What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Oh, she's much more than a roommate. She's more like the unfortunates in our society and I'm much more like our government. I provide the housing, the transportation and utilities as well as a Roth phone. Plus when that's not enough, I'm there to pick up the tab when it's still not enough. I feel so much like a Democrat without using other people's money to provide all that generosity and without the real goal of collecting votes. I do get the benefit of one too large a dinner at the end of the day, but I've learned to eat less and fatten up my dog instead of me.

Speaking of which, I finally got back on the exercise kick after reaching the end of focusing on my uncle the last year and my mom for the three years prior. I'm back to walking every morning and take my dog to insure he can work off the extra food he's getting that I'm not eating. I've got to work off 4 years of thinking about other people's health more than my own. The dog is quite the inspiration. If I try to oversleep he starts whining in my face, much to my dislike, before the sun starts to rise lately. I'll hold him off until I can at least get started with some light appearing.

Reactions: Guttermouth

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Roth, that's great that you're getting back to taking care of yourself after so long. I fell off the exercise wagon for the most part the past couple months. It had just been busy between looking for a car for my youngest daughter and all of her school activities and getting my oldest ready to go back to college. The things going on gave me an excuse to be somewhat lazy and skip many workouts. My youngest got her license and things are starting to slow down so as of last week I'm almost back to somewhat of a normal schedule. It's good that you have the dog to keep you motivated too.

Rebel, I saw that sale. I priced three rolls of mint with shipping and it came out to 3.17 a can. That's not terrible but not great either compared to local prices. I think I've got about 25 cans right now so I could either order or not. If there was a group buy then I'd probably be more motivated.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    That's a good price and if I take advantage of it, I avoid the $.55/oz PA tax that takes effect Oct 1st. Tough decision when I have a good stash already but the Mint holds up so well when kept in the freezer. hmmm Hitt, I tested 10 rolls and it came out to $2.56/can, it's all about volume. I really have to consider this. Locally I've been paying $3.50 plus with tax and at will be round $4 after the end of the month. After that, I become a felon if I don't pay the tribute to the State tax gods. That Speedway deal sounds sweet. I haven't seen a single deal around here but it's not like I stop regularly.

Yeah Hitt, it's been too long. I managed to move up 2 belt sizes since my mother's fall and broken hip. I just haven't had the inspiration to get on a regular program. Now I've got the dog that looks at me in the morning saying "Let's Go!" with his eyes. I can't wait until my calves stop hurting. Each day they're getting a little better. I've got a lung sucking hill to my right that I climb first, turn around come back to my driveway and go the other direction that is all downhill but a little less steep, then turn around and huff it back up to my house. Each day I go another house longer each way (or a couple telephone polls if it's too big a gap). It's about a 1.7 mile loop right now. I only had 8600 steps recorded when I got home this afternoon and did a shorter second walk to get to that 10k they say you should do each day.

Reactions: The Rebel

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I just love home repair. Today it's an electric outlet, tomorrow something else I'm sure. These are all firsts for me. I've never had an outlet fail, it's always been a tripped breaker but it's the only outlet in the room not working. Problem is, it's right behind a huge cedar chest. Anything to add work to the day.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Good luck moving that chest. A week or so ago I had every exterior door not closing right and had to tweak them. Just curious, that outlet isn't on a gfci circuit is it? You could have a gfci tripped. Might be worth checking before you move the chest.

Reactions: Guttermouth

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    The joys of home ownership. If I'm not fixing something around the house it doesn't feel right. Next up is installing some hooks in the ceiling of my garage to get the boys bikes off the floor and out of the way for winter. I put some in many years ago for my wife's and mine, but the boys bikes were small then and easy to find a corner for. Now that their bikes are full size, they just take up valuable floor space. After that it's time to winterize the camper and get it closed up so the mice have somewhere to sleep when it gets cold. And I also have to patch a few holes in the camper cover before I throw it on. That should get me through the weekend and leave me well rested for the work week. :rolleyes:

Reactions: firechick

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    That reminds me that I need to winterize the pressure washer and drag the snowthrower out of the shed to make sure it's going to run. I really need to pressure wash the deck but I don't know if I'm going to get to it before the weather turns.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    GFI was the first thing I checked. Well actually I checked the fuse box first. Then when you mentioned it, I even went out on the back deck and checked that outlet, even though I knew it wasn't on the same circuit.

I took the outlet off and still no juice so it wasn't that. I'm starting to suspect our awning project. We missed a few drillings when we were looking for a stud at 16 inch centers until we realized we were working with 24s.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Okay, to show what I put up with. Now after eliminating any possible, normal electrical problem- fuse, GFI or bad outlet, now it was time to look at other possibilities. Now I didn't have the house built, but unless the builder was a farmer (my parents old house was built by a farmer), the outlet had to be strung along with two others on the two walls, but they were working. It made no sense to me that anything we did with the awning would have anything to do with it so I was stumped.

When she got home, I questioned her on when the TV went off. She hadn't rolled the awning Monday night and it rained Tuesday so I had gone out Tuesday night and it was working after that so that wasn't the issue. I finally got to, "It was working last night and I fell asleep, when I got up, it wasn't on." Dumbfounded I said I'd investigate tomorrow and ran an extension cord from one of the other outlets and went into the living room.

I couldn't have been here more than five minutes and I get, "Come here, I want to show you something". Annoyed I asked what she wanted to show me. She said she thought she found the problem. Here, somehow, she flipped a wall switch that outlet was on. Of course she had no idea how it got turned off. I told her that I sure didn't turn it off as I woke up in my LR/BR, took the dog on a 2 mile walk and heard about the TV not working when I got home. Then she said, "I had this hanging there, maybe it flipped the switch". She had some doodad she picked up at a thrift store hanging on the switch. My guess is either its weight or her getting up in the middle of the night bumped it and turned the switch off.

Mental note to self, keep the bullets out of reach.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Of course. I did that while she was out, probably buying more junk to annoy me. LOL I got in over 13k steps according to fit bit so I'll write it off as exercise. I got the section of deck rebuilt after I could go no further on the outlet. Thank god for reciprocating saws. The rest of the deck will be next year's project. The deck is at least 20 years old and it is due. I'm even thinking about getting the hot tub worked on and up and running again if I'm going to redo the deck. My body could use it.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    The union runs a fitness challenge at work with gift certificates, T shirts, and whatnot as rewards, so I went and got an Asus Zenwatch 2. You upload your steps to the leaderboards and can see what the other members are getting.

I actually won last week with 250k steps and 6 hours of "bike riding." I don't even own a bike. I turned the reward down because I think it recorded my lawn mowing/yard work driving my tractor around as the bike riding.

Users who are viewing this thread