So now you can even get killed for vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I can understand why people might think that this was an unjustified shooting, but I believe it was justified. I've had a fair bit of training with firearms, including scenario-based training regarding the use of force continuum. More so than is required by most law enforcement officers. I thought it was important to do so when I obtained a concealed carry permit that allows me to carry a firearm in 34 states across the nation (but not the state where I live, although that's an entirely different discussion).

Put in that exact same situation -- as an officer with a person who has repeatedly refused to take their hands out of their pockets, who suddenly pulls an object from their pockets (which appears to have a gun barrel sticking out the front), grasps it with both hands as you would a firearm, and points it at you in a common shooting stance -- I would have fired too. I would have been greatly disturbed when I learned that it was not actually a firearm, as I am sure the officer involved is. But information learned after the fact does not retroactively make the shooting unjustified.

guambred

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Guam, USA
7bf168a319c9999815c97a02661cefd2.jpg
both images are of very real, very lethal zip guns. Pretty similar to a tube mod. Now imagine you only had a split second to decide if it's a mod or a gun.
gun5.jpg

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
The police do an incredibly dangerous and these days a thankless job. Most people who criticise them haven't the faintest clue about what they are asked to do on a daily basis.
Walk a mile in my shoes.
See what I see,
Hear what I hear,
Feel what I feel,
Then maybe you will understand why I do what I do.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
So still, the only relation to vaping I can draw from this thread is, if you are in a confrontational situation with the police, do not quickly withdraw your mod from your pocket and assume a Weaver stance pointing your mod at the armed, highly alert, and ready police officer or he or she may respond in a very predictable manner and disable you with deadly force, as is an appropriate response to the actions and visual clues that you present them with. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
So still, the only relation to vaping I can draw from this thread is, if you are in a confrontational situation with the police, do not quickly withdraw your mod from your pocket and assume a Weaver stance pointing your mod at the armed, highly alert, and ready police officer or he or she may respond in a very predictable manner and disable you with deadly force, as is an appropriate response to the actions and visual clues that you present them with. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Yeah, something like that. Unless you happen along police with "special training" and mystical powers that can tell you mean no one harm, then your good.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I do think it's fortunate that video and photos were available, as I can completely understand someone hearing about an officer shooting a man holding a vape mod would sound outrageous. It also illustrates how important it is for episodes to be carefully examined before jumping to conclusions.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
So still, the only relation to vaping I can draw from this thread is, if you are in a confrontational situation with the police...
I think the relevance of this incident is to see how the media will somehow link the dangers of "vaping" to it.

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
not all cops are inherently good people, nor are they better than regular people. they chose to protect citizens and lay their lives on the line, its great and brave, but everytime there's a story about a police officer who shoots somebody, particularly unarmed, the line that gets touted the most is 'but you don't understand because you're not a cop. they risk their lives for your safety' when all i can think is 'was this guy trained properly?' 'has this police officer faced situations like this before?' and 'should they continue to be a police officer?' and in this instance 'how was a pv mistaken for a gun?'.
there are many things cops do very well. they've helped myself, my siblings and mother many times, but heaven forbid i be mentally ill, have something thats somewhat similar in shape to a gun, a fake gun, i'm an ethnic minority or i reach for my drivers licence when being asked to identify myself. they're really not the best people in the world, they're an average person with little training and a gun, scared for their lives. the only difference in your job, and cops, is their mistakes can be lethal to others or themselves. it takes somebody very well adjusted with great instincts to be able to make accurate split second decisions, most cops don't have the instinct.
more training and screening, and rejection needs to happen when joining the force.
#sorryifitriggeredyou
get it? triggered? .....cringe

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
... they risk their lives for your safety' when all i can think is 'was this guy trained properly?' 'has this police officer faced situations like this before?' and 'should they continue to be a police officer?' and in this instance 'how was a pv mistaken for a gun?'.
There is no "cookie cutter" training that teaches an individual how to deal with his/her own self preservation. When faced with this kind of situation, right or wrong, nobody can honestly say what they'd do. (Especially without the benefit of hindsight).

Reminds me of a co-worker who got robbed at gunpoint back in the 70's. He was chastised and eventually fired for not pressing the silent alarm which was the "procedure" at the time. He was scared out of his wits and was just doing what the assailant demanded. Needless to say, the ensuing lawsuit he filed changed that policy in a hurry and cost a few jobs.

And to keep this on topic he is a vaper today. I converted him. :)

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Training,screening ,and sometimes rejection is what happens before and after you go to the Academy. Maybe it's the people not complying who need more training.
Edit-As far as rejections the county my brother serves has a 98% failure rate meaning only 2% of the people who enter the academy become Police officers.

Last edited:
Reactions: sawlight

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
You mean his intentional agressive action right?
Pretending to draw a gun on armed officers?
Yes. I believe he would be alive if he hadn't threatened officers with an object he pretended to be a gun.
The "keep in mind" comment refers to propaganda and politics surrounding the incident.
The media tends to portray him afyer the fact as a victim.
He was a victim of his own agressive action.
I wouldn't even point a FINGER at a nervous cop, these days

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Training,screening ,and sometimes rejection is what happens before and after you go to the Academy. Maybe it's the people not complying who need more training.
I support our LEOs. Especially here.
No sane person would say it was a bad shoot.

However there are problems with law enforcement officers and their departments.

Most local police officers of sheriff's deputys do not attend a "police academy".

Thats only in a few very specific, very large cities.
Most are simply hired after a application and background check.
Ill add that there is a serious issue with untrained, unqualified officers in this country.
Its a recent change.
Officers didnt used to be afraid to do the job they asked to do like many are today.
With great power comes great responsibility.
I always back LEO when they are in the right.
Im also quick to point out when they are in the wrong
I wouldn't even point a FINGER at a nervous cop, these days

Nervous cops need to find another line of work.
Active law enforcement isnt an easy job.
Not everyone is qualified to carry a badge and gun.

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
accua
I support our LEOs. Especially here.
No sane person would say it was a bad shoot.

However there are problems with law enforcement officers and their departments.

Most local police officers of sheriff's deputys do not attend a "police academy".

Thats only in a few very specific, very large cities.
Most are simply hired after a application and background check.
Ill add that there is a serious issue with untrained, unqualified officers in this country.
Its a recent change.
Officers didnt used to be afraid to do the job they asked to do like many are today.
With great power comes great responsibility.
I always back LEO when they are in the right.
Im also quick to point out when they are in the wrong

Nervous cops need to find another line of work.
Active law enforcement isnt an easy job.
Not everyone is qualified to carry a badge and gun.
Every police officer in the country needs a training certification from a Police Academy.There is no place in the U.S. that hires a police officer without one.Some municipalities also require a degree in criminal justice.
Ask a police officer if he/she thinks they get enough training and they will probably chuckle.They train CONSTANTLY!
Police officers make mistakes.They are human but to say there is a serious problem with untrained officers is hardly the case. The problem right now is a shortage of officers and it is not difficult to see why. I think every citizen should be made to do a ride along with a police officer at least once in there life.Only then could they possibly fathom the stressful,and quite frankly impossible job they do.Imagine going to work everyday with the fear that you will be shot,have to shoot, or possibly go to jail for the rest of your life if you make 1 bad choice.Why should they be nervous ? I don't know a cop who is not somewhat nervous.You would be too. My brother has had to kill 2 people in the line of duty.After the first I lost part of my brother.He was never the same happy guy I grew up with. We should stand up for our Police just like we do for our military because they have just as much to lose.While not infallible there record is quite extraordinary in the scheme of things. IMO they don't get near enough credit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread