Status
Not open for further replies.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
So they are at least 3 years old from date of purchase, and could have been sitting on a shelf for a year or so before that.

Do they have any charge on them? They may be totally dead, or with a voltage below 2.5 volts.

In any case, I'd put a PM in to Mooch to see what he says if I were you.

Thanks for the feedback.

This is why I wanted to know since I just found them when I was cleaning out a closet. They were in a cool dark place for 3 years since my date of purchase.

Back in the day, I was using this battery type in a vamo. I hate that I wasted this money but I'll just pitch for safety's sake.

Better safe than sorry. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Candlepower forums say 3 to 5 years storage at 60% charge on lithium batteries. After that they start to develop internal resistance that can affect how well they hold a charge.

I have several AW 18650's that are up to five years old. They probably aren't as good as brand new ones, but they work fine. It's too many charges and discharges over time that wear out lithium batteries. They develop dendrite growth from heavy charge and discharge that can eventually begin to short out the internals. Charge them at a low setting .5A (500ma) to recondition them.

If they charge and work fine, I'd use them.

Reactions: Baditude

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So, Sony isn't going to be making 18650 cells for sale to the general public? I just ordered 3 VTC4's for my RX200S from RTDVapor a few days ago. The battery life isn't what I expected, but they are 2100mah cells. On my xtar VC4 they charge up and show 2060mah capacity. Maybe they'll condition up to rated 2100mah capacity with a couple more cycles.

I'm going to order some LG HG2's (3000mah/20A) for the RX200S for longer vape times.

My Xtar VC4 is a new charger that I just ordered. It's a 4 bay charger, but won't charge more than 2 cells at 1A. For 3 or 4 cells it backs down to .5A. That's OK as long as you have another matched triplet to use while the first three are charging.

I like the VC4's display with its speedometer style charge indicators that give you a visual indication of the voltage level as the cells charge. It will give you a reading on the MAH capacity of the cells when charging is complete.

Review of the Xtar VC4.
Review of Charger Xtar VC4

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Update on the Xtar VC4 charger. It was acting strangely when I tried to charge more than one battery at a time. It would start high and then downshift to as low as .375A. That's a long time to charge!

Long story short, the problem was my RooPower multiport USB wall power supply. It's rated at 2.1A per port up to the 8A max current level for multiple port use on the adapter. My AboveTek USB voltage/current meter showed it delivering 380ma when charging. I switched over to the EasyACC mutiport USB adapter and it worked as advertised, delivering 2A to the charger and charging two 18650's at 1A charge rate on each bay. The problem was the inability of my RooPower 8A 5 port adapter to deliver rated current.

So, if you have an Xtar VC4 that charges at lower current on the display than it should, try another USB wall power supply that's rated at 2A or higher per port. Just because it says it can do 2A doesn't mean it will.

Order this one from Xtar for $6.95 to get one you know will work.
5V 2.1A USB Wall Adaptor Plug

Last edited:
Reactions: pufZeppelin

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
No, apparently they were shooting for competitive purchase price and thinking that everyone has a good 2A USB wall wart.
I charged 4 new batteries last night and they took over 12 hours. 1 or 2 are quick, but 4 from 3.4v takes forever.

Does anyone know of a less expensive option for a 2A wall wart? $6.95 from XTAR is fine, but $24.95 shipping not so much!

Ideally Fasttech or similar....

Would something like this do the job? $6.17 Free Shipping PINENG WZTX-C072 USB Wall Charger Power Adapter (WZTX-C072, White, US) at m.FastTech.com

Thanks!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I charged 4 new batteries last night and they took over 12 hours. 1 or 2 are quick, but 4 from 3.4v takes forever.

Does anyone know of a less expensive option for a 2A wall wart? $6.95 from XTAR is fine, but $24.95 shipping not so much!

Ideally Fasttech or similar....

Would something like this do the job? $6.17 Free Shipping PINENG WZTX-C072 USB Wall Charger Power Adapter (WZTX-C072, White, US) at m.FastTech.com

Thanks!
umm

This may work for you
XTAR 5V 2.1A US wall adaptor for XTAR VC4 charger | eBay

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Nillkin AC Adapter 2.0A @lygte-info.dk
Here: nillkin ac - Buy Cheap nillkin ac - From Banggood
A straightforward, affordable quality solution.
Use a high quality cable without connector damage or wire pinches, as the voltage drop over the cable is proportional to the amount of current crossing it times its resistance, connectors included.

Now, for those with selfbuilt modding spirit, a standard switching PSU with adjustable Vout: chenmiju2009's AC 100V-240V DC 5V 5A Adjust Universal Regulated Switching Power Supply 25W New o_O

Have a nice day lasses and lads :)

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
That's my question. I've been on various battery forums, etc. about the XSTAR VC4 wall wart. I've heard a complaint about the Xstar brand and wanted to know what the issue was and what would be my better options. Thanks.
I love the VC4 and just bought a 2a wall watt from Amazon. Works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread