Hi. New member and new to vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naazim

Sep 26, 2016
Zimbabwe
HI everyone. I'm new here and relatively new to vaping. I've been a heavy smoker for 25 years and three weeks ago I decided to try vaping and I'm loving it. But as a Newby I find getting into vaping very confusing. Wonder why it's been made so complicated, all these settings and issues, makes me understand why so many people I know that tried it gave up without giving it a chance. I just purchased a EVIC V2Mini. Struggled to get it set right and still have a few issues.thanks for letting me post and for having me here

Reactions: Cheallaigh

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Welcome Naazim, gone are the days of the simple cartomizer and 3.7 eGo. It can be very confusing for someone just starting out, especially if there isn't a local store nearby to visit to get some help. Luckily most websites have some sort of decent starter kits that can have you up and vaping right out of the box. After that, research and reviewing will help you dial in your setup to your taste. Keep at it and you'll get there. Good luck!

Reactions: Naazim

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
... as a Newby I find getting into vaping very confusing. Wonder why it's been made so complicated, all these settings and issues, makes me understand why so many people I know that tried it gave up without giving it a chance.
To answer your question, we must discuss the history of vaping. For the most part, vaping has only been around for about 10 years so the industry is still in its infancy. We owe the progression of e-cigarette technology to the type of batteries that are available to the industry.

The first products came exclusively from China. The only thing available at that time were ciga-likes, those cigarette-sized batteries that you can still find in convenience stores and gas stations.

Because of ciga-likes' horrid battery time, some innovative folks decided to "mod" flashlights and other tube-shaped pipes in order to use larger removeable, rechargeable batteries like 18650's. eGo batteries, in between the size of a cigalike and the typical mod, came on the scene there after.

With better batteries came better vaping technology. More powerful batteries allowed for better vaping experiences and longer use between charges. Fixed voltage batteries gave way to variable voltage and variable wattage battery devices, a huge improvement to be able to adjust your vape. Just a couple of years ago the most powerful mods were capable of 15 watts; today we have mods capable of nearly 250 watts.

Atomizers, the part that hold the e-liquid and vaporizes it, progressively became better along with better batteries. We have gone from cartridges to cartomizers to clearomizers to rebuildable atomizers. We've come a LONG way in just the last few years.

Things may seem more complicated today, but with that we get more options to be able to adjust our vape to our individual preferences. The below video shows a history of vape products.

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
I've written a blog of numerous vaping topics for the beginner to intermediate vaper. You may find some helpful info there:

Baditude's Blogs

Last edited:
Reactions: Naazim

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
HI everyone. I'm new here and relatively new to vaping. I've been a heavy smoker for 25 years and three weeks ago I decided to try vaping and I'm loving it. But as a Newby I find getting into vaping very confusing. Wonder why it's been made so complicated, all these settings and issues, makes me understand why so many people I know that tried it gave up without giving it a chance. I just purchased a EVIC V2Mini. Struggled to get it set right and still have a few issues.thanks for letting me post and for having me here

I got frustrated learning too. I started 3 weeks ago. Ask any questions you have here, everyone is super friendly. Baditude has helped me so much. As much as there's a learning curve, you're also gaining knowledge, gaining a hobby, saving lots of money and improving your health. For me, it's been well worth the 20 hours of reading I have done. It's also great knowing I have the knowledge to keep myself safe when putting electronics in my mouth. That peace of mind is worth 50x what I paid for my mod!
Good job on quitting, keep it up !

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. Don't feel too bad, you are not the first to leap into advanced vape gear and skip the fun of finding what works best for you. Suggest you begin at the start of vaping. Might learn the right way and solve your problem(s). Not to worry, your battery (EVIC V2Mini) is a very good mod. You may want to invest in a different (beginners) tank that will fit your mod.

Might want to do non sub-ohm first (Over1 ohms, pretty much uses the same equipment, the coil/wick is built different). You will get great flavor but the cloud production is not as intense as you can produce with sub ohm'g.
Could look into the pros and cons of sub ohm'g vs non sub ohm'g before you decide which way you want to go. Some folks jump right into sub ohm'g without looking at the hidden ramifications.Successful sub ohm'rs tend to know the ins and outs of vaping. That's why sub ohm'g is tagged as advanced vaping.
Might like to read:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Beginner | Guide To Vaping
http://onvaping.com/guide/beginners...cig-battery-basics-cig-a-likes-egos-and-mods/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum
(4) Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor | E-Cigarette Forum

Naazim

Sep 26, 2016
Zimbabwe
Awe
Welcome and glad you joined. Don't feel too bad, you are not the first to leap into advanced vape gear and skip the fun of finding what works best for you. Suggest you begin at the start of vaping. Might learn the right way and solve your problem(s). Not to worry, your battery (EVIC V2Mini) is a very good mod. You may want to invest in a different (beginners) tank that will fit your mod.

Might want to do non sub-ohm first (Over1 ohms, pretty much uses the same equipment, the coil/wick is built different). You will get great flavor but the cloud production is not as intense as you can produce with sub ohm'g.
Could look into the pros and cons of sub ohm'g vs non sub ohm'g before you decide which way you want to go. Some folks jump right into sub ohm'g without looking at the hidden ramifications.Successful sub ohm'rs tend to know the ins and outs of vaping. That's why sub ohm'g is tagged as advanced vaping.
Might like to read:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
One Stop Reference Shop For New and Experienced Vapers
Beginner | Guide To Vaping
http://onvaping.com/guide/beginners...cig-battery-basics-cig-a-likes-egos-and-mods/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum
(4) Good Starter Setups for a Beginning Vapor | E-Cigarette Forum
Awesome. Thanks

Reactions: BrotherBob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread