◙ Li’l PINCH (←thang) ◙ pdib (←maker) ◙ not sayin’ (←just sayin’) ◙ shuh-ZAM! (←hyperbole)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
so, I got that repair job out in the mail today (turned out to be not only full-grown-horse, but a Clydesdale), and meantime I have been working away at the Nutcases. I've got the innards outed (there's no more middle in there), cleaned up, checked for fit, and will have them sealed before off-to-bed. Tomorrow, I'll be cutting some squonk and shaping the shells. I really hope to be getting into finishing early Thursday.

Meantime, I just wanted to broadcast something I've been discussing in PMs lately.

This is about what kinds of woods might be appropriate for Nutters; and I've been thinking that the cap is a bit wider than I think is suitable for "crosscuts" of "straight grain" wood.

Meaning to say that, if all the fibers are running in more or less the same direction ("straight grain"), then the movement of wood tends to become more pronounced in one particular direction or plane. (imagine wee fibers of string all swelling and shrinking . .. they get fatter/skinnier, not longer/shorter).

So, when you get a relatively thin "crosscut" of wood, that's much wider than it is tall . .. you've got a bunch of side↔side motion and no body or ↑↓ structure to keep it in check . . .. consequently, more likelihood of warping.

I'm certainly not saying "no" to straighter grain woods for Nutters; but I am saying that you're increasing your chances (quite a bit, actually) of the cap warping and the seam (cap↔body) getting a bit gappy. The mod oughta still work fine; so it's not critical .. . . but there it is.

In a burl, the fibers are a'chaos. Burls tend to move (expand contract) much more uniformly (in all directions, evenly), and are thusly less prone to warping like that . . .. and there is no crosscut of a burl, really .. . . for the same reason.

Lastly, I'll mention, that if you're wanting to take a chance on a straight grain wood for Nuttercap, some certainly move less than others, and the denser, oilier, more stable woods are probably going to fare better than the softer, more movement-ridden woods. (i.e. Cocobolo is going to beat Maple by a long shot).

Thanks for that detailed info! You're always a wealth of knowledge :thumb: :)

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
OK, I may have exaggerated the "highly paid" part. :cry:
You can help the poor guy out a lot, by sending, along with your block, all the flavorings you tried, and didn't like.
That way he gets to try flavorings that he wouldn't buy on his own, and it saves him a few pennies :evil:
it's always nice to PIF :p

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
P, hope you don't mind me posting this...

Mooch is raising funds for a dedicated vape battery test station, this is the thread for anyone who would like to contribute Mooch is asking for your help

I know he feels uncomfortable asking for help but with all he has invested the community he really shouldn't. He is an invaluable resource, IMO.

Tamer El-Meehy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2014
Cairo, Egypt, Egypt
P, hope you don't mind me posting this...

Mooch is raising funds for a dedicated vape battery test station, this is the thread for anyone who would like to contribute Mooch is asking for your help

I know he feels uncomfortable asking for help but with all he has invested the community he really shouldn't. He is an invaluable resource, IMO.
I think Mooch is an important asset to the global vaping community and we should do whatever we can to support him

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
One might argue THE most valuable asset.

Hint: I would be that one.

Tapatyped
Yes. If you happen to stress batteries within a whisker of their limit.

At 15amps, 25r are proven and the bee is dearer to my heart than mooch.

Still give him dosh. But keep it in perspective lol

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
377f0af8a79c613850ebe63e612e08a2.jpg

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Yes. If you happen to stress batteries within a whisker of their limit.

At 15amps, 25r are proven and the bee is dearer to my heart than mooch.

Still give him dosh. But keep it in perspective lol

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
My perspective...

1 misguided noob EVER got bad information.

That noob was referred to Mooch instead of Baditude.

Invaluable!

It's not me whom I'm worried about stressing their batteries.

Been doing that with bigger, more dangerous packs (not single cells) for years before even considering e-cigs.

I've vented lipos with 180 amp peaks... safely.

I now have lipos that don't break a sweat with that same 180 amp load.

Here's a 2s 40c 5000mah nominal example (200 amp continuous rated).

100_5852_zpscf7a7d01.jpg

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread