Best device for non-sub ohm vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I'm sorry, but why would it matter to get the istick Pico to output 3.7 volts specifically? Watts are watts.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
He liked his current setup running at 3.7 volts, and that is what he is used to and what he likes. Some people still prefer the voltage mode.. and sometimes, I wish I could go with just voltage mode.

Voltage mode creates a constant power.. no matter what the setup is. If he's used to something, then he's used to something. Besides, some people want to run at a constant voltage, and take any variables out of the equasion. Variable voltage is more predictable than variable wattage.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
He liked his current setup running at 3.7 volts, and that is what he is used to and what he likes. Some people still prefer the voltage mode.. and sometimes, I wish I could go with just voltage mode.

Voltage mode creates a constant power.. no matter what the setup is. If he's used to something, then he's used to something. Besides, some people want to run at a constant voltage, and take any variables out of the equasion. Variable voltage is more predictable than variable wattage.
The Pico doesn't have vv though so it's out of the question. Trying to adjust a vw-only mod in vv is an overly complicated than excercise in futility.

Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I do have another question that goes back to Ken's comment on volts and watts being the same... so if there isn't a difference, why is that they offer vv OR vw settings? It makes sense that coil material, and any number of other differences would affect the hit, but why is that if I put my aerotank on my svd 2 (which only offers vw) and I set the watts to about 6 or 7, I don't get the same taste as I do on my zmax or mvp when using volts? Even if I take my zmax and switch it to watts and run the same power I get a different tasting hit? And Ken could be right, perhaps I'm imagining it... I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I think Ken meant that when you turn up wattage or voltage, the same thing happens. It gets hotter or cooler at the coil.

Voltage is simply the voltage that the mod is delivering to the atomizer. In a variable mod that's synthesized through the electronics that allow you to turn the atomizer heat up and down. That way it can compensate for a battery that's losing charge over time and deliver the same vape until the battery is low. You can also turn voltage up or down manually to adjust the vape to your liking.

Wattage is a calculation of power arrived at by squaring the voltage and dividing by the resistance. If you're vaping at 10 watts that's 4V at 1.6 ohms. If you change the atomizer to 2 ohms, then that same 4V gives you 8 watts of power. Power = Voltage squared X resistance. Still, if you turn it up it gets hotter and it gets cooler if you turn it down, whether you are adjusting voltage or wattage.

That may be more information than you wanted, but it's good to know if you are interested in knowing what's going on.

You can play with the numbers using this calculator and see what happens with different voltages and resistances. Just leave the wattage blank and the calculator fills it in.
Ohms Law Calculator

Last edited:
Reactions: Kat Eyez

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The Pico doesn't have vv though so it's out of the question. Trying to adjust a vw-only mod in vv is an overly complicated than excercise in futility.

Agreed. The beauty of VW mods is that you can swap out atomizers and get the same vape every time. With VV, there's always a voltage adjustment to get back to where you were because the change in resistance produces a different output.

It's still only a process of dialing in what vape you want, though. If it's too hot, turn it down.

Reactions: Hitmetwice

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I do have another question that goes back to Ken's comment on volts and watts being the same... so if there isn't a difference, why is that they offer vv OR vw settings? It makes sense that coil material, and any number of other differences would affect the hit, but why is that if I put my aerotank on my svd 2 (which only offers vw) and I set the watts to about 6 or 7, I don't get the same taste as I do on my zmax or mvp when using volts? Even if I take my zmax and switch it to watts and run the same power I get a different tasting hit? And Ken could be right, perhaps I'm imagining it... I don't know.

To answer your question, Wattage mode varies the voltage depending on the resistance of the coil. Voltage mode varies the wattage depending on the resistance of the coil. I understand wattage is the more popular choice, but I actually still prefer the voltage. I've noticed that I like to run at 3.8-4.0 volts for kanthal a-1.. whether it be 28 gauge, 26 gauge, or 24 gauge. I don't see the popularity in wattage mode. Wattage mode is an indication of how much power is being used, and how much your battery is being drained. Personally, I'd rather concentrate on vape qualtiy and just replace the battery when needed. Unfortunatley, the newer mods don't offer a voltage mode.

Now, vape quality depends on several factors. There are the cloud chasers who like lots of air and lots of wattage, and the flavor chasers who like a more juice to air ratio, and probably slightly lower wattage, and some of those who just like a little bit of vapor but have a highly constricted airflow so they get more flavor than anything else.

Higher airflow and lots of watts gives huge plumes of vapor... at the cost of flavor. Some juices do taste better muted and warm, but to be honest, I think it's more showboating than anything else, but for some, it is what they're looking for.

My setup is barely in the sub ohm rating.. I like a slightly restrictive airflow, but enough to do a mouth to lung inhale. I prefer a .8 ohm setup running at around 25-30 watts... that's my "main" setup. It's not a huge cloud chasing setup, but I believe it offers a good mouthfull of flavor at a decent warmth. (for those who know, I run a Taifun GT at full open airflow which is perfect, or a Derringer half closed, Subtank (original) with 2 airflow holes, or or a Goblin Mini at probably %60 open)

And what they call Tootlepuffers, they just want a decent flavor, but don't want it to invade everything.. they just want to taste the flavor, and inhale.. This is what new vapers usually start off with, and many never feel the need to go up. They sometimes have mouth to lung, but sometimes they can do a direct lung inhale.

Everyone's different so your style depends entirely on you. Find what you like and if you want to learn more, ask questions based on what your current settings are like.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I was highway driving last week at 65mph and looked down at the speedometer. I was going 104! Yikes!

Somehow I bumped the button that changed from MPH to KPH. It's all the same, though. I was still going 65mph.

I prefer wattage mode just because I can change atomizers and not change the settings on my mod. I just wound a SS coil that came out to .99 ohms. Before I wound that one my previous coil was 1.94 ohms. Yes, there's a slight difference in the vape because I changed from 8 turns of Kanthal to 10 turns of SS (more turns touching the wick), but I didn't have to change the mod setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed_C

Marst

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2011
Austria
So I have VV, VW, and TC Mods in use. And at the end of the day it doesn't really make a lot of difference. If the vape feels too weak I turn them up, if the vape is too sharp I turn them down. And after all that's it.
Funny example:
My currently most beloved Tilemahos X1 I ran with 25W.
On inspecting the spring/coil found there were lots of coal on it. So I took the cotton out and made a short dry burn and brushed away the coal.
Rewicked and off I went.
But the taste was horrible scratchy nearly biting sharp.
So I simply turned it down And have the same wonderful taste now with 15W.
Probably exactly the same experience I would have had with VV or TC :)

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
And many thanks for trying to help me out through the transition. I knew it was kind of a dumb question/ delima to start, but that never stopped me before lol. I didn't really know how to word my exact issue, but since you guys were so great about knowing exactly what I mean, I came to the right place, once again [emoji6]

No question is dumb or a bother :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
To answer your question, Wattage mode varies the voltage depending on the resistance of the coil. Voltage mode varies the wattage depending on the resistance of the coil. I understand wattage is the more popular choice, but I actually still prefer the voltage. I've noticed that I like to run at 3.8-4.0 volts for kanthal a-1.. whether it be 28 gauge, 26 gauge, or 24 gauge. I don't see the popularity in wattage mode. Wattage mode is an indication of how much power is being used, and how much your battery is being drained. Personally, I'd rather concentrate on vape qualtiy and just replace the battery when needed. Unfortunatley, the newer mods don't offer a voltage mode.

Now, vape quality depends on several factors. There are the cloud chasers who like lots of air and lots of wattage, and the flavor chasers who like a more juice to air ratio, and probably slightly lower wattage, and some of those who just like a little bit of vapor but have a highly constricted airflow so they get more flavor than anything else.

Higher airflow and lots of watts gives huge plumes of vapor... at the cost of flavor. Some juices do taste better muted and warm, but to be honest, I think it's more showboating than anything else, but for some, it is what they're looking for.

My setup is barely in the sub ohm rating.. I like a slightly restrictive airflow, but enough to do a mouth to lung inhale. I prefer a .8 ohm setup running at around 25-30 watts... that's my "main" setup. It's not a huge cloud chasing setup, but I believe it offers a good mouthfull of flavor at a decent warmth. (for those who know, I run a Taifun GT at full open airflow which is perfect, or a Derringer half closed, Subtank (original) with 2 airflow holes, or or a Goblin Mini at probably %60 open)

And what they call Tootlepuffers, they just want a decent flavor, but don't want it to invade everything.. they just want to taste the flavor, and inhale.. This is what new vapers usually start off with, and many never feel the need to go up. They sometimes have mouth to lung, but sometimes they can do a direct lung inhale.

Everyone's different so your style depends entirely on you. Find what you like and if you want to learn more, ask questions based on what your current settings are like.

No. Both modes vary the voltage. Vv does it directly without taking other factors into account. Vw reads the resistance and varies the voltage in order to reach the watts desired. Watts are a result of voltage through a specific resistance, it can't be directly manipulated. Flavor etc simply won't differ if choosing one over the other. The rest of the post has nothing to do with vv vs vw. I thought the need for these kinds of discussions was a thing of the past...

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I was highway driving last week at 65mph and looked down at the speedometer. I was going 104! Yikes!

Somehow I bumped the button that changed from MPH to KPH. It's all the same, though. I was still going 65mph.

I prefer wattage mode just because I can change atomizers and not change the settings on my mod. I just wound a SS coil that came out to .99 ohms. Before I wound that one my previous coil was 1.94 ohms. Yes, there's a slight difference in the vape because I changed from 8 turns of Kanthal to 10 turns of SS (more turns touching the wick), but I didn't have to change the mod setting.

I don't think that's the case with VW. As a matter of fact, I just tried it. Read below for the explanation. Also, I think temp mode works in such a different mode, that wattage probably is more important than voltage. It deals more with ramp up time than anything else.

No. Both modes vary the voltage. Vv does it directly without taking other factors into account. Vw reads the resistance and varies the voltage in order to reach the watts desired. Watts are a result of voltage through a specific resistance, it can't be directly manipulated. Flavor etc simply won't differ if choosing one over the other. The rest of the post has nothing to do with vv vs vw. I thought the need for these kinds of discussions was a thing of the past...

Seems that some of the newer folk don't remember the times. :) All regulated mods vary the power according to Ohms law. One is based on varying the voltage, the other is based on varying the wattage. I still prefer the variable voltage, since you can change atomizers without worrying about the ohms of the coil compared to variable wattage... take this as an example for those others reading it.

Variable wattage set on 40 watts:
Derringer RBA at .4 ohms, it will set the voltage to 4 volts running through the coil... good vape
Switch to my Taifun, running at 1.2 ohms... It gives it 6.9 volts.. I end up with a burned cotton..

Varriable Voltage set at 4 volts

Derringer RBA at .4 ohms, will change the wattage to 40 watts. and do a 10 amp pull from the battery.
Switch to my Taifun, running 1.2 ohms... It will change the wattage to 13.33 and draw less power from the battery (3.33 amps). Less power drawn, still good vape.

That is why I prefer the voltage option, but none of the newer mods have voltage mode. Wattage mode attempts to create the same heat... but that may mean over pushing thinner wires hotter and burning the coils. Hoever, it is what it is, and I have to change the wattage depending on which coils I put in.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I don't think that's the case with VW. As a matter of fact, I just tried it. Read below for the explanation.

Seems that some of the newer folk don't remember the times. :) All regulated mods vary the power according to Ohms law. One is based on varying the voltage, the other is based on varying the wattage. I still prefer the variable voltage, since you can change atomizers without worrying about the ohms of the coil compared to variable wattage... take this as an example for those others reading it.

Variable wattage set on 40 watts:
Derringer RBA at .4 ohms, it will set the voltage to 4 volts running through the coil... good vape
Switch to my Taifun, running at 1.2 ohms... It gives it 6.9 volts.. I end up with a burned cotton..

Varriable Voltage set at 4 volts

Derringer RBA at .4 ohms, will change the wattage to 40 watts. and do a 10 amp pull from the battery.
Switch to my Taifun, running 1.2 ohms... It will change the wattage to 13.33 and draw less power from the battery (3.33 amps). Less power drawn, still good vape.

That is why I prefer the voltage option, but none of the newer mods have voltage mode. Wattage mode attempts to create the same heat... but that may mean over pushing thinner wires hotter and burning the coils. Hoever, it is what it is, and I have to change the wattage depending on which coils I put in.

Seems some folk can't read. I joined ecf less than a month after you, and had vaped for several months before that. In vaping terms that's an old-timer (not that the time one has been vaping has any relevance for one's knowledge of these matters). Also seems that some folk don't know what they're talking about and prefer to rely on what they image is correct. Myself, I prefer relying on actual facts.

Kat Eyez

ECF Veteran
I don't even want to imagine how difficult it would be if I'd have to get new gear after not having kept up to date for even only a few months. Things have progressed so ridiculously fast.

Ain't that the truth! When I found something that worked perfectly for me, I got so comfortable using it that I did exactly that! I'm not going to let that happen again lol

Reactions: KenD

Kat Eyez

ECF Veteran
I think Ken meant that when you turn up wattage or voltage, the same thing happens. It gets hotter or cooler at the coil.

Voltage is simply the voltage that the mod is delivering to the atomizer. In a variable mod that's synthesized through the electronics that allow you to turn the atomizer heat up and down. That way it can compensate for a battery that's losing charge over time and deliver the same vape until the battery is low. You can also turn voltage up or down manually to adjust the vape to your liking.

Wattage is a calculation of power arrived at by squaring the voltage and dividing by the resistance. If you're vaping at 10 watts that's 4V at 1.6 ohms. If you change the atomizer to 2 ohms, then that same 4V gives you 8 watts of power. Power = Voltage squared X resistance. Still, if you turn it up it gets hotter and it gets cooler if you turn it down, whether you are adjusting voltage or wattage.

That may be more information than you wanted, but it's good to know if you are interested in knowing what's going on.

You can play with the numbers using this calculator and see what happens with different voltages and resistances. Just leave the wattage blank and the calculator fills it in.
Ohms Law Calculator
That's great information! I think I knew that stuff once upon a time. Being out of research days I have definitely forgotten a good bit of the basics. I used to follow the ohms law religiously back then.

Reactions: DaveP

Marst

ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2011
Austria
So now after refilling my melo tank I'm getting some heavy gurgling. I kicked up the wattage to see if it would burn it out (even after I cleaned the coil with a rolled up napkin tip. But it's still gurgling. Any advice?

Some tanks do that, eg Cubis.
Too much liquid is in the coil.
Solution: turn it upside down and fire for several seconds.
That empties the coil from too much liquid, while no liquid can refill it.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
So now after refilling my melo tank I'm getting some heavy gurgling. I kicked up the wattage to see if it would burn it out (even after I cleaned the coil with a rolled up napkin tip. But it's still gurgling. Any advice?

You can try to clean it out, as suggested above, but I fear this is a culmination of restricting the airflow, I have a similar problem with my Theorum atty, using it as you do, restricted drip tip and airflow shut down. I get mouthfuls of juice, randomly.
They just are not designed to this style of vaping, so we make do and deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread