I worked hard to get OFF. :)

Other people report they can't tell the difference.........

So.......

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Also, I do have some thyroid issues( and yes I've had those tests run. All good) but I wonder how nicotine can or does affect thyroid and adrenals

I have hyperthyroidism that was diagnosed more than 20 years ago. My meds had long been regulated, and I was staying at my usual weight of 115-117lbs. for years. I gradually switched to vaping and got off my 42 year smoking habit, over a period of 2 months. Had my last smoke Jan 14, 2014. Doctor was thrilled and gave me a big "high 5"!

However, I have progressively gained weight since then, my energy level has dropped tremendously, my hair has gotten thinner, and I've not changed anything else (foods I eat, exercise I get, etc.), other than I quit the smokes and only vape now! Have discussed the constant on-going weight gains with my endochronologist numerous times since Jan 2014. He says the quitting smoking has altered my metabolism, which has accounted for my weight gains. He will NOT change my meds, despite the changes I'm going through that indicate my thyroid has also been affected. I even insisted on many more detailed bloodwork tests, and he still won't change anything! Says I'm fine the way I am!

I now routinely weigh 135-137 pounds any time I weigh myself! I'm extremely frustrated, and fed up with the gains, loss of energy, and other changes. So, I know what you're feeling!

I even sought the advice of another endo. He agrees with my regular endo unfortunately. I don't know what else to do. They both insist on basing my medication levels, on the standard old scale for what the TSH test results show. They won't alter my meds based on what my body is telling them about which level of meds is best for me...and was for years!

I wish you luck. I know I'll always vape, and will never, ever have another cigarette. But, the things I'm experiencing since quitting...are not acceptable.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
Completely different for me... Sleep better, breathe better, have more energy & am more active. After quitting traditional cigarettes, I gained about 10 lbs over the first few months. I have now gotten back to my original weight. I have always tried to eat healthy. I drink lots of water & walk at least 30 - 45 min every day. I golf, fish & swim several times per week as well. I'm retired, so I have lots of time on my hands... :D

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
Something else going on here. Could be the lack of the other thousand+ chemicals not in E juice.
A few gals that frequent the local vape shop never smoked and started vaping to get their sweet stuff fix. Very effective for them.

I have been vaping two years and initially lost weight due to less snacking.
I have gained some fat but other factors are to blame for it. Every year it gets a little tougher.

Edit: I also feel a thousand times better since I started vaping. Hair color retuning, skin looking better and more desire to........... never mind :)

akchena

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 26, 2016
Russia, Samara
I quit smoking and started vaping almost 1.5 years ago. Since that time I gained 22 lbs.

I suppose that the switchover from smoking to vaping is equivalent to a total quitting. All my friends and acquaintances also gained weight after the switchover.

I think it's the result of the same processess which also take place when you just give up smoking: there are certain changes in the constitution, sometimes hormonal changes happen etc. As a result, you gain weight.

IMO, there's just one solution: eat correctly (mind the caloric content!) and do some sports. Sooner or later, it should help. Good luck!

• Useful

10Pups

Jan 14, 2017
Orange, California
@ 185 lbs. I lost 12 pounds from work/exercise just before I started vaping. Lost another 4 pounds in 2 weeks of vaping. Now at 169lbs. I found the flavors I use curb my appetite and so I snack less. No need to replace the smoking habit with eating/snacking. I do watch my weight and always have. No matter what, exercise is at least 50% of the equation. Diet being the other half vaping has helped me there.

I've lost 4 stone (50 lbs) since i started vaping. I found smoking always masked my hunger pains and I ate out of sheer habit, probably when i didnt need to. so your probably the opposite, not hungry don't eat, now you feel hunger more. There isn't enough calories being absorbed from vaping to make a real difference in you weight unless you were a short featherweight who never stood up - in which case who cares :banana:

LemonVapeFreak

Feb 26, 2017
I have lost #16 in the 4 months of vaping and no cigs. I had developed a high dependency on sugar over the past few years after stopping alcohol intake. The sweet flavors of the ejuice have all but quentched my desire for sweet things. I even will choose sherbet over death by chocolate ice cream..I realize both have same calories/sugar but my flavor profile has changed to not want rich desserts. Whether it's from vaping or no cigs..idk, but glad the pounds are coming off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread