Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Templar1191

Jun 21, 2016
There was an efficiency thread but now its just a blood bath. All that "efficiency" stuff is redundant and the test to prove anything made 0 sense for an engineering perspective.

That aside, having coils wound under high tension would mean better thermal contact between the loops of said coil. Will it make a positive difference to heat distribution through the coil? I would say yes, there is no doubt

Provided you can pull it off the rod you're wrapping it on :lol:

Basically, as you increase the pressure of one surface against another where you want heat transfer to occur, you improve the heat transfer rate. Touching you hand lightly on a hot surface, or pushing your hand down on the hot surface. Obviously you're going to get burnt either way, but when you push down hard on a hot surface you're going to get a much better burn, lol

I just got kilometers
yes, kilometers
of 24,26,28 gauge SS316 so im going to have some fun today
Temco btw, great guys. Beats spending $5 for 10m lol

@Mac
hoo lawdy that look tight
Do you not do claptons?

Last edited:
Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
There was an efficiency thread but now its just a blood bath. All that "efficiency" stuff is redundant and the test to prove anything made 0 sense for an engineering perspective.

That aside, having coils wound under high tension would mean better thermal contact between the loops of said coil. Will it make a positive difference to heat distribution through the coil? I would say yes, there is no doubt

Provided you can pull it off the rod you're wrapping it on :lol:

Basically, as you increase the pressure of one surface against another where you want heat transfer to occur, you improve the heat transfer rate. Touching you hand lightly on a hot surface, or pushing your hand down on the hot surface. Obviously you're going to get burnt either way, but when you push down hard on a hot surface you're going to get a much better burn, lol

I just got kilometers
yes, kilometers
of 24,26,28 gauge SS316 so im going to have some fun today
Temco btw, great guys. Beats spending $5 for 10m lol

@Mac
hoo lawdy that look tight
Do you not do claptons?

Yeah, heard that T. Got a few km around here myself. Enough to put up a slew of South of the Border road signs. And I waste a lot as I have my fair share of bad winds. But I'd rather toss than vape the bad stuff.

Thx for the ack on better heat transfer. Contacts make better use of space and wire mass by concentration of heat flux. Many advantages to a contact coil. But that close thermal contact does drive res up dramatically and unpredictably in op without a min level of alumina development. That's what I found within a few weeks (and a few hundred builds) testing pure contacts. Tension winding to a consistent closest proximity proved to me the solution in encouraging such winds to calm down. Better understanding why that was happening took a bit longer and continues for me.

I came into vaping in '13 just as most were transitioning to Kanthal from NiCr. For many the later tasted metallic and concerns abounded. Found K could be more easily encouraged to oxidize with the tensioned/annealing approach I describe here and on the former Protank thread. Can't teach peeps to do the latter. Just too many variables as I stated earlier. And like learning the point of closest proximity which promotes it, creating Kanthal's insulation is a learned craft. Wire color, res and wire color temp variations must be first observed and related to the wind. It's a process of narrowing down towards the bulls eye. We find a way to associate these results with the body mechanics. A rather amazing thing our capacity for correlation.

My goal is straight up…to try to get new vapers to attempt this simple technique. Enlist as many to encourage this community to consider the effects and use of strain to stabilize winds and builds. I'm convinced more folks rebuilding effectively means more likelihood of vaping surviving.

And I wish you as all good luck T. :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
That's a nice coil and the pictures and description made it much clearer.
Makes much more sense.
So when you're done winding the coil doesn't unload or unwind?
Will you have to remove the first wind in the coil pictured?

First, the t.mc. will not unwind. You've induced a persistent shape into the wire by increasing its resistance (heat)…through elongation, in contrast to forming or forcing (bending into shape).

Difficult to use the first turn. It depends on the pin vise, it's jaws and how cleanly you can lay down that first turn.

Unless you're real good that first rotation is not going to be at a level of tension matching the rest of the wind. It can take a few turns to get to a consistent application of tension (even with a jig). But even strain, that's the wind you want. So losing a few turns is actually a good thing to ensure that.

Rob, there are days that jig or pv it don't happen. We underwind overwind or mix 'em up in a coil. We're human. We all have our off days. Had a week like that when I first started. Looking for the high and low extremes of tension and lost it. Couldn't hit the mark. Patient, slow and calm is good. Breathe.

Thx for the ack on the prev post. Try to make things as clear as poss when I can.

Good luck and chime in if needed. :)

Reactions: muzichead

Robbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    Ive managed to get some nice coils but when mounting them to the 454 they get tweaked and lose shape.
    To mount coils they're at a slant so legs have to be bent just right or the washer either tightens or loosens coil.
    Has anyone mounted dual or more tension coils in the 454?
    I'm curious what position the legs are in so coil doesn't unload or tighten them.
    Since one screw holds every coil positive and the washer every coil negative that makes it a bit more touchy.
    I can see why the velocity deck is more popular for dual coils for one can deal with one coil at a time.

Kelt.

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Apr 22, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I've explained elsewhere, the first few I did were quite by accident tryin' to do supX's early close contact coils which were hot. I was skeptical I didn't think contact would do anything but get 'em super-hot. But E the darned things just kept cozyin' up to each other. So I said fine, let's make a few. Dang if I couldn't get it consistently for weeks after that. Reason? The tension I was applying was varying.

First, use the edge of the spool as a rest and a fulcrum point. It's the pulling with one hand slightly that actually applies the tension. Keep it constant with a thumb against the pin vise. Stabilize the other end of the bit with the other hand, thumb or index finger. Start out very slow to add just enough tension to form, increase tension gradually and you will see the point where they first start to adhere to each other. Just a bit beyond that and you get to "sticky"…where they're actually pulling in towards each other. That's where the magic happens.

Good luck ether.

:)

284447d1387257166-protank-microcoil-discussion-img_0567a.jpg
    MTV, I'm late to the game here, but reading furiously to try to catch up. I've been using low-gauge, large ID coils for sub-ohm tank vaping, but recently acquired a Billet Box, as well as a Kabuki tank. (though I have a couple KF style tanks, including the Monster V3 from 528 Customs) This necessitates a shift in coil building for me. I've been going through the thread, and bouncing over to watch various videos, and have an artistic wire coiling gizmo on order. I'll hunt down a fly fishing reel next. Beyond the obvious utility of a pin vise, how exactly is it used for TMC coils? Does it hold the mandrel or the wire? what's the process... Lots of questions, I know, and I am working my way through the thread, but I'm maybe 1/8th of the way through. Any video links would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    Thanks I'll watch them.I watched suck my mod do a quad in the 454 but it wasn't a tension wind.
    Here's another wind.Finding the right jig or tool should be a big help.Ill soon get the hang it's going to take a bit of wire and practice.

The thinner the wire the easier it is to distort the coil when mounting.

Is there any way to test coil after pulsing it to make sure it oxidized and fused?Does it in a way become almost a solid with oxidation between each loop?
    I watched some reviews on the limitless plus and it looks like my next tank has been chosen.I might get a RDA deck for my Cleito it just came out and has a nice look to it and is supposed to vape better than screw in coil.
    I'll have to get a pin vice,some more wire,some large gauge needles,and a few other micro tools.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      152.2 KB · Views: 29

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Ive managed to get some nice coils but when mounting them to the 454 they get tweaked and lose shape.
    To mount coils they're at a slant so legs have to be bent just right or the washer either tightens or loosens coil.
    Has anyone mounted dual or more tension coils in the 454?
    I'm curious what position the legs are in so coil doesn't unload or tighten them.
    Since one screw holds every coil positive and the washer every coil negative that makes it a bit more touchy.
    I can see why the velocity deck is more popular for dual coils for one can deal with one coil at a time.

Here's a video on coiling the 454V2 which has the exact same build deck. Hope this helps you out...

Excellent video Muz. Appreciate the drop. And do recommend verticals on this atty. The flavor and output are tops even as the a/f may seem minuscule. It's not at 7/64". But you really want to get blown away once you build this...any thick-walled (2mm) IGO-W cap fits it!

That means stuff like Cap-It-All Fauxgatti's and Halo's, slots and larger single holes. You think you got a good deal on 101. Stick one of these honey's on there and rock it like the big-boy 100$ legits. Oh baby, you want to talk about production from a moderate chamber device throw some Nextel in there with a wide Ø. Just remember I told you so.

First, let me emphasize…always support the bit in a vert orientation. Likewise, the end turn for any lead you're positioning or setting. This is the best way to make sure the integrity of the t.m.c. is preserved. Stability is hit or miss on a spaced coil with disordered strain. So throw it in the engine compartment. It is what it is. But we're maxing out the horsepower here.

So Rob, leave the coils on the bit or mandrel. This helps avoid distorting the coils. Accidents can happen. It's the easiest thing to bump a lead and spoil an end turn radius or separate it from the wind. While it's possible to try and match the strain by later tensioning the lead it's better to just avoid it. So support the end turns (particularly the one you're setting) with a finger tip. Good practice with any coil to preserve the symmetry you carefully crafted.

I like to go high on 3-post decks and some may have to here with a big space coil or large wire t.m.c. If so prefer to tie down at the pos screw rather than the post hole. Use a spacer to simplify the following and prevent leads from slipping as you tighten up. Hate when that happens as you may skew the coil or mangle an end turn.

For the screw mount, locate the precise distance or offset of the coil from the center post for one coil, put a bend in the wire around the post screw and drop a spacer on it. To ensure the bends are flush with the screw and equidistant from the post use a known Ø bit or screwdriver (make a T of the bit holding the screw and this bit between it and the center post) as you wrap the bend around the c/p screw. Repeat process for the opposing positive.

In other words, you're making a hook out of each pos lead which you'll then set as you separate both coils on their respective bits. Again, support the uppermost end turn as you do so.

You can achieve the exact set for both sides of the pos leads by lightly pulling on the coils to ensure the bends you previously made are flush with the screw as you tighten the neg lead at the ring. That is, with the bit in the coil you pull slightly away from the c/p. This top lead is straight out horizontal and just made taught. You are not trying to add any greater tension than the original wind. But this frequently removes any slight separation of the turn exit that may have been introduced.

Now the neg as per the video is made simple as you are going to very lightly repeat the effort to make the lead taught as with the topmost pos lead. But bring it down to the capture ring while supporting the lowermost lead. So again, the pull of the lead under the ring is just to make the lead taught to the end turn. You will see about some of the best set symmetry you've ever likely to experience with this approach and on this particular device. Rock solid termination.

On the 454 you can drop in 7/7-8/8 24 or 25 AWG (full wrap) for outstanding results using the center post holes in the ~.3Ω and up range. Haven't had to delve to 23-24 for everyday use with this as output is grand at this level with excellent ramp up. But with a t.m.c. this will seem like you're vaping a full ohm up due to the higher vaporization rate. Airflow is directed at about the lower half of the coil and is ideal. I've run large singles, duals, barrels and quads in these with every kind of wick and it's superb. I wouldn't hesitate to run 22AWG in this atty but very satisfying on a box at 45W+ with the above.

@Kelt, know it's early on and you haven't wound one yet but hang on and we'll try and give you a hand.

To all, the pin vise is the ideal tool for producing a reference standard t.m.c. that is unique to you. The best means to set the benchmark both visually and through training muscle memory as to where adhesion occurs for a given guage. Then it's a lot easier with other tools and approaches.

Best of luck. :)

p.s. For ref, a 25W Nextel burn in of 25x2 9/8 2.82mm=0.4985Ω from earlier in this thread Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step. | Page 67 | E-Cigarette Forum | Post #1323.

Last edited:
    Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    That last video helped a lot.
    Here's my last two coils.Two 7 of 24 gauge.It takes me longer to get the tools ready so I'll start winding more coils,it not like it's expensive wire,and mount the best.
    These came to 0.27 ohms and vape very good.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      392.2 KB · Views: 35

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    That last video helped a lot.
    Here's my last two coils.Two 7 of 24 gauge.It takes me longer to get the tools ready so I'll start winding more coils,it not like it's expensive wire,and mount the best.
    These came to 0.27 ohms and vape very good.

Stop funnin' and wind a real t.m.c. :D Thx Rob. Tryin' here.

Nice there, good symmetry. Perhaps an optical ill but wind looks…slightly gapped. Don't have your wind Ø. Smallest Ø I pull for 24x2 7/7 2.5mmØ = 0.2921Ω is a bit higher than your result. Leads on this are ~5mm per. Great heat concentration on that spec. Maybe a bit hot for cotton if it's really 2.5mmØ.

If the winds are spacing out slightly, no worries; you are just shy of enough strain tho. This is typical of common coiler winds where they look coherent on the winder but not under magnification. Forming them by compression and annealing won't cure gaps adequately to achieve the effects of a t.m.c.. Inferior oxidation will occur. As well you lose the durability t.m.c.'s exhibit as they resist spreading from thermal expansion over time. Worst of all, they won't deliver the vaporization rate efficiency. There are just too many advantages to fall short of that beneficial mark, closest proximity.

Once the tools are handy, lol. You're right. You get the biomechanics down, find sticky for the wire…takes then minutes to spin up a basket of 'em. No sense fiddling trying to cure imperfections. Not in the wind, or the wire. I'm like most…I like to get to the vape.

I'll throw oddballs on an extra deck occasionally. Leave 'em for some practice curing ills when there's a few minutes to kill. But wire defects aren't worth it. You need force to 'em together and that's not a t.m.c., not strain. Hey, I use 'em if I have to. But mostly it's not worth suffering it.

Hopefully you're on track Rob so enjoy that vape. If not, give a shout.

Good luck. :)

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    Video helped tremendously and the floss trick will come in handy.
    There was some day light coming through between coils.I use a 10 x lighted loupe to check end results.
    I think the light bulb finally went off.Knowing the destination helps tremendously.I tend to do things half assed until I know I can do a decent job.
    I'll try a few more winds today.

Let me ask this:
    After you pulse or oxidize coil do the coils stick together?
    Does the oxidation act like a weld or glue joint,but not short?

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Video helped tremendously and the floss trick will come in handy.
    The dual coil vapes great.I use lower wattages,20-45watts,but I wanted to crank it up to in 5 watt increments to see how the dual 24 gauge coils handled the higher wattages.Not a problem at 75 watts,not as much vapor or flavor but no burnt vapor taste.
    How is effiency measured with coils?

Efficiency, as calculated on steam-engine is basically lost heat. The thermal loss from that part of the element which is not doing work (the leads) expressed as a percent. When I talk about efficiency I'm more often referring generically to the overall performance, the effective vapor production which results. A practical estimate is difficult as we'd need to account for the working wetted surface, extent of thermal loss from leads, what comprises the functional vaporization zone, transition rate, air/juice flow, power, etc. No tool for this. But side by side controlled experiments I've done with matching gear, in multiples isolating specific wind variations has given me perspective over three years. As well the feedback of a great many users with whom I've shared the test gear samplings. Comp's of replacement t.m.c. builds vs user's typical builds (done by them or myself) have also been part of my 3 year study of consumer rebuilding practices.

Glad the wind's workin for you Rob. Give a shout if sticky's givin' you some problems. Sounds like no if you're pushin 60w+ on that wind. Good job.

p.s. Every device/wind combo has it's limits and airflow relative to the build is a big one. Why I mentioned caps with alt a/f confics for the 454. Why I find it so versatile to go from small tight flavor builds to bigger chuckers.

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    I had to order one of the limitless pluses.The reviews were very good and consistent.
    Mac,
    Did you say you've used a Segilei V3?
    I'd like to get a DL tank for it for on the go.I tried a nautilus 1.4-1.6 ohm,it was a copycat and junk.Got a refund so not all was lost.
    Can you recommend a tank or clearomizer that doesn't leak for Segili V3?
    I've seen a few references to pro tanks but who makes them ?
    I was just too busy them tired to wind coils yesterday but my workbench is updating for coil building.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Morning Rob. Really like limitless. Any mod maker with modularity and interchangeability, support for parts. On that note, Kanger who has been exemplary in their product parts support (until recently). Still the tanks I can't avoid relying upon for a decent vape. And to answer your question, the least leaky of all I've sampled or used.

Protanks and particularly the Mega (large tank version) are still around and a steal. The PT3 takes the earlier short cyl and newer taller coil housing assembly. The Aero which I like only takes the original PT1/2 heads. The Mega on a 15W mod like the powerful VAMO (or 20, 30W versions, lower res) is an outstanding MTL dense vape with an oxidized t.m.c. strung and Nextel wick, 8-9 turns 28-30AWG. As cheap as this stuff is. A bargain for any new vaper seeking a light to moderate performance (most of us) and superb reliability. Now they are a bit leaky and I describe how to keep them clean and dry on the Protank thread and my blog. Still one of the best taste producers I've encountered in the above config.

As for all the airy vertical coil copycats that followed the PT…phoooey. No externally wicked vert coil can concentrate the energy needed to achieve the vapor density of a horiz internally wicked coil. Airy spaced verts achieve production by the add of substantial air flow and force the user into hot high power (much like latter Kanger coils for the Subtank). So much dissipation is not vaporization. Vaporization is what it is. There is no substitute. Learn to rebuild and use strain to improve performance, spaced or contact. Way too much confirmation bias in this community. How we get acclimated and stuck with inadequate solutions as our preferences. I say try it, yes, but most of all…rebuild!

Good luck Rob. :)

Boden

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Lexington KY
    @MacTechVpr

The more evenly tensioned the coil is, the more even and effiencient the co-heating between the wires will be. With less of the wire surface area exposed to the air, more of the heat will be absorbed into the juice and the wire next to it and less will be lost to the air.

A spaced coil using exactly the same amount of wire as a contact coil (28ga both having say 10 wraps 2.5mm ID) looses about 15%* more heat to the air than the contact coil. That's a good thing if you want a warmer vape. Not so good if you want a cooler denser vape.

Personally I vape fruit flavors and want a cool dense vape. I build contact coils with low mass (30ga) high surface area (lots of wraps in parallel) for rapid thermal transfer to the juice. This leaves very little heat available to the air or via transmission down the legs to the posts. Coils heat up fast, transfer the heat to the juice fast and cool off fast.

Edit: * this diference becomes greater with thicker wire as thicker wire has less of its surface area in contact with the wick due to imbedding.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    @MacTechVpr

The more evenly tensioned the coil is, the more even and effiencient the co-heating between the wires will be. With less of the wire surface area exposed to the air, more of the heat will be absorbed into the juice and the wire next to it and less will be lost to the air.

A spaced coil using exactly the same amount of wire as a contact coil (28ga both having say 10 wraps 2.5mm ID) looses about 15%* more heat to the air than the contact coil. That's a good thing if you want a warmer vape. Not so good if you want a cooler denser vape.

Personally I vape fruit flavors and want a cool dense vape. I build contact coils with low mass (30ga) high surface area (lots of wraps in parallel) for rapid thermal transfer to the juice. This leaves very little heat available to the air or via transmission down the legs to the posts. Coils heat up fast, transfer the heat to the juice fast and cool off fast.

Edit: * this diference becomes greater with thicker wire as thicker wire has less of its surface area in contact with the wick due to imbedding.

As you realize, thanks, I favor a higher denser vaporization rate as the means to production. Most peeps can't handle t.m.c. level densities at 24>22 AWG. I just can't get enough tobacco, chocolate gusto with a sweet tooth topping. Diffuse that with high aspect winds and tone it down with a lot of airflow and that's what most are encouraged to build. For new vapors tho still struggling in the wake of smoke desensitization t.m.c.'s are the effective pathway I see of getting them from that to where we are. Tension winds are scalable and diffusion ratio dialed in with wire size (as you note), wicking and airflow. With the important distinction tho of single-wire repeatable predictability.

Definitely get what you're doing B and it makes sense if you go multi-wire. I greatly admire the skyscraper accomplishments of the art wire builders contributing here. What bums me is new vapers walkin' out of vape shops with emulations, the cheapest batts they can afford and clueless as to what a hot leg is. So I keep nursing the egg here hoping more see the need for basics. No matter how badly I may skewer 'splainin' the science.

I do have questions for you and Templar I hope you guys will humor me with on the density thread, if time permits. So try not to get into too much trouble with the boss meantime. :D Thx to all of you who appreciate I'm not sellin' a preference but, pardon the nasty words, a little wire discipline.

Reactions: Boden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread