am i doing something wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neneuro

Aug 25, 2016
Belgium
Hey,

today is the first day i tried to vape. I bought a starter kit ( the eGo AIO ) and it came with different liquids, also different in PG and VG. and coils ( 0,6 ohm ).

When i tried to vape i felt pain in my lungs (i'm a smoker and when i normally smoke i don't feel this pain. I want to quit smoking that's why i wanted to start vaping)
I was a bit scared because i thought vaping was better than smoking and i thought it would feel lighter and not so harsh on my lungs.

Now the problem is i have a cold for a couple of days , could this be the reason that it hurts my lungs? (it doesn't hurt my throat only my lungs and i cough immediately when i vape)
should i wait untill my cold is gone and try again?
i read a lot about different coils, liquids, etc... and i don't think that is the problem.

i can really use some help. Thanks :)

Reactions: bnrkwest

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Rather than direct lung inhaling try holding the vape in your mouth first then take in air with it so you are not getting that direct hit to your lungs. Sort of like smoking a cigar, fill your mouth first not your lungs. I cannot do direct lung hits and I have been vaping for 5 yrs, so try Mouth to lung MTL instead. Good luck!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with the above comments. It took me 4 years of vaping before I could comfortably do direct lung inhales.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't recommend a beginner vaper to be using sub-ohm coils. Any coils below 1.0 ohm is probably going to make a hot uncomfortable vape for a beginner. Generally speaking, only experienced vapers get into sub-ohm vaping. I don't know why you decided upon this setup or if someone recommended it for you, but I personally believe this could be the issue you're experiencing.

There is sometimes a transition period when new vapers switch from smoking to vaping. Vapor is different than tobacco smoke, and may take some time for the body to adjust. When you first began to smoke, you probably coughed, until your body became immune to it. The same can be true with vapor; it may take a week or two for your body to make the transition from smoking to vaping.

Since you chose to begin vaping while you have a cold, you have started while your lungs and upper respiratory system have been compromised. Perhaps postpone vaping until you have recovered from your cold.

A Word on Vaping Technique

Last edited:

Neneuro

Aug 25, 2016
Belgium
Thank you for your reply!
I use the technique you described, i hold the air in my mouth first but when i take in the air in my lungs i feel pain en i have to cough. I can compare it to the feeling when i smoke a regular cigarette ( now i only smoke light cigarettes ) the nicotine level i use now for vaping is 6 mg so i don't think that is the problem.
there is also an airflow control and i tried every stand there is so i really don't know what i'm doing wrong.

Reactions: bnrkwest

Neneuro

Aug 25, 2016
Belgium
Thank you for your reply!
i saw the eGo AIO in a review and they said it was the perfect thing for a beginner vaper but maybe i need to look for a different one then.
Thank you for the video.
i will wait untill my cold is gone and try again, if i still feel pain i will look for an other vaporizer with other coils.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
Before you go out and spend money on more hardware, try a lower nic level first. I smoked very heavily for over 40 years, and when I started using sub-ohm coils, there's no way I could handle 6mg nic. 3 was pushing it for me. I'm now down to 1mg, and I still get PLENTY of nic by sub-ohming. When I started vaping last summer, using an EVOD device and mouth-to-lung, I started with 24mg nic, then dropped pretty quick to 18, then down to 12 and finally 9mg and that was all in the space of a few months. Then I got my first tank with sub-ohm coils and 6mg about killed me, so I had to keep dropping my level.

Anyway, the reason I said try lowering your nic is that I get that same pain (a hitching, grabbing, swallowed-a-handful-of-tacks kind of feeling) when I try to vape liquid that has too much nic content. Your gear might be fine, you might just need less nic with that particular setup and coil. Just my thoughts on it... Good luck, and I hope you get over your cold soon. :)

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Should ask what ratio juice your using too, PG/VG. The AIO has sub ohm coils but it's in no way a typical sub ohm vape. It's tight even with air flow wide open, not really ment for a true airy DTL. 0.6 at full charge on the other hand is way to much power for a beginner use the 1.5 Ohm Clapton MTL, then 1 Ohm SS both sold separately (joyetech always was dumb about what coils they included) save your 0.6 Ohm SS for months from now basically lol. It's a great beginner device just not with the coils included. Your nicotine level is fine I started at 12mg.. just need the right coils.

Reactions: Neneuro

Neneuro

Aug 25, 2016
Belgium
in the starter kit i got 6 different liquids, most are 70 PG / 30 VG but there are 2 with 50 /50. I only used the 70 /30 so maybe i need to test the 50 / 50

Can i just put the 1.5 Ohm Clapton MTL or the 1 Ohm ss in the device i have now? because i have no idea if that is possible, i'm a noob that's why i bought an all in one device :) i was scared that if i use an other coil that it could burn or damage the device.

Thank you for your answer!

Ed_C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Seligman, MO
Can i just put the 1.5 Ohm Clapton MTL or the 1 Ohm ss in the device i have now? because i have no idea if that is possible, i'm a noob that's why i bought an all in one device :) i was scared that if i use an other coil that it could burn or damage the device.Thank you for your answer!

Yes, it looks like the LVC Clapton 1.5ohm MTL would fit and should work out for you better. I'm not sure why vape companies try to market sub-ohm starter kits and coils to beginners. I think it's generally a bad idea. I think newbies do better with mouth-to-lung (MTL) tanks that mimics smoking better. The LVC is said to be deigned for MTL

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I felt the same way when I got my Joyetech EVIC VTC Mini with Tron. Had Ni TC, Ti TC and a 1 Ohm MTL coil. So I could try TC another boring MTL coil but no 0.5 Ohm coils to try the actual reason I got it, to try sub ohm. Now they sell a beginner device with no beginner coils included... dumb.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I doubt that running water will harm this device. I'd avoid getting the battery's charging port wet, though.

The tank part comes apart, obviously. These parts can be cleaned with mild soapy water and rinsed clear. You could also use some rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) on a cotton ball/cotton applicator.

eGo_AIO_D22_02.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread