Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Finally got around to trying Black For Pipe. The Dark for Pipe made me nervous to try the Black! But it shouldn't have...

Black for Pipe is delicious!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
I was not a fan of Dark for Pipe as I find it has that funk factor that is prevalent in many Inawera blends. To me it has sort of a pruny/fruity type of flavor. It does not agree with my taste buds. I get the same thing from Desert Voyager and a few others from IWA as well.

However, I do enjoy the Black for Pipe. It has more of a tobacco note along with a pipe feel for me. It did take about a month to mature before I enjoyed it though. Was a nice surprise as I put it away and forgot about it then picked it up and thought "not bad". Love when that happens.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The wait for the tobacco flavor to develop through shaking and steeping is excruciating. I find myself sampling juices in hopes that maturity has arrived! Flavor seems to develop overnight after a week to 10 days of shaking and waiting.

I've been looking at YouTube videos for home made magnetic stirrers. It's an easy build with a 12V computer fan, a couple of neodymium magnets and an inexpensive computer fan speed controller, or just an AC to DC wall wart with switchable voltage settings. I've got to have one.

I'd probably build mine in a plastic project box instead of the open design this guy made, but you can see what's going on for demonstration purposes in the video.

Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I've been looking at YouTube videos for home made magnetic stirrers. It's an easy build with a 12V computer fan, a couple of neodymium magnets and an inexpensive computer fan speed controller, or just an AC to DC wall wart with switchable voltage settings. I've got to have one.

A couple things to help you out in making of that magnetic mixer that I used and learned after I made mine over a year and half ago.
-score each side of the fan blades, snap them off then scrape the excess flush. It makes the fan spin faster with less resistance from the blades.
-Use thick double sides tape to hold the magnet in place and easier to center the magnet so it doesn't vibrate the fan/box.
-The wall wart with switchable voltage doesn't work as good as it sounds but does work. I found one setting... too low then switch to next setting... too high and throws the stirbar out of sync.
-I got a 2nd hand fan controller from a comp shop for only a couple bucks as compared to ebay new. Don't get a potentiometer, I found they didn't work well unless you spend big bucks on one.
- cheapo volt meter from somewhere like fasttech for just cosmetic display of the fan speed in volts.
-I also installed a LED light since I have no fan blades to light up the mix to watch it stir, for cosmetic purpose also.
-10, 15, 20mm stirbars are what I use being the 20mm used the most. I found the 25mm is a bit big and gets thrown easily using hardrive magnets.
Good luck and I know once you start using a mixer, you'll never shake another bottle again.

Something else you can do is try it as soon as you make it. If you feel it isn't ok, wait another day. If it's still not ok, one more day. Frankly, I'm not saying it's all in the mind but a lot of it seems to really be in the mind.

You don't have to keep shaking your juices on a regular basis. Just shake it well once and wait - or not, that's up to you.

But I can understand the pleasure in "maturing" juices as if they were a really fine wine. :)

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
The wait for the Tobacco flavor to develop through shaking and steeping is excruciating. I find myself sampling juices in hopes that maturity has arrived! Flavor seems to develop overnight after a week to 10 days of shaking and waiting.
I'd probably build mine in a plastic project box instead of the open design this guy made, but you can see what's going on for demonstration purposes in the video.

first time I saw one of those "mixers" I thought black magic... :sneaky:

then I always see those 'shakers' or agitators on like the CSI crime shows and such and thought they might be cool (think paint can shaker)
but WOW! they are very expensive !

upload_2016-9-27_20-44-39.png

;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
A couple things to help you out in making of that magnetic mixer that I used and learned after I made mine over a year and half ago.
-score each side of the fan blades, snap them off then scrape the excess flush. It makes the fan spin faster with less resistance from the blades.
-Use thick double sides tape to hold the magnet in place and easier to center the magnet so it doesn't vibrate the fan/box.
-The wall wart with switchable voltage doesn't work as good as it sounds but does work. I found one setting... too low then switch to next setting... too high and throws the stirbar out of sync.
-I got a 2nd hand fan controller from a comp shop for only a couple bucks as compared to ebay new. Don't get a potentiometer, I found they didn't work well unless you spend big bucks on one.
- cheapo volt meter from somewhere like fasttech for just cosmetic display of the fan speed in volts.
-I also installed a LED light since I have no fan blades to light up the mix to watch it stir, for cosmetic purpose also.
-10, 15, 20mm stirbars are what I use being the 20mm used the most. I found the 25mm is a bit big and gets thrown easily using hardrive magnets.
Good luck and I know once you start using a mixer, you'll never shake another bottle again.

Somewhere in my computer parts junk box I have a potentiometer based computer fan speed controller. I may have given it away to a friend.

Newegg has a Zalman controller for about $8, but all you need is a resistor once you find the right speed for mixing juice. A one watt resistor has enough headroom to control a fan, but a 1 watt potentiometer will provide variable control. Chances are that you will find a sweet spot and never change it, but that can change if you switch stir bar sizes for different quantities or various PG and VG mixes of different quantities. I usually mix several 50ml bottles of different flavors at a time.

After building my own computers since the 80s I still have a junk box of fans, cards, and other accessories I've accumulated over time. I like the black plastic project box design that provides a nice flat surface for the beaker and plenty of room for the fan and internal wiring.

I was thinking about using round neodymium magnets I buy from Northern Tools instead of hard drive/CD drive magnets. I may still have a couple of each in my computer junk box, though. Is a neodymium drive magnet better or worse than a couple of dime sized neodymium magnets?

ETA: if you decide to just use a potentiometer, make sure it's a LINEAR pot, not a logarithmic (audio taper) pot. The latter is for controlling audio and its curve starts off normally and jumps quickly to match the loudness response of the human ear.

As AlterUrEgo said, a computer fan controller is probably the best solution.

Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I had one of the larger project boxes I bought years ago I used. All I had was a hardrive magnet so that what I used. I wasn't sure about other magnets so if I do come across a magnet with more pull than the HD magnet then I'll change the magnets around. I would see it as a mess with silicone or glue to try to set the magnet so it balances, the double sided tape makes it easier to adjust to balance the magnet.
As to speed up steep time, that I don't know since I let all of my mixes sit at least 3 weeks+ before I vape them since I have a nice back stock that allows me to steep for prolong periods of time.
I did make a short vid of my mixer but that was before I put a volt/speed display where the Harley pin is and a small LED light so I didn't have to use a flashlight to light up the mix.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have learned from experience that seed steeping is the fastest method. Nothing else compares....

From the posts of others I'd agree.

And then, there are many that say 3 hours with a magnetic stirrer brings the juice to a steep level equal to a week to 10 days of shaking and waiting. Maybe the stirrer box needs four fans and magnets and four rings on top like a small stove to do several new mixes a a time.

I plan to test that theory when I get the parts together and the time to build. I'm building forearm muscle tone shaking half a dozen 60ml bottles 4 or 5 times a day. I can do that with my curl bar while the magnetic mixer runs. ;)

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
And then, there are many that say 3 hours with a magnetic stirrer brings the juice to a steep level equal to a week to 10 days of shaking and waiting.

Seed steeping cuts down my steeping time by as much as 75%. If a magnetic stirrer can do better, then by all means, go for it. I personally remain skeptical.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Seed steeping cuts down my steeping time by as much as 75%. If a magnetic stirrer can do better, then by all means, go for it. I personally remain skeptical.

Lots of people say that juice is vapable the next day and I've done that and thought a juice wasn't bad on day two. A week later it's a whole different flavor once the molecules have time to mix completely. I need to try seed steeping.

I think what the magnetic stirrer does is mix more completely in a much shorter time. There are some who swear by a hot water bath for the bottles. Some place the bottles in hot water in an ultrasonic cleaner. The cleaner keeps the water warm and adds additional high frequency vibrations to aid faster mixing.

The only thing I know for sure is that if I wait a week I get better juice ... if I shake it several times a day while I wait. :)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I don't put my nicotine on my initial mixing step so I can beat the mix as much as I want so having it on the mixer for a couple hours would ensure complete mixing along with cutting down steep time but steeping isn't a issue with me. The next day after the bubbles have settled I add the Nic and mix it a lot slower not to add unnecessary air into the mix.
I can't prove but I do assume that with sweet mixes you can overmix and they darken faster. I've had a couple sweeter mixes darken faster than other of the same mix, my wife's cotton candy/desert ship mix as my example has different tones of the exact same mix. My HS tobaccos hardly darken at all past the golden color when I take it off the mixer to sit.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I have learned from experience that seed steeping is the fastest method. Nothing else compares....

I've been doing that without realizing there was a term for it. :thumb:

BTW - @dannyv45: What percentage do you use for Elder Captain? I mixed it at 6%, but wanted to see what you think.

mechanism

Jan 6, 2013
    UK

This is what I've been doing for a long time. It's just so easy :) I've tried other methods, the one that seemed to me the worst was applying heat to the juice (such as the crockpot method which seemed to muddy the flavour). I love my clean-tasting Hangsen flavours and with seed-steeping I find that I can vape them after just a day or two of letting them rest.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Along the lines of steeping, does anyone have guidelines for Tobacco Absolute wait or steeping time?

I put one drop of MFS Tobacco Absolute in about 40ml of HS Red USA Mix that had been steeping about 4 days and the immediate result was pretty nasty even after much shaking. The next day the mix turned several shades from a pale yellowish color to a reddish amber. A few days later and it's starting to develop a cigarette taste that just might be made really good with a little caramel flavoring.

MFS TA is cut with 50% PG, FWIW. I shook the heck out of it before adding a drop, but with those small flavor bottles it's hard to shake it enough to feel like you mixed it.

Last edited:

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2014
    guidelines for Tobacco Absolute wait or steeping time?

I really don't have a guidline, but this is my thought on TA's:

TA's are one of those love'em or hate'em things. Before I started doing my NET rituals, I was in the love'em camp. TA's (such as the MFS) offered me that heavenly hard, grassy, hayish and musty tobacco note in my synthetic tobacco mixes. I found doing a dilution of about 4 or 5 drops of TA to 9ml of PG and 1ml of EM was pleasing to add at 5 to 10% to any tobacco mix Then, a week or two steep time didn't hurt and often times helped. ;)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    I put one drop of MFS Tobacco Absolute in about 40ml of HS Red USA Mix that had been steeping about 4 days and the immediate result was pretty nasty even after much shaking.

Kinda sounds like your using the 50% diluted stuff which is still to strong to use straight. I would use about 4 drops to 10ml of PG or 50/50 pg/pga base then use that as your TA concentrate at about 5 - 10%.

Reactions: Slots
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread