FDA The FDA regulations - guilty of comparing apples to oranges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
I just finished reading a study on how school age kids are NOT having a nicotine epidemic from the American vaping association.

Unrelated to this article, I was thinking that

I'm tired of everyone with power using tobacco and nicotine interchangeably. Either the FDA is talking about tobacco or nicotine. Nicotine may be a stimulant and habit forming. In cigarettes nicotine is used to addict people to smoking 400+ carcinogens. That's it's job.
It appears that the FDA has minimized the deadly chemical makeup of burning tobacco and instead moved it's focus to how addictive nicotine is because vaping products do not contain tobacco. In a burning tobacco cigarette, among the 400+ carcinogens , nicotine is one of the least likely to cause cancer.

There is no comparison in smoking burning tobacco and vaping . If people smoke tobacco to get the nicotine, and vape to get the nicotine, Vaping devices and liquid are nicotine delivery systems, not tobacco related products. If potatoes had nicotine in them, and people were consuming a lot of mashed potatoes to get their nicotine satisfaction , would it mean that mashed potatoes would be labeled "tobacco related" or a nicotine delivery system?

I guess what I want to say is that being the FDA, they should be more precise in their usage of words. Vaping liquid is not tobacco related, it's a nicotine delivery product that has no tobacco. The FDA should not be using assumptions and hearsay as facts as most anti vaping people do. It makes them sound like 5th graders creating regulations. Where are the facts? Where is the expertise? Where are the pro vaping studies and data? Everything they don't know is hidden in a lot of verbage. They are making regulations without conclusive data.

Bottom line is that in the last 9 years thousands of people have quit smoking using vaping products. Big Tobacco and the FDA do not like that fact. They build their arguments comparing apples to oranges. If they were correctly comparing apples to apples, there would be no argument and vaping products would not be "Tobacco related products". They would be "ANTI tobacco related products".

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Well, we certainly haven't helped our cause, have we? Even though the vapor is not hazardous, it's certainly annoying. Is it any wonder that when 3 people fill a room with a fog that others want them to go outside with the smokers? Heck, I've seen smokers insist that the sub-ohmers move to a different area. A simple lack of common courtesy has caused a large part of the backlash and prompted the government to do something about it. It may be heavy handed, but it was inevitable anyway.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Well, we certainly haven't helped our cause, have we? Even though the vapor is not hazardous, it's certainly annoying. Is it any wonder that when 3 people fill a room with a fog that others want them to go outside with the smokers? Heck, I've seen smokers insist that the sub-ohmers move to a different area. A simple lack of common courtesy has caused a large part of the backlash and prompted the government to do something about it. It may be heavy handed, but it was inevitable anyway.
You mention a phenomenon that after 61 years of life,3 years of vaping,and 38 straight
years of smoking no one I know that smokes,vapes or otherwise has ever observed or even
commented on in real life.

Confirmed incidents concerning so called cloud bro's smogging up the area
are rarer than confirmed sightings of bigfoot with un-photo shopped pictures.
I am not saying it never has happened. I am saying if it does it is so rare that
even our detractors do not mention it as a problem.
I have seen a backlash to vaping but, smogging up any area has never,ever,been an issue. The issue with our opponents is they want zero tolerance no vaping at
all.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
Follow the money. The FDA is cutting off the opportunity to tax vaping products and the opportunity to control sound safety regulations . We are gaining on the tobacco industry. We are becoming a threat. The FDA has blatantly favored Big Tobacco and allowed a proven toxic item to be sold and used and squashed their competition unfairly. they can't take our freedom of speech

Last edited:
Reactions: puffon

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
Follow the money. The FDA is cutting off the opportunity to tax vaping products and the opportunity to control sound safety regulations . We are gaining on the tobacco industry. We are becoming a threat. The FDA has blatantly favored Big Tobacco and allowed a proven toxic item to be sold and used and squashed their competition unfairly. they can't take our freedom of speech
That's because the FDA has been pressured to regulate the product, and it is easier to regulate a few large entities (tobacco companies) versus thousands of vape shops and eliquid manufacturers. Let's face it, just about anybody and their uncle can form a juice company....and many have. How could you possibly afford enough manpower to manage that hot mess? You can't, but you can if you kill off 99% of the industry with insanely complex regulation, and manage the remaining 1% who can afford to comply (the tobacco companies).

Plus, the FDA does not set tax policy, that is a state issue. Now that vapor products are tobacco products legally, it is easy to states and local entities to tax whatever vapor products are left along with cigarettes and smokeless tobacco.

Reactions: LaraC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread