Best Parts for Unregulated Dual 18650 Box Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusG

Mar 29, 2016
I am in the process of building my first dual 18650 parallel box mod and after A LOT of research I will give you a list of what I believe are the best components for building a box mod. (at least in the configuration I use, which is dual 18650 parallel unregulated mosfet box)

Box - Hammond Box (1590G fits dual 18650's)
Battery Sled/Base - Keystone 1048
MOSFET - IRLB3034
Resistor - 15k ohm resistor (for MOSFET. You only need 1 but they are only sold in packs)
Master Switch - any small two position switch
Fire Switch - any momentary switch (you can use any momentary switch because the MOSFET will take all the amperage and your fire switch will not suffer from heavy current. I use 16mm to 20mm momentary switches)
510 Connector - Fat Daddy 510 or Varitube 510 (I prefer the 22mm option)
Wire - 16AWG copper wire (people use all types of wire with different gauges but I find that 16AWG works best)
Door Magnets - any Neodymium/Rare Earth magnets for Hammond Boxes

I will post the results when my mod is finished.

GusG

Mar 29, 2016
You also could have went with a microfet off of eBay which would have saved you the need for a resistor

Interesting, I have never used or have seen anyone use "microfets". Do you have any experience with microfets? Do they perform the same as a mosfet with a resistor? Also, does a microfet use the same wiring diagram as a mosfet?

Just curious. Might be interested in trying this in a further mod build.

david4500

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2013
A small board with surface mounts mosfets is great if you need to save space. The smd mosfets typically have a lower RDS ON (on state resistance) you'll have lower power dissipation.

RaB4vPu.png

M6ztg4P.png

GusG

Mar 29, 2016
A small board with surface mounts mosfets is great if you need to save space. The smd mosfets typically have a lower RDS ON (on state resistance) you'll have lower power dissipation.

RaB4vPu.png

M6ztg4P.png
Those look like a really great option! Do you have any more information on these and where to get them? Also, a diagram or some more information on building mods with that type of boards would be appreciated.

Reactions: david4500

GusG

Mar 29, 2016
Hey @MMW I actually got the pieces listed above a couple weeks ago and built an unregulated parallel box. The only thing I used in my mod which is different to my list is the battery sled. That was a big mistake because the battery sled I used was way too big and I had to modify the sled like crazy so I could get it to fit in. I definitely would recommend using the suggested parts so everything fits nice in the enclosure. I am currently not home but when I get there I will post a couple of pictures of the final product.

Reactions: MMW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread