Status
Not open for further replies.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I have been tinkering with updating the look of my Billet Boxes for quite a while now from wraps to wood to embossing to metals but each of them while very pretty had something annoying to their use. Then I stumbled across alcohol inks and patina paints. Well a new addiction was born. the Billet Box is such an easy mod to update. The flat paces with panel insets is just a perfect mod for this process and the design is up to your imagination.

Firstly thanks to all the YouTube crafters that show their work with alcohol inks and to the woodworkers who taught me how to create faux burls with wood stains. The techniques translate across to alcohol inks perfectly and there are too many of you to link.

Some pics of the finished billet boxes and then the detailed pics showing the process.

My favourite :D

Some Green panels

The current lot. Some of them are not quite right but plenty of time, ink and resin to make more.

I am also toying with some of the more subtle stone like designs and will update as I go.

Last edited:

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Process Notes

Supplies

Adirondack inks by ranger. Can be bought at good craft stores.
Disposable gloves.
Tools for inking. Most people use felt stamps, I used cotton pads and brushes but anything that dabs ink and gives you a good pattern.
Yupo paper. A plastic paper that becomes your canvas
IceResin. I used a 2 part resin that is mixed 1:1 that is self doming, low toxicity and of a jewellery grade.
Torch for releasing bubbles. (Note Heat guns blow the resin and disturb the surface tension resulting in a flat thin cover)
Acetone & isopropyl for cleanup

And lastly a clean environment for curing and dust free coating.

Process Notes and pics
Clean yupo paper with isopropyl alcohol to remove dirt and oils.

The layers are up to you and unless you use a mixative like I did, you can just wipe and start again if it gets out of hand. :D I practised on a gloss white bathroom tile before making the actual panels.

Lay down a base colour (I used ink plus a pearl mixative). This seems to lay a stable base for the patterns I wanted to achieve. It's not completely necessary to use the mixative, you can start with the inks.

Add your pattern and your colour combo in which ever method suits you. My technique was to randomly put drops on the sheet and then dab to get the marbling effect.

A quick well written tutorial is this one and of course a myriad of YouTube videos.
Learn about Alcohol Inks - Tutorials, color charts, combinations, domino art, projects, polymer clay and more with Adirondack by Tim Holtz

I waited for each layer to dry (10-15 mins) but it's not necessary if you want blended colours. The inks still do and go wherever they want to. Once happy with the panel sheet I left overnight for the inks to completely set.

Punch the hole for the firing button but keep the circle to make matching buttons. Then, using the existing panels as a template, cut the yupo sheets to size and nip the corners. The resin and yupo is still flexible for about a day (weather dependent) and can be cut with scissors. This will give you a sharp edge so I chose to cut beforehand and get the pillow type soft edge.

The resin I used is mixed 1:1 and then carefully poured over the panels. A flat tablespoon of each part for a single panel. Slightly drizzle to the corners to get a pillow look to the edge. A word of caution. If you push and prod the resin it will disturb your ink pattern so let the resin do its doming with as little interference as possible.

I found the resin dipping at the thinnest point to the right of the button hole but in a happy coincidence the dip falls under my thumb so is perfect for me. A heavier grade of yupo paper will alleviate this. You can the doming effect on the button. It sits slightly higher than the panel but has a lovely tactile feel.

Button and dipping resin issue

Let sit for about 5-10 mins and let the bubbles come to the surface. Waft a butane torch over them to release. The yupo will melt if you are heavy handed and will set fire to the resin if you are too eager. Ask me how I know that.

Cover or leave in a dust free environment overnight. At this point the panel is still flexible and any drips can be trimmed away. I backed with masking tape to catch any excess and just removed that. Another couple of days and the panel is hard. Because of the doming effect of the resin on thinner yupo paper you may get some curl. I weighted them lightly without any impact on the resin.

The panels are attached to the Billet box using 3m super sticky double sided glue tape. I was cautious about using a permanent solution but the glue is up to you. The yupo has a semi gloss finish so the glue chosen has to work on mixed media and non porous surfaces.

Before I forget, the yupo paper is white so eill show through on the edges. I run a black sharpie round the edges of both the panels and buttons.mm Or you can use any colour you want.

it is early days but the resin will continue to harden, can be sanded and buffed/polished if it needs it and also this particular resin is self repairing so additional coats can be applied if necessary.

I thought Vaping was addictive but this is extremely satisfying and easy to do. The inks have a mind of their own and I discovered the hard part is to stop tinkering with a piece.

These inks are so versatile........you can even paint with fire (on tiles) to get some great patterns.

Last edited:

redrebel821

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2015
Houston area
I have been tinkering with updating the look of my Billet Boxes for quite a while now from wraps to wood to embossing to metals but each of them while very pretty had something annoying to their use. Then I stumbled across alcohol inks and patina paints. Well a new addiction was born. the Billet Box is such an easy mod to update. The flat paces with panel insets is just a perfect mod for this process and the design is up to your imagination.

Firstly thanks to all the YouTube crafters that show their work with alcohol inks and to the woodworkers who taught me how to create faux burls with wood stains. The techniques translate across to alcohol inks perfectly and there are too many of you to link.

Some pics of the finished billet boxes and then the detailed pics showing the process.

My favourite :D

Some Green panels

The current lot. Some of them are not quite right but plenty of time, ink and resin to make more.

I am also toying with some of the more subtle stone like designs and will update as I go.

Gorgeous work!

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Because the resin is flexible for quite a while, I have been experimenting with curved panels. These are some practice ones for istick 60w panels. The concept is to apply the inks to a flat flexible surface, coat with resin, attach to the panel with a light strength adhesive tape, maintain the shape with masking tape and allow to cure/harden properly. Once it is completely cured in the desired shape then it can be affixed more permanently

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
I hope you has as much fun as I am having playing with these inks. Every time I do them they are all different.
hi krisma !
most beautiful htings to do to a mod I have ever seen ! stunnig for sure.
got some questions ...what is yupo paper ? like inkjet photo paper ?
also what resin you are using ? an epoxy ? used epoxy a lot also aluminite clear which is a urethane the problem with that it hardens to rockhard very fast . like the idea of being able to shape things after partial cure and like the slow cure as well ...wonder if that resin is available in the us
thanks

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
hi krisma !
most beautiful htings to do to a mod I have ever seen ! stunnig for sure.
got some questions ...what is yupo paper ? like inkjet photo paper ?
also what resin you are using ? an epoxy ? used epoxy a lot also aluminite clear which is a urethane the problem with that it hardens to rockhard very fast . like the idea of being able to shape things after partial cure and like the slow cure as well ...wonder if that resin is available in the us
thanks

Morning thank you, I am chuffed with the result.

Yupo is a synthetic paper that is non pourous. I choose Yupo because you can get it in various weights so you can play with the flexibility.
https://www.amazon.com/Yupo-Polypro...67&sr=8-1&keywords=yupo+paper+for+alcohol+ink
The resin layer thickness is all about the amount you pour. It will hold itself and dome quite high if you keep adding resin. The trick is to play with the amounts until you find the thickness you want. The link is to an example and I am sure you can find it at places close to you.

I am using an Australian equivalent of the USA Envirotex gloss or ice resin. https://www.amazon.com/Environmenta...id=1472334329&sr=8-1&keywords=Envirotex+glass It is specifically designed to be low fume and non toxic so can be used indoors in a well aired room. It also mixes 1:1 so I don't have to do the maths :p The panels do set rock hard in about 48 hours but there is a window after 8hours where the panels are semi cured and are flexible (for shaping or trimming) but the surface is hard enough to take a bit of handling. When it is fully cured it can be sanded and polished and it will self repair by adding a little bit more to the area.

I am a bit of a novice in the use of resin so I choose this type because it was easy, resilient and I could do it indoors. It's also winter over here so the temperature will play a part.

Last edited:

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I finished a couple purple ones yesterday. Purple seems to be a colour that interacts with the resin slightly and I have had a bit of trouble getting the colour I want. This one looks lovely (top two pics, the bottom 2 are not quite right)

Someone suggested that this resin technique could be used over anything you want and I agree. As long as what you are covering is stable enough to support the weight of the resin pour then I would say give it a whirl. For me this was about playing with the inks so my focus has been on that, I would love to see other peoples pieces and designs.

The other thing is that you can colour the resin for another different effect. I have not played with that yet but you could get some very interesting combinations with that technique as well.

Last edited:

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
Morning thank you, I am chuffed with the result.

Yupo is a synthetic paper that is non pourous. I choose Yupo because you can get it in various weights so you can play with the flexibility.
https://www.amazon.com/Yupo-Polypro...67&sr=8-1&keywords=yupo+paper+for+alcohol+ink
The resin layer thickness is all about the amount you pour. It will hold itself and dome quite high if you keep adding resin. The trick is to play with the amounts until you find the thickness you want. The link is to an example and I am sure you can find it at places close to you.

I am using an Australian equivalent of the USA Envirotex gloss or ice resin. https://www.amazon.com/Environmenta...id=1472334329&sr=8-1&keywords=Envirotex+glass It is specifically designed to be low fume and non toxic so can be used indoors in a well aired room. It also mixes 1:1 so I don't have to do the maths :p The panels do set rock hard in about 48 hours but there is a window after 8hours where the panels are semi cured and are flexible (for shaping or trimming) but the surface is hard enough to take a bit of handling. When it is fully cured it can be sanded and polished and it will self repair by adding a little bit more to the area.

I am a bit of a novice in the use of resin so I choose this type because it was easy, resilient and I could do it indoors. It's also winter over here so the temperature will play a part.
thank you very much for info and links ! will place an order for some of the stuff soon . something new to play with . I build a lot of mods and battery holders with epoxy resin glass and carbon fiber layup all diy .now find myselv making silicone molds and casting some parts for it . lots of fun
sure loking forward to doll up some of my projects ...thanks for the thread and all the pictures

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
thank you very much for info and links ! will place an order for some of the stuff soon . something new to play with . I build a lot of mods and battery holders with epoxy resin glass and carbon fiber layup all diy .now find myselv making silicone molds and casting some parts for it . lots of fun
sure loking forward to doll up some of my projects ...thanks for the thread and all the pictures

You can actually make your own inks using the insides of sharpies (permanent markers) I did that and used them frivolously to practice on white tiles or transparencies. That way I did not spend a lot while I learnt what the different techniques did.

To use sharpies remove the nib, and wiggle the top off the tube. Inside there is a poly type fibre inside a tougher tube. Split the tube and soak that plus the nib in isopropyle alcohol. I used 50ml ISO per sharpie. Shake and leave overnight.
The pigments are not the best quality but they are enough for you to use.

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
We also make our own mods but the billet box panels have been a passion for a while. :p
krisma !
here in the us we have a store called hobby lobby they have a kit with 3 inks blending solution and one bottle called mixative . its a nice gold metallic .also has other stuff and some paper ...sure looks like high gloss inkjet photo paper . and with a coupon 40% of was cheaper then elsewhere for three bottles of ink , with schipping .
they also have the ice resin . but small bottles will see if I can find it in larger quanteties .
just finished a pwm mod works great . doming I understand but used it only for like on a magnetic switch a piece of bullet casing and filled it with resin after one of the magnet are glued in , makes one part of the switch and at the same time a nice botton. also drilled a hole in the outer casing backed up with scotch tape and a few drops of resin . makes a little lens to put a very small led behind .
hope I wont have to much of a learning curve with the flat panel types . it looks you poor it on and don't use a pipette or syringe . all in one shot ? or in two layers ?
another thing I will try later is to use a chuck I build for cutting glass tubing it has a gear reduction motor on it. used it for varnishing and works great no runs . should work with the resin to .will try and let you know.
are we having fun jet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread